SSN on POE / Medical

way2usa

Registered Users (C)
We have received immigrant visas for traveling to US. I thank everyone on the board for answering my questions. I'd like to know about the following things:

(1) Issue of SSN: Do the Immigration officers issue temporary Social Security Numbers to Immigrant Visa holders on Port-Of-Entry? If they don't, then how long will it take for the Social Security Administration to issue a SSN?

(2) Has anyone of you received a visa with another stapled envelope (Which says, "Do Not Open, Only the Health Officer is authorized to do so" or something alike) along with the Main Visa packet? Does this mean any trouble at the Port-Of-Entry? Any idea what information does the envelope contains?

Thanks in advance.. :)

way2usa said:
We have received immigrant visas for traveling to US. I thank everyone on the board for answering my questions. I'd like to know about the following things:

(1) Issue of SSN: Do the Immigration officers issue temporary Social Security Numbers to Immigrant Visa holders on Port-Of-Entry? If they don't, then how long will it take for the Social Security Administration to issue a SSN?

No. Since you already do not have a SSN, are U family based immigrant?

It would be best for you to go to the SSA office and apply for one.

way2usa said:

{The Immigration office at POE has nothing to do with the SS Number.
As suggested above, go to the nearest SS Admin. office and apply.}

(2) Has anyone of you received a visa with another stapled envelope (Which says, "Do Not Open, Only the Health Officer is authorized to do so" or something alike) along with the Main Visa packet? Does this mean any trouble at the Port-Of-Entry? Any idea what information does the envelope contains?

{I am speculating here! This could be because of some medical condition
which requires monitoring or use of some drugs. The physician in India
would have given you some indication about this.

I think whatever the medical condition, it is not serious enough to
deny you a VISA, so you should not have a problem at the POE}

way2usa said:

{The Immigration officer at POE has nothing to do with the SS Number.
As suggested above, go to the nearest SS Admin. office and apply.}

would have given you some indication about this.

I think whatever the medical condition, it is not serious enough to
deny you a VISA, so you should not have a problem at the POE}

{my responses}

Raju

Raju595 said:
{my responses}

Raju

would have given you some indication about this.}

Are there any specific instances like this? Anything specific you can think of?

I DO NOT WANT TO ALARM ANYONE. THE EXTRA ATTACHMENT COULD BE JUST MEANINGLESS.

But, I know of one such case (a student on F1 Visa). An extra envelope was attached to his passport.
This persons Tuberculosis skin test was positive, and the chest X-ray also left room for doubt. This person was allowed entry but a nurse would come to his apartment everyday to administer the medicine, for a few months.
That was all there was to it.

P_L

Pitambar_Lal said:
I DO NOT WANT TO ALARM ANYONE. THE EXTRA ATTACHMENT COULD BE JUST MEANINGLESS.

But, I know of one such case (a student on F1 Visa). An extra envelope was attached to his passport.
This persons Tuberculosis skin test was positive, and the chest X-ray also left room for doubt. This person was allowed entry but a nurse would come to his apartment everyday to administer the medicine, for a few months.
That was all there was to it.

P_L
So who bore the expenses for the nurse. The student or the INS?

Alren Boss,

No, it is not a nightmare because the treatment of TB in the US is through a federally funded program. It means that all expenses borne by local authorities are reimbursed by the Center for Disease Control from funds supplied by the federal government.
Since containment of TB is considered a high priority it includes the cost of administering medicine at a patient's residence. Because of its social consequences, if left unattended, it is considered that Tuberculosis medicine, if administered at home, be consumed in presence of a health worker. This is the reason for periodic visits by the health worker.

If you need further information on this subject, please contact your local health authorities and I am sure they will be glad to educate you further on the subject.

P_L

Last edited by a moderator:
Pitambar_Lal said:
Alren Boss,

No, it is not a nightmare because the treatment of TB in the US is through a federally funded program. It means that all expenses borne by local authorities are reimbursed by the Center for Disease Control from funds supplied by the federal government.
Since containment of TB is considered a high priority it includes the cost of administering medicine at a patient's residence. Because of its social consequences, if left unattended, it is considered that Tuberculosis medicine, if administered at home, be consumed in presence of a health worker. This is the reason for periodic visits by the health worker.

If you need further information on this subject, please contact your local health authorities and I am sure they will be glad to educate you further on the subject.

P_L
P_L,

Thanks. No I do not need more info. It would make sense for F1, where you are not reqd. to get a medical test (?) ... but for CP, would a visa be issued or a visa pending the healing of the ailment will be issued ...

extra envelope

I had a similar experience with extra envelope with the words "to be opened by an immigration officer at the port of entry". It turned out to be extra papers and had no problems at the POE.

savrav

sav rav said:
I had a similar experience with extra envelope with the words "to be opened by an immigration officer at the port of entry". It turned out to be extra papers and had no problems at the POE.

savrav

But in this case the cover is marked for 'Health Official' , so it could be
different.

Raju

Alren,

Students on F1 visa are required to have a TB skin test done (at least that was the case a decade ago when i was a student) before they can enroll in a US university. This could be done either before or after entering the US. So, in the case of students it is not a barrier to entry. (By the way most people from India show up positive on the TB skin test). The visa officer does not even ask for proof, but in the case i pointed out, the applicant voluntarily showed the visa officer the result of the test.

In the case of immigrant visas, I don't know what procedures are followed.

P_L

Pitambar_Lal said:
Alren,

Students on F1 visa are required to have a TB skin test done (at least that was the case a decade ago when i was a student) before they can enroll in a US university. This could be done either before or after entering the US. So, in the case of students it is not a barrier to entry. (By the way most people from India show up positive on the TB skin test). The visa officer does not even ask for proof, but in the case i pointed out, the applicant voluntarily showed the visa officer the result of the test.

In the case of immigrant visas, I don't know what procedures are followed.

P_L
Huh! Beg to differ.

A decade ago, never heard of the TB test rule. Including yours truely, know many many cases personally (decade ago) which did'nt reqd. a TB test.

It must be your Univ. which reqd. it.

My univ. on paper reqd. MMR and y.t. got it, but know most of other fellows did not get MMR at my univ.

Last edited by a moderator:
TB Skin Test

Alren,

The test is necessary for all student doctors and interns in US universities, and I think that is still the case, as they are in close contact with their patients. This may not be applicable in your case.

P_L

Pitambar_Lal said:
Alren,

The test is necessary for all student doctors and interns in US universities, and I think that is still the case, as they are in close contact with their patients. This may not be applicable in your case.

P_L
There U go ...
must be for "student and intern - doctors", not for other fields.

Never heard about this over a vast sample of fields (not including medicine) and a vast sample of univs. over varying geographical areas in US.