• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Spouse issue, Am I disqualify and Is it Scam?

dv_evan

Hello Everyone,

I have two issues I need some advice on:

(1) Before we got married my spouse lived illegally on a visitor visa in the USA and attended school to complete a high school diploma. After a few years my spouse return back to our home country, met me and got marry, then tried again for another visitor visa but was rejected because of the illegal overstaying of the previous visa.
I on the other hand never had such problem, considering this what are my chances of suceeding with the green Card lottery program?

(2) I have filled out a an online form on the USAFIS Organization website. The next day I received a call from them asking me for information to process my application, they also demanded my credit card information and a payment of approx. $400 . Is this a scam or it is ligitimate?

I'll appreciate all advice on these two matters.

Thanks
Dave

Hello Everyone,

I have two issues I need some advice on:

(1) Before we got married my spouse lived illegally on a visitor visa in the USA and attended school to complete a high school diploma. After a few years my spouse return back to our home country, met me and got marry, then tried again for another visitor visa but was rejected because of the illegal overstaying of the previous visa.
I on the other hand never had such problem, considering this what are my chances of suceeding with the green Card lottery program?

(2) I have filled out a an online form on the USAFIS Organization website. The next day I received a call from them asking me for information to process my application, they also demanded my credit card information and a payment of approx. $400 . Is this a scam or it is ligitimate?

I'll appreciate all advice on these two matters.

Thanks
Dave

First of all, I want to know if you are a winner - because this will inform me about what to say about the issues you have raised. Despite lacking certain information, I'll still make the following comments:

What form did you filled on the USAFIS website? Is't the form to apply for the lottery? You can do it free at the U.S. Department of State website [here]

About your wife's issue, because she has been an overstayer in the U.S., they might have banned her for a certain number of years. The number of years depends on the years she spent as illegal immigrant. You need to find out about this and talk to an immigration lawyer. If she is banned and the ban is still in force, then I'm afraid it might affect your chances of obtaining the U.S. diversity visa.

Sorry to say this but I would be careful and check ore into her background...what if she committed a felony in this country? All the best and don't pay anything else than to USCIS! Don't give out your credit card info to any one.

Thanks Ameck09 and Bentlebee for your responses.

For Ameck09, no I am not a winner, its the application process I was referring to, the form I filled out on the USAFIS website was the application to enter into the lottery. I have not even completed the form and did not even completed the process, so I was surprise they called.

Ameck09/Bentlebee, She has no felony in the usa, she however attend and completed her high school diploma, unfornately her banned is still in effect until 2010. I will be posting some other questions later in another forum about her situation with that.

What is the difference/advantages having the application for the Green Card lottery process through the USAFIS Organization where you have to pay as against the U.S. Department of State which is free?

Thanks again I appreciates your assistance very much.
Dave

Thanks Bentlebee,

Great answer :p

Another question that maybe of interest to others too and this is based on assumptions:

If some was born in a country that qualified for the DV card visa, but that person has migrated and now living as a permanent resident in a country that does not qualified, for example Brazil or India or Canada. Can this person still apply for the US Green Card Lottery ?
I've also read about if parent are from a qualifying country you are allowed to apply, does this carries and bearing to the above question?

Dave

Thanks Bentlebee,

Great answer :p

Another question that maybe of interest to others too and this is based on assumptions:

If some was born in a country that qualified for the DV card visa, but that person has migrated and now living as a permanent resident in a country that does not qualified, for example Brazil or India or Canada. Can this person still apply for the US Green Card Lottery ?
I've also read about if parent are from a qualifying country you are allowed to apply, does this carries and bearing to the above question?

Dave

Where you were born is important in the dv application. Being a permanent resident in another country which qualify/does not qualify is not an issue. Read this:

Native of a country whose natives qualify: In most cases, this means the country in which you were born. However, there are two other ways you may be able to qualify. First, if you were born in a country whose natives are ineligible but your spouse was born in a country whose natives are eligible; you can claim your spouse’s country of birth, provided both you and your spouse are on the selected entry, are issued visas, and enter the U.S. simultaneously. Second, if you were born in a country whose natives are ineligible, but neither of your parents was born there or resided there at the time of your birth, you may claim nativity in one of your parents’ country of birth, if it is a country whose natives qualify for the DV-2010 program.

For more information, click here