Spousal Sponsorship

Eliezer Alter

I would like to please know if I would like to sponsor a spouse who is a Canadian citizen currently living in Canada what forms do I have to fill out? Also what is the current wait time for a Canadian citizen to become a US citizen or at least be allowed to leave the US?

Go through the following links for proper guidance:

USC sponsoring a spouse:
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/A1en.pdf

LPR sponsoring a spouse:
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/B1en.pdf

The amount of time it takes to become a USC has nothing to do with being a Canadian. It takes 3 years for a marriage based GC holder to qualify for US citizenship, assuming all other conditions are met. And the LPR can always travel out of the US if they need to, they are not prohibited from doing so.

What is the current wait time for a green card? I know someone else who immigrated from Canada to the US & was not allowed to leave for like eight months.

Could be anywhere between 8 - 12 months for the spouse of a USC. A bit longer for the spouse of a LPR.

Regarding your knowing someone who wasn’t allowed to leave for like eight months, you’ll need to shed more light on this - it is definitely not normal. When you say this person immigrated from Canada, what was the basis of their admission into the US? Where they already sponsored and came in on an immigrant visa or the person simply came into the US as a Canadian citizen and initiated the process from within the US?

Again no one is restricted or prevented from leaving the US. They can leave at anytime they choose.

By the way, are you a USC or LPR?

The amount of time it takes to become a USC has nothing to do with being a Canadian. It takes 3 years for a marriage based GC holder to qualify for US citizenship, assuming all other conditions are met. And the LPR can always travel out of the US if they need to, they are not prohibited from doing so.

Assuming that the sponsor is a USC, not an LPR, of course!

What is the current wait time for a green card? I know someone else who immigrated from Canada to the US & was not allowed to leave for like eight months.

Sounds like someone who “immigrated” as a tourist then filed for adjustment of status but didn’t file for advanced parole? They would have been “allowed” to leave but would have been deemed to have abandoned the application if exit the US without AP.