sponsorship for parents

onion500

Registered Users (C)
I am a u.s. citizen. I would like my parents to come here for my brothers wedding in the US. Is it possible for me to just sponsor them for a tourist visa or a 10 yr visa or whatever else name they call it(i dont know) in order to attend the wedding? Will they have an interview? What documents or paper work do i need to submit?

I don't mind sponsoring a green card but that will take awhile, i believe almost a year.

What do you suggest?

Thanks.

Check the US consulate website for info on how to get tourist visa for you parents. They will have to appear at the nearest consulate for an interview on the given appointment date.

Firstly, you are posting in the wrong forum.
Secondly, what citizenship do your folks hold? If they need a B-2 visa, they need to apply for it at their local US consulate and convince the interviwing consul that they will return after attending their son's visit. Having a US citizen son works against them I am afraid.

onion500 said:
I am a u.s. citizen. I would like my parents to come here for my brothers wedding in the US. Is it possible for me to just sponsor them for a tourist visa or a 10 yr visa or whatever else name they call it(i dont know) in order to attend the wedding? Will they have an interview? What documents or paper work do i need to submit?

I don't mind sponsoring a green card but that will take awhile, i believe almost a year.

What do you suggest?

Thanks.

onion500 said:

What do you suggest?

Thanks.

If your parents are from one of these 27 countries, they WILL NOT need to apply for a visitor's visa to come to the US for the wedding.

You don't need to sponser them in order for them to visit.

If they are not from one of these listed countries, just have them go to the US embassy in their country and apply for a B1-B2 visitor visa. The US embassy will stamp your parents passport and they are good to go. Just make sure that their passports have at least 6 months or more validity before expiring.

==================================
Currently, 27 countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program, as shown below:

Visa Waiver Program - Participating Countries.

Andorra, Iceland, Norway, Australia, Ireland, Portugal, Austria, Italy, San Marino, Belgium, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Denmark, Luxembourg, Spain, Finland, Monaco, Sweden, France, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, New Zealand, United Kingdom
===================================

Last edited by a moderator: