Sponsoring Parents

rohu

Hi, We are planning to invite my parents to visit us in the summer of 2007. My husbands work visa has gone for renewal and we have the letter from company lawyer stating that the application for the renewal of the work visa has been filed and also have a copy of the application form sent for the renewal of the work visa. We have already sent all the other required docs (financial & all) to the parents. My major concern is:

- Will this letter from the lawyers be sufficient for granting the Tourist Visa to the parents or the consulate needs to see the renewed visa.

Input would be appreciated.

2nd Scenario:

My parents have sufficient funds of their own to travel to the US on their own and can show the supporting financial docs.

-Do we still have to send our financial docs & sponsor them?
- Does our present visa status matter in that case?
- How easy/ difficult is it to get a tourist visa for the parents by declaring their own funds?

This whole visa situation has completely bowled us over. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Thanks for the input Saif. My husabnd is a Canadain citizen and he is on TN vsia & I am on TD. His TN has been sent out for renewal . Yes we could have gone to the border and had the TN renewed at the US-Canada border but right now his passport is stuck in Canada as it was sent for renewal as well. The passport rewal time that initally was 4 weeks has jumped up to 9-10 weeks and hence the application for TN renewal had to be mailed out.

In response to your suggestion that they do not need the I-134 from us then what other docs are required from our side ?

In our original inviiation letter we have written that we will take them around for visiting some tourist places in the US but if they show their own funds to visit us then do they need to show an itineraray plus any hotel reservations for visiting the tourist places in the US.

thanks

I'll be honest. I am not a big fan of "sponsoring" B-2 visas. Simply because I believe that B-1/2 visas are self qualifying. One either qualifies or they don't. Most failed B-1/2 applicants are victim of the "immigrant intent" issue. Very few are denied visas because of lack of funds, the way I look at it. If a B-1/2 applicant cannot qualify on his own income/assets and needs an I-134, then it means that he or she is financially dependent on the "sponsor" for funds, thus proving that he/she is a potential "immigrant" since the sponsor is US based. Thus this applicant will most probably be rejected because of "immigrant intent".
At least that is how I see things.

Sister applying for visa and I'm applying for her GC

Anyone can answer this will be helpfull, i would like to apply for my siser GC since i'm a US citizen which i know will take 8-10 yrs before she gets approved, she wants to visit the US next year would me applying for her GC will hinder her in getting her visa? as it will show intent of moving to the US, or should i wait till she gets her visa and then apply for the GC?
Ash

Firstly, it will most likely take 12-15 years, not 8 to 10. Secondly, depending on her citizenship, she will most likely never be able to obtain a visit visa once her I-130 is in the system.

Anyone can answer this will be helpfull, i would like to apply for my siser GC since i'm a US citizen which i know will take 8-10 yrs before she gets approved, she wants to visit the US next year would me applying for her GC will hinder her in getting her visa?