sponsoring my mother

lake65

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I want to sponsor my mother, what forms I need to fill? and what documents I need from my mother?

She is in my home country and I want to apply from here in US. I don't work, stay home with my kids but my husband works. can I still sponsor her? does my husband need to be co-sponsor?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Lake65

IF you are a U.S. Citizen age 21 or older, you file form I-130 with USCIS. Eventually YOU must file form I-864 and your spouse (if a USC or LPR) can file as a joint sponsor or co-sponsor (work that out after reading the form instructions). Basically you just need your birth certificate and any documents that show any name changes (like marriage certificates) and your proof of citizenship (natz cert, U.S. birth cert, or passport).

AFTER the I-130 is approved. When USCIS approves the I-130, they send it to NVC. NVC will ask for the I-864 and various other fees and information. NVC will send instructions. NVC will send the file overseas and the consulate will contact your mom or whoever has been designated as her agent (possibly you or a sibling?).

The processing time depends on the workloads at USCIS, NVC and the consulate. Best guess, it may take 6 months to a little over a year.