Sponsoring GC Parent - AOS or CP

needhelp150

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I just became a US citizen. My mom is here in US on visitor visa. Her I-94 is valid till August 08 and she is here in US for last 2 and half months.

As I got my citizenship, I want to sponsor her GC. I am not sure which way I should go, AOS or CP. I really want to go for AOS option, but I read somewhere that they may say that my mom gave false information (that she will be in US for 6 months) at the 'port of entry' when she arrived couple of months back. But in her case the information was 'correct' because that time I was not a US citizen and didn't even received the citizenship interview letter. So there was no intetion of staying here longer.

So please let me know your thoughts on which way I should proceed. Really appreciate this forums help.

Thanks,

needhelp150

Well go for the AOS route then.

As I got my citizenship, I want to sponsor her GC. I am not sure which way I should go, AOS or CP. I really want to go for AOS option, but I read somewhere that they may say that my mom gave false information (that she will be in US for 6 months) at the 'port of entry' when she arrived couple of months back. But in her case the information was 'correct' because that time I was not a US citizen and didn't even received the citizenship interview letter. So there was no intetion of staying here longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Intentions can change. They might ask a few questions but as long you can honestly say you guys changed your minds after she entered you should be fine.

GC sponsorship for parent - AOS or CP

Thank you for your prompt replies. So looks like there is no risk in going AOS route for my case.

Experts: Any other thoughts??

Thanks again,

needhelp150

hi, i need to do the same, my parents are on US visit and i just became a US citizen.

from what i read, all i need is to file I-130 and and I-485 simultaneously.

can you tell me how long it took your parents to get GC? and what happens once their visit visa expires (my parents have 10 year multiple visa).

thanks!

Hello,

I just became a US citizen. My mom is here in US on visitor visa. Her I-94 is valid till August 08 and she is here in US for last 2 and half months.

So please let me know your thoughts on which way I should proceed. Really appreciate this forums help.

Thanks,

needhelp150

joshrain,

Reviving an ld thread like this seldom helps. The OP may not be visiting the forums for all you know. To answer your question though, the GC takes anywhere between 5 to 10 months depending on where you live. Also, as long as you apply and get the notification of receipt back from USCIS, the date on the I-94 does not matter. Its valid for them to stay beyond the i-94 expiration date if the AOS is pending.

Vinayak

Hello Guys-

I got my US citizenship recently and am thinking of sponsoring my parents. They are in the US, for the past few months and will go back home shortly. I am thinking of doing an AOS and had some questions:

1. How long does the AOS process take in India? Do I only need to send the I-130 now to USCIS and send the affidavit later when they are called for Interview at Mumbai?

2. My main concern with them immigrating here is medical insurance- my Father is older than 65 yrs had a heart attack 12yrs ago, and my mother is approaching her 60 yr mark. What are the insurance options for them as immigrants? Would I be able to cover them as dependents ? Would my Father be eligible for Medicare? I dont want to leech a system, just want quality care that is affordable, and I am willing to pay.

Please let me know of your advice,

Thanks!!

A1: AOS takes place in the US, not outside.
A2: Private insurance is probably your best bet

1. How long does the AOS process take in India? Do I only need to send the I-130 now to USCIS and send the affidavit later when they are called for Interview at Mumbai?

2. My main concern with them immigrating here is medical insurance- my Father is older than 65 yrs had a heart attack 12yrs ago, and my mother is approaching her 60 yr mark. What are the insurance options for them as immigrants? Would I be able to cover them as dependents ? Would my Father be eligible for Medicare? I dont want to leech a system, just want quality care that is affordable, and I am willing to pay.

Consular processing is what would be done in India. AOS is if they will stay in the US during the process.

2. My main concern with them immigrating here is medical insurance- my Father is older than 65 yrs had a heart attack 12yrs ago, and my mother is approaching her 60 yr mark. What are the insurance options for them as immigrants?
Not very good. Often the best option for immigrants is to go back to their original country for treatment.

10 years of Social Security credits are required for them to qualify for Medicare. That means one or both parents would have to work in the US for 10 years.

Your mother can probably get an individual policy with a health insurance company if she has no major health problems in her past or present, but due to her age it is likely to be very expensive unless it is has a very high deductible.

Your father will probably be unable to get an individual health insurance policy due to his heart attack. Chances are his only option for insurance is to get a job with health benefits.

It is unlikely that your parents can be covered as dependents under your employer's coverage or your personal policy, but that's something specific you have to find out from your employer and/or insurer.

Thanks Triple Citizen and Jackolantern! I meant to say CP and not AOS, sorry about that.

It is not good news for the insurance then, hmmm, it could be a deal breaker. I wonder how the folks that are sponsoring their parents here are getting the insurance taken care of.....

Thanks again!

Some pay out of their own pocket when no other options exist.

It is not good news for the insurance then, hmmm, it could be a deal breaker. I wonder how the folks that are sponsoring their parents here are getting the insurance taken care of.....

I would only add that even if your dad were able to get a job with full benefits (health insurance coverage) at his age and health, lack of continuous domestic insurance coverage would mean that preexisting heart conditions would likely not be covered for a minimum of 3-6 months under most employer plans. Private plans would probably not cover it at all.

There are always exceptions, but that's the general state of health insurance in the USA.

This might be a long shot, but your best bet to get coverage that is anywhere near affordable might be for your MOTHER to get a job with benefits and spousal insurance coverage and stick it out for the "pre-existing condition" period. After that point she could quit her job and get COBRA continuation coverage. She'd have to pay full premiums, but at least you would have full coverage and maybe even some chance to port continuous coverage over to another private or state-sponsored plan. If healthcare access and affordability is your driving concern however it is possible that they are better off at their home country, even if that means sending remittances back to pay for it.