Spoke to Senator of Philadelphia area

neha_wal

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I spoke to the senator of Philadelphia 'Rick Santorum' today. He told me clearly that Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005 (S. 1033), also known as mccain-kennedy bill is going to be beaten down and has no chance of passing thru. He asked me to talk about the cause of H1B, retrogression etc. separately . He said he's aware about the issue, but did not know if anybody is doing anything about it. Basically bottom line is he clearly mentioned if you want something to get done you need to show your support and urgency and you support base should be clearly identifiable. So that they do not confuse that we are fighting for undocumented aliens.

Thanks

Right on money..

Why are we supporting those useless bills for us? We should concentrate on alleviating visa retrogression when we call Senators' office.

Senthil

I agree

I agree that we should focus on visa retrogression and the slow pace of processing by the USCIS. We should make them aware that these go against legal immigration

Glad to see that what I told was the right thing after all :)

MDGUTS1307 said:
I agree that we should focus on visa retrogression and the slow pace of processing by the USCIS. We should make them aware that these go against legal immigration

keep making the calls

MDGUTS1307 can you post the link again? Seems like a broken link when you click.

My experience, I have called and send emails to seven Senators and Congressmen. I did not highlight any particular Bill, but focussed more on the issues faced by us by retrogression etc. I wasn't able to talk to any Senator but the office staff of Senator Cornyn and Huthinson from Texas said they were aware of the issues of backlog. I did not get any confirmation as to what they plan on doing.
As for emails, I got a reply from Chuck Shumer of NY that he is also aware of the issue and is going to take a look at it in the coming Senate session.

I think if people send enough letters/emails and start calling it will definately create visibility. Lets keep doing the right thing folks.

Link

Hi deba_sinh,

Here is the link again:

http://pubweb.fdbl.com/news1.nsf/9a...ed1d2a76a6f627d852570930074ed00?OpenDocument\

If this does not work then try
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=192318

Thanks for your efforts to inform the senators and congressmen/women.
I feel as long as they are aware, some relief will happen.

This is affecting all walks of life: IT folks, professors, physicians, engineers, etc. The politicians will hopefully understand and help out.

deba_sinh, could you please email me a template of what you sent to the senators. I will send the same thing to them if it looks okay.

letter to senators

I basically took the template of the 'letter to Seanators' from the isnamerica.org website but removed all reference to the House Bills and added my personal situation and requested that the AC21 requirements are unreasonable and it would go a long way in mitigating the problems of legal immigrants if those retrictions are lifted.

No we shouldn't, it has a major flaw that it does not take care of those people who have approved I140 but cannot file 485. Remember, EB3 has been retrogressed for many months and there must be hundreds if not thousands in the similar situation.

MDGUTS1307 said:
We should concentrate on this bill ( retrogession issues being attached to the budget bill) and hopefully it will get passed.
May be Sen Santorum should be made aware about this. Link is as below
http://pubweb.fdbl.com/news1.nsf/9a...00?OpenDocument

We can recommend changes that benefit us all

Chicago desi,

I understand what you are saying. We should bring the problems with current state of the bill and suggest solutions to the politicians. I am suggesting we take this opportunity to make the politicians aware of our problems and suggest solutions, and changes in the bills as we deem fit.

MDGUTS

Chicago desi, I understand what you are saying. Basically we all want more visa numbers. However, these three things are gonna go a long ways in addressing the issues athat we are facing.
1. Allow AP/EAD with I-140
2. Remove AC21 restritions from EAD
3. Stop counting family members of primary applicant against employment visa numbers

You should support any immigration reform bill

Here is my two cents. You guys should support any pending immigration reform bill. If someone is so narrow minded and care only for their own status, I am sure that no one will benefit anything. All family based case backlogs are good example. You want to see something happening to EB retro, you better pray one of these bills pass. I am saying it not because I will benefit from either bill.

U really a genius

familybased said:
Here is my two cents. You guys should support any pending immigration reform bill. If someone is so narrow minded and care only for their own status, I am sure that no one will benefit anything. All family based case backlogs are good example. You want to see something happening to EB retro, you better pray one of these bills pass. I am saying it not because I will benefit from either bill.

Apart from your proposed family based bill, why not lobby for another 245(i)? U'd pray for all the feeble grannies of the GCers, the 245(i) pests, Asian human snakes and Mexicans flood into the US to accelerate the social security bankruptcy. Why do u GENIUS pray for all these to happen? Amen!

No one said anything about NOT supporting a bill that will help family-based categories. We are just saying that we would rather focus on lobbying for the cause of eliminating retrogression. And people affected by family-based visas can lobby for their cause. WOuld someone who is caught because of family-based quotas go out of their way trying to fight for one affected by retros? No. But he would at the same time not OPPOSE one who is lobbying for retro. Right? Thats what we are trying to say. I think...

Santosh

How about adding one more point: "Allow AP/EAD to approved I140"?

deba_sinh said:
Chicago desi, I understand what you are saying. Basically we all want more visa numbers. However, these three things are gonna go a long ways in addressing the issues athat we are facing.
1. Allow AP/EAD with I-140
2. Remove AC21 restritions from EAD
3. Stop counting family members of primary applicant against employment visa numbers

I think these are the important requests. The US reps may not approve all we ask of course, but the thuth is the key points:

1. Eliminate restriction of AC21 portability rule. That's the key to eliminate the exploitation for good and get rid of the career stagnation. What a dream. If USCIS believes we should honor the job position must match the type of job, so establish that people with PD > 2-3 years can change to ANY JOB, UNRESTRICTED. That means we gave them enough time to process the application and if they are not ready, let us move on.

2. Let people apply for EAD+AP during I-140 application.

3. Let's face it, unlikely visa numbers will eliminate the cut-off dates. We can ask congress to approve more visas of course. The lawyers already said this idea of country quotas are in place for decades now. Unlikely this will be changed. Item 1 and 2 above are the real solution to all of us.

4. Personally I oppose any rule for illegal aliens who broke the law. I have a serious reason against this. A BIG BUY, DIRECTOR FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR TOLD ME IN PERSON THAT I AM HERE, WAITING FOR THIS GREENCARD THING THANKS TO THE AMNESTY TO THE ILLEGAL FOLKS, LAW 245i. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO A NASTY QUEUE JUST BECAUSE OF MILLIONS OF ILLEGALS. BELIEVE ME, IF THEY EVER APPROVE AMNESTY OFFERED BY THIS S.1033 LAW, MILLIONS OF ALIENS WOULD APPLY FOR RESIDENCY. IT WOULD KEEP USCIS BUSY FOR A VERY, VERY LONG-TIME.

THAT IS IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicago Desi said:
How about adding one more point: "Allow AP/EAD to approved I140"?

I understand that there are many angry folks because of EB-retro. Here is the reason that everyone should support two pending immigration reform bills

1. If you speculate EAD/AP for I-140 approved applicants, I am sure it will not happen. There are tons of approved I-130 cases; no one gets EAD/AP until I-485 is filed when cut-off date becomes current, including GC spouses and married/umarried son or daughter of USC.

2. If you think that Congress has sympathy for EB-retro and will remedy the problem, you are probably wrong again. Visa cap has been enforced for years to create racial balance and culture diversity.

3. If you think family based immigrants never fight for their cause, you are wrong again. GC holders have been lobbying congress many times without success. Why do you think EB along will prevail this time? Labor demand and supply is not as great as it was in 90s.

4. I do not support illegal aliens, but they represent 12 millions that is more than total legal EB and FB immigrants. With new bill, Congress tries to stop future illegal immigrants; in the same time, EB/FB immigrants will benefit what they need.

5. The U.S. need certain numbers of high and low skill workers. many illegal immigrants fit in low skill category. Like it or not, 12 million illegal aliens are part of this society. You must admit that Hispanic voters have more powers than EB immigrants do. main stream american middle class see H-1Bs as a direct threat to their jobs and wage cutter. I am in the IT filed. I heard people who frustrated with outsourcing jobs when the company laid off people. Even though you are invited to provide services in this country, it does not mean you win the hearts of main stream American people. I am pro immigration because that is how I got here after graduating from college.

I know this is a sensitive and controversial topic and wish you all eventually receive your GCs. Since my family member’s cut-off date is going to be current in one month, I do not think my relative can gain any benefit from these two bills. Besides he is not in the U.S.. I just want to share my thought to help others because I understand immigration ordeal. Maybe I am not in your shoes, so I do not expect everyone agree with my opinion. If all EB beneficiaries think that they can win a passage by their own, let us wait and see. Personally, I do not think you have enough political capital to win. You do not have vote right, your employers do not care whether you have GC as long as you are eligible to extend your H-1 annually, many young graduates from overseas and U.S. colleges eagerly want to replace your positions if you decide to leave the country. If I were you, I would definitely try to lobby congress to allow H-1b to switch to H5A under Mccain/Kennedy bill. in that case your spouse could work and you are free to switch job and earn your residency by counting your h-1 work experience if it is possible.
My last post about this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay guys we've allready talked

okay guys we've allready talked enough, but what's the plan now. My take is we should get together and try meeting some big guys. I don't know how difficult is to meet the lawmakers here ? Does somebosy have any experience ? I guess when you can talk to senators on phone then probably it may not be as difficult as we are thinking. We have that Indian mindset 'Politicians are unapproachable' and it's useless anyway if you meet them.