Spoke to Senator of Philadelphia area

neha_wal said:
Guys,

I spoke to the senator of Philadelphia 'Rick Santorum' today. He told me clearly that Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005 (S. 1033), also known as mccain-kennedy bill is going to be beaten down and has no chance of passing thru. He asked me to talk about the cause of H1B, retrogression etc. separately . He said he's aware about the issue, but did not know if anybody is doing anything about it. Basically bottom line is he clearly mentioned if you want something to get done you need to show your support and urgency and you support base should be clearly identifiable. So that they do not confuse that we are fighting for undocumented aliens.

Thanks
I just talked with senator isakson (GA - R) and was bluntly told that the current priority is to address illegal immigration reforms and homeland security, and that they would be happy to get any "suggestions" from me for bills/legislations on legal immigrants next year and would consider it. But right now - "we are very much focussed on securing our borders by fixing illegal immigration issue - Thank you Very much".

For those impacted by retrogression

Guys,

There is a lobbying group that's writing letters to senators etc. trying to bring their attention to the EB2/EB3 retrogression.

I've enclosed their link which talks about what each of us can do in that regard. Please do your bit ASAP. Time is of the essence here. This may be our last realistic chance.

Go to the following link:
http://www.isnamerica.org/lobbying/hubplan.asp

Here, you will see the faq and description in the folder to explain what to do.
It is very simple as you just have to populate your name on the template.

Basically it is for everyone to print and sign the letters and mail them to the hub volunteer. The hub volunteer will collect and mail the letters out to the senators on Oct 23. So please forward to as many people as you know and sent out the letters as soon as possible to avoid postal delay.

Each person will send out 4 letters:
* 2 letters to the senators of your state: 2 copies of
1A_Letter_GC_Filed.doc or
1B_Letter_GC_Not_Yet_Filed.doc
* 1 letter to AILA: 2_Letter_AILA.doc
* 1 generic letter: 3_Letter_Industrial_Leaders.doc

The HUB_DETAILS.xls has the postal address of your hub volunteer and also the names of the senators of each state.

The plan is simple. Write, write, write and call, call, call your US reps. Explain the EB visa issue and suggest fixes outlined above (Increase in Visa numbers, removal of AC21 portability rule restrictions.)

neha_wal said:
okay guys we've allready talked enough, but what's the plan now. My take is we should get together and try meeting some big guys. I don't know how difficult is to meet the lawmakers here ? Does somebosy have any experience ? I guess when you can talk to senators on phone then probably it may not be as difficult as we are thinking. We have that Indian mindset 'Politicians are unapproachable' and it's useless anyway if you meet them.

Why are you guys wasting time on useless endeavours?

Concentrate more on upgrading skills, that you will need in near future. Why are you wasting time in fruitless lobbying efforts?.
No politician cares about retrogession. Why? Simple, you are few thousands. Making life easier for you serves no political purpose. Also tougher the life and longer the GC wait, happier are big coporations. When will you guys understand that politicians in US will never do anything that will make corporations and employers unhappy.
Just concentrate on your work and work hard on upgrading skills.

I dont disagree but leaving behind people with approved I140 does NOT sound fair.

marlon2006 said:
I think these are the important requests. The US reps may not approve all we ask of course, but the thuth is the key points:

1. Eliminate restriction of AC21 portability rule. That's the key to eliminate the exploitation for good and get rid of the career stagnation. What a dream. If USCIS believes we should honor the job position must match the type of job, so establish that people with PD > 2-3 years can change to ANY JOB, UNRESTRICTED. That means we gave them enough time to process the application and if they are not ready, let us move on.

2. Let people apply for EAD+AP during I-140 application.

3. Let's face it, unlikely visa numbers will eliminate the cut-off dates. We can ask congress to approve more visas of course. The lawyers already said this idea of country quotas are in place for decades now. Unlikely this will be changed. Item 1 and 2 above are the real solution to all of us.

4. Personally I oppose any rule for illegal aliens who broke the law. I have a serious reason against this. A BIG BUY, DIRECTOR FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR TOLD ME IN PERSON THAT I AM HERE, WAITING FOR THIS GREENCARD THING THANKS TO THE AMNESTY TO THE ILLEGAL FOLKS, LAW 245i. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO A NASTY QUEUE JUST BECAUSE OF MILLIONS OF ILLEGALS. BELIEVE ME, IF THEY EVER APPROVE AMNESTY OFFERED BY THIS S.1033 LAW, MILLIONS OF ALIENS WOULD APPLY FOR RESIDENCY. IT WOULD KEEP USCIS BUSY FOR A VERY, VERY LONG-TIME.

THAT IS IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alhindi dost tu ekdum wafaadaar hai yaar, dekha abhe 10 minute pehle maine bola thaa, kuch aur bol yaar teri same kahaniya sun sun ke pak gaye, dekh kya naya Logic diya hai "upgrade skills' wah kya baat hai!!! Maan gaye yaar Alhindi, tera jawaab nahee, tumharee baate sun sun ke mujhe 'Bhahadur Shah Zafar' kee Shayaree yaad aa gayee.
Barbaad Gulistaan karne ko ek hee ullu kaafee hai, Har Shaakh pe ullu baithaa hai(kuttaliili Alhindi pmk...etc.etc.) anjaam-eh gulistaan kya hogaa ???
Abe wah wah tou kar!!!!!

I don't understand why you want to leaving behind people with approved I140. THose people are not one inch luckier than the ones without approved I140. They are in the exact boat. If a movement is put forward, it shall represent the most suffering people, instead your own or my own condition.

Sorry. I don't understand exactly what you mean by 'approved I-140' ? In this case, if you folks are allowed to file the EAD+AP while I-140 isn't that the portion which would take care of this problem ? That's what I thought and in my communications with US reps, that's what I can request.

nonogc said:
I don't understand why you want to leaving behind people with approved I140. THose people are not one inch luckier than the ones without approved I140. They are in the exact boat. If a movement is put forward, it shall represent the most suffering people, instead your own or my own condition.

With an amnesty bill, the US people and Congress will just be inviting future illegals to come here and wait for the future amnesty. That won't solve any illegal immigration problem. That's how it has been since 1986. The difference now is that the American people are getting fed up with all that.

"With new bill, Congress tries to stop future illegal immigrants; in the same time, EB/FB immigrants will benefit what they need. "

familybased said:
I understand that there are many angry folks because of EB-retro. Here is the reason that everyone should support two pending immigration reform bills

1. If you speculate EAD/AP for I-140 approved applicants, I am sure it will not happen. There are tons of approved I-130 cases; no one gets EAD/AP until I-485 is filed when cut-off date becomes current, including GC spouses and married/umarried son or daughter of USC.

2. If you think that Congress has sympathy for EB-retro and will remedy the problem, you are probably wrong again. Visa cap has been enforced for years to create racial balance and culture diversity.

3. If you think family based immigrants never fight for their cause, you are wrong again. GC holders have been lobbying congress many times without success. Why do you think EB along will prevail this time? Labor demand and supply is not as great as it was in 90s.

4. I do not support illegal aliens, but they represent 12 millions that is more than total legal EB and FB immigrants. With new bill, Congress tries to stop future illegal immigrants; in the same time, EB/FB immigrants will benefit what they need.

5. The U.S. need certain numbers of high and low skill workers. many illegal immigrants fit in low skill category. Like it or not, 12 million illegal aliens are part of this society. You must admit that Hispanic voters have more powers than EB immigrants do. main stream american middle class see H-1Bs as a direct threat to their jobs and wage cutter. I am in the IT filed. I heard people who frustrated with outsourcing jobs when the company laid off people. Even though you are invited to provide services in this country, it does not mean you win the hearts of main stream American people. I am pro immigration because that is how I got here after graduating from college.

I know this is a sensitive and controversial topic and wish you all eventually receive your GCs. Since my family member’s cut-off date is going to be current in one month, I do not think my relative can gain any benefit from these two bills. Besides he is not in the U.S.. I just want to share my thought to help others because I understand immigration ordeal. Maybe I am not in your shoes, so I do not expect everyone agree with my opinion. If all EB beneficiaries think that they can win a passage by their own, let us wait and see. Personally, I do not think you have enough political capital to win. You do not have vote right, your employers do not care whether you have GC as long as you are eligible to extend your H-1 annually, many young graduates from overseas and U.S. colleges eagerly want to replace your positions if you decide to leave the country. If I were you, I would definitely try to lobby congress to allow H-1b to switch to H5A under Mccain/Kennedy bill. in that case your spouse could work and you are free to switch job and earn your residency by counting your h-1 work experience if it is possible.
My last post about this topic.

I might misundstand you. But the way I read is: if you I140 is approved but due to the RG, you can't not find 485. You can not file for AP and ead. Only the people with pending I140 can do this. :)

You are right. And thats what makes this bill very unfair. Remeber, EB3 has been retrogressed for many months now and USCIS has been churning out I140 very quickly, hence a lot of people in this situation.

nonogc said:
I might misundstand you. But the way I read is: if you I140 is approved but due to the RG, you can't not find 485. You can not file for AP and ead. Only the people with pending I140 can do this. :)

Last edited by a moderator: