Speical Registration Stamping at the POE

factfinder

Registered Users (C)
Hi
I got my GC in August last year and will be leaving on a 3-4 weeks vacation end of March. I belong to one of the countires that fall under Special Registration rules so was geting the stamping at the POE. This will be my first time travelling on a GC.
Should I go ahead and get the registration done at the INS office at the airport even though I have GC?

Actually confusion happened when my friend said he did get the stamp (similar situation) and my lawyer is saying no need. Please share your experience.

Thanks in Advance.
.Fz

I had to go through special registration before getting my GC. Since then I have left the country and come back twice. I did not register before I left as you are not required to do so. I had even called one of the customs offices (the one at JFK) to ask and they said I didn't have to do it. However, when I came back both times, the officer looked confused. The first time, I was sent to secondary inspection. The second time, the officer was really nice and said that the system was telling him that I was under NSEERs but he had his boss put a note in the system saying "NSEERS exempt due to LPR", so hopefully there won't be confusion when I leave again (on that note, I've never actually had a bad immigration/customs experience at an airport despite being NSEERs in the past)

So keep in mind that once branded as NSEERs, you will always have that mark on your record no matter how many times you enter and leave the country and you may be sent to secondary inspection. But the law is very clear - U.S. permanent residents are exempt from the NSEERs program. You can go to www.ice.gov to get written confirmation of this.

If you want to be totally safe, go to the NSEERs office at your port before departing and ask them what to do. They may or may not register you again. If they don't, it's no big deal, you'll be fine.

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate the replies.
Feel much better now.....:)

I also called the INS Special Registration office at LAX (my POE) and they said if you have GC, don't have to register. Here is the number for the office if anybody wants it. (310) 568 7505

.Fz