Special Messgae For Kelvin

DEAR KELVIN,

MY COUSIN RECEIVED AN ASYLUM GRANT LAST WEEK AND SHE WENT TO A BANK OF AMERICA BRANCH IN RIVERSIDE, CA TO OBTAIN CREDIT. THE BANK STAFF DID SAY THAT ONLY PEOPLE WITH GREEN CARDS CAN GET CREDIT CARDS FROM THEM. MY COUSIN PRESSED THE MATTER FURTHER (I WAS WITH HER). THE MANAGER TALKED TO SOMEONE ON THE PHONE. AFTER A LONG CONVERSATION, HE SAID THAT THEY CONSIDER THE ASYLUM DOCUMENTATION "GOOD AS GREEN CARD" AND PROCESSED OUR PAPERWORK.

I HOPE YOU CAN USE THIS INFO TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.

Originally posted by canterbury
DEAR KELVIN,

MY COUSIN RECEIVED AN ASYLUM GRANT LAST WEEK AND SHE WENT TO A BANK OF AMERICA BRANCH IN RIVERSIDE, CA TO OBTAIN CREDIT. THE BANK STAFF DID SAY THAT ONLY PEOPLE WITH GREEN CARDS CAN GET CREDIT CARDS FROM THEM. MY COUSIN PRESSED THE MATTER FURTHER (I WAS WITH HER). THE MANAGER TALKED TO SOMEONE ON THE PHONE. AFTER A LONG CONVERSATION, HE SAID THAT THEY CONSIDER THE ASYLUM DOCUMENTATION "GOOD AS GREEN CARD" AND PROCESSED OUR PAPERWORK.

I HOPE YOU CAN USE THIS INFO TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.

wow really???that's EXTREMELY KOOL!!!!
wwo..would u pls tell me what u guys told that Manager?it seems it's better for me to apply for my first credit card in riverside, also, would u pls tell me that BOA's exactly location??Thx!!!

canterbury

Canterbury,

I essentially said the same thing a while back, but no one took much notice. glad that someone finally backed up what I said. Thanks.

Re: canterbury

Originally posted by Gilbert
Canterbury,

I essentially said the same thing a while back, but no one took much notice. glad that someone finally backed up what I said. Thanks.

so ...do u think that will work if i argue with bank stuff?
anyway, try it first...maybe this weekend..

Re: Re: canterbury

Originally posted by kelvin2088

so ...do u think that will work if i argue with bank stuff?
anyway, try it first...maybe this weekend..

Kelvin,

The documents we asylees have are so uncommon that it is necessary argue from time to time--from college admissions to getting license to interviewing for jobs, you name it.

99% of the public have no idea what asylees are, let alone the rights/benefits conferred on us.

Good luck.

Not only that the public does not know anything about asylee, people who work at banks are extra careful these days because of recent terrorist threats. The terrorists used to open bank account where they funneled money to fund their actions. Can prejudice be involved? I do not doubt it but America has changed since 9/11. These idiots who carried on the terrorist attack had made it hard for every one who is not born in America to live here. May Life get better for us

Originally posted by shamshon
Not only that the public does not know anything about asylee, people who work at banks are extra careful these days because of recent terrorist threats. The terrorists used to open bank account where they funneled money to fund their actions. Can prejudice be involved? I do not doubt it but America has changed since 9/11. These idiots who carried on the terrorist attack had made it hard for every one who is not born in America to live here. May Life get better for us

Even folks born here see their lives changed in the past year. As a future citizen, I was deeply pained by America's loss and I was offended that evil people exploited the immigration system for their satanic ends

Do you have to tell the bank that you're an asylee? Can't you must give them your social security number?

They generally do not check actual INS documents and rely on an honors system. The exceptions are mortgages. But people here have been telling different encounters, so I do not know.

Originally posted by TimZ
Do you have to tell the bank that you're an asylee? Can't you must give them your social security number?

i just came back from BOA
i applied for Student Credit Card by filling out the application form
and i checked Permanent Resident on that form since that clerk didnt ask me to show my GC
but...it's just an application form, i've no idea whether i can get final approval after 4weeks

actually i'm not that confident about my application
...anyway, i'd rather try Secured Visa first

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the credit card application form I've seen ask one's immigration status. That's because it's illegal to discriminate against someone on the basis of one's country of origin for employment or credit purpose. When I applied for a mortgage, nobody asked me about my immigration status either. Read those credit card, car loan and mortagage application forms, they all have anti-discrimination statement printed on them.

If you're on a job interview, they can't ask your immigration status. If they do then they face the potential of being sued. What they can ask is if it's legal for you to work. And they can only ask you to show documents for employment eligibility verification after they give you an offer. The can't find out the difference between a citizen and an asylee if you just show them your driver's license and your unrestricted social security card. It's illegal for them to ask you if you're a citizen or not.

Credit card should be the same.

If you go to a four year school full time, you can get a student credit card easily. You may want to try capitalone bank.

when they issue you the card, please understand that it may be for only a small credit line. It will gradually go up.

Originally posted by kelvin2088
i just came back from BOA
i applied for Student Credit Card by filling out the application form
and i checked Permanent Resident on that form since that clerk didnt ask me to show my GC
but...it's just an application form, i've no idea whether i can get final approval after 4weeks

actually i'm not that confident about my application
...anyway, i'd rather try Secured Visa first

Gilbert,

You're right that banks can discriminate against immigration status.

Please don't disagree with EACH point I made. :)

Commercial banks are just businesses. They do what's good to their business. I doubt it's a law or government policy which mandates them to discriminate against foreign nationals. If you have enough money you can open up a bank with policy discriminating against US citizens. It's perfectly legal to do that although it doesn't make much business sense. This is a more business issue than immigration issue. Banks obviously discriminate against people with bad credit history. If you get a high FICO score you'll be far better off than an average US citizen. BTW, Canada shares many credit and personal money history with US so it's so easy for Canadians when they come to US, even as foreign nationals.

I disagree with you on employment eligibility issue. Some jobs do require applicants to be citizens. Some jobs require special clearance. Most jobs don't fall into those categories. It's only legal for employers to ask for documents for employment eligibility verification after they hire an applicant. And it's illegal to discriminate against a person who only has a driver's license and an EAD as long as it's still valid, even if it'll expire the next day. There are companies and employers who do things illegal. People will be empowered if they know their rights.

Your understanding of the employment issue is not correct because many employers will not hire people with only an EAD and require proof of citizenship, a green card or refugee/asylee status. An example is here.

People with EADs (unless they are refugee/asylees) are permitted to be in the US temporarily and have very limited rights. Many firms will not hire them and they have no legal cases to make.

this proves my point

The law says that
"It is an unfair immigration-related employment practice for a person or other entity to discriminate against any individual (other than an unauthorized alien, as defined in section 1324a(h)(3) of this title) with respect to the hiring, or recruitment or referral for a fee, of the individual for employment or the discharging of the individual from employment -

(A)

because of such individual's national origin, or

(B)

in the case of a protected individual (as defined in paragraph (3)), because of such individual's citizenship status

So there are two types of protection. One is national origin which means we cannot discriminate a person of Japanese heritage from one of Canadian heritage. This applies to everyone.

But the second protection are only for protected individuals with certain immigration statuses.
SO IT IS LEGAL TO DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF INS STATUS AGAINST PEOPLE WHO CANNOT PROVE THEY ARE CITIZENS, LPRS AND ASYEES/REFUGEES. Many employers, including mine, do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
PROTECTED PEOPLE DEFINED

According to the law,

'Protected individual'' defined

As used in paragraph (1), the term ''protected individual'' means an individual who -

(A)

is a citizen or national of the United States, or

(B)

is an alien who is lawfully admitted for permanent residence, is granted the status of an alien lawfully admitted for temporary residence under section 1160(a) or 1255a(a)(1) of this title, is admitted as a refugee under section 1157 of this title, or is granted asylum under section 1158 of this title; but does not include

(i)

an alien who fails to apply for naturalization within six months of the date the alien first becomes eligible (by virtue of period of lawful permanent residence) to apply for naturalization or, if later, within six months after November 6, 1986, and

(ii)

an alien who has applied on a timely basis, but has not been naturalized as a citizen within 2 years after the date of the application, unless the alien can establish that the alien is actively pursuing naturalization, except that time consumed in the Service's processing the application shall not be counted toward the 2-year period.