Special Messgae For Kelvin

My understanding was wrong. This law is so restrictive. If you have had a Green Card for more than five years and don't apply for naturalization you might be turned down for a job. I'm going to apply for naturalization as soon as I can.

Gilbert, I'm alarmed that the banks will turn down a mortgage application if you don't have a GC. Has this always been the case? - Are they any asylees out there who have mortgages?

THAT WAS NOT WHAT I SAID

I did NOT say anything like that. What I said was that it is as a general rule more difficult for people without citizenship or green cards to get residential mortgages. They have to pay higher rates.

I also say that MOST banks consider asylees as permanent residents when making credit decisions

I am an asylee and have a mortgage for my penthouse apartment with a rate that is hard to beat.

Originally posted by meLIBERTY2
Gilbert, I'm alarmed that the banks will turn down a mortgage application if you don't have a GC. Has this always been the case? - Are they any asylees out there who have mortgages

Asylees are permanent residents for employment, tax and credit purposes.

We were discussing if it's legal to discriminate against immigration status in general, not in particular to asylees.

Besides, corporations and organizations can choose not to discriminate against immigration status even when it's legal to do so. Business is business.

meLIBERTY2

My company is in Mortgage Fraud Detection business. As an immigrant, any kind, YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE MORTGAGE OR ANY KIND OF LOAN. Just tell them that it is illegal to discriminate an immigrant (meaning you are already approved for legal status in US – green card holders, refugees, asylees, H1B …), and ask for their supervisor and mention that you can sue them for discrimination. Trust me, this worked for so many people here in Mid West. This also means that WE ARE ELIGIBLE for FEDERAL AID for school. Many schools refuse to take an application from the refugees or asylees, but by the law, they are required to do so. Hope this helps.

It is spelled out in the instructions that accompany FAFSA that asylees are eligible. So all an asylee needs to do is simply point that out to the Admission/Financial Aid people.

Besides, the Department of Education sends upon processing the student and the school a confirmation letter which resolves ALL questions on eligibility.

I applied for mortgage 4 years ago. The mortgage broker, my real estate agent recommended obviously never met non-citizen. He told me that the only mortgage I can get is 5-yrs variable for foreign citizens. I dropped him and went to the broker, my GC holder’s friends recommended. The only condition he had that I will have to pay 5% more down payment. You really should shop around, be persistent and try to deal with people who have experience with new arrivals. Neighborhoods with big immigrant communities are always good places to start looking for banks, agents, even colleges.

Hey thanks for the advise. I have long history at my bank (Citibank) , from the days I was an F1 student and I already have a credit card, checking plus line, IRA and a good relationship there.

I think the big banks are better informed about procedure than small banks of nowhere (they may not necesarily offer the best rates though) but regardless, it's good that have this piece of information to arm myself with.

actually my FAFSA case is processing...
hopefully it gonna get final approval at the end of this month...

Kelvin,

When did you send it in? You can check its status on the web or via phone. It should not take more than one month.

I also want you to know that when you get the letter from them, it might say that the INS cannot determine if you are eligible and it is looking further into the matter. Do not freak out by this. A second letter should come in a few days saying that you are eligible.

Regards,

Originally posted by Gilbert
Kelvin,

When did you send it in? You can check its status on the web or via phone. It should not take more than one month.

I also want you to know that when you get the letter from them, it might say that the INS cannot determine if you are eligible and it is looking further into the matter. Do not freak out by this. A second letter should come in a few days saying that you are eligible.

Regards,

na...actually it usually take u approximately 3months to get approval since i applid for it 3months before
also, u can check ur case's status via website: www.fafsa.ed.gov
and, they'd already confirmed my immigration status
i didnt feel freak about that INS confirmation...
all the process can be shown on the net...accroding to those gradual transactions
seems that my FAFSA case's processing smoothly
probably i'll receive my check at late Nov.thanxgiving

Originally posted by kelvin2088

na...actually it usually take u approximately 3months to get approval since i applid for it 3months before
also, u can check ur case's status via website: www.fafsa.ed.gov
and, they'd already confirmed my immigration status
i didnt feel freak about that INS confirmation...
all the process can be shown on the net...accroding to those gradual transactions
seems that my FAFSA case's processing smoothly
probably i'll receive my check at late Nov.thanxgiving

The kid always freaks out and does not understand life generally. ;)