• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

some questions before the interview

Dunavis

Registered Users (C)
hi everyone,

my interview has been scheduled for the month of march, and i thought some of the more experienced people here can help me with the following questions:

1. i still have not received my 2nd NL, but know my interview date, time, and place. do i actually need the letter itself? i emailed kcc asking for a digital copy of the 2nd NL, but they just replied that i should address all my questions to the American consulate in my home country?

2. while i do not have sufficient funds in the bank for myself and my wife, i own one quarter of a house, which amounts to more than the required monetary amount. do they accept real estate ownership as personal funds?

3. related to the second question, my I-20 form states that an American university will be giving me (I'm a graduate student) more than the minimum wage through 2011--this is a scholarship and not an employment offer. would that be accepted as sufficient funds?

4. i was a student in the US as an undergrad, and have also lived in the UK for more than 6 months; do i also need police certificates from these two countries?

thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi everyone,

my interview has been scheduled for the month of march, and i thought some of the more experienced people here can help me with the following questions:

1. i still have not received my 2nd NL, but know my interview date, time, and place. do i actually need the letter itself? i emailed kcc asking for a digital copy of the 2nd NL, but they just replied that i should address all my questions to the American consulate in my home country?
You should have email them of your interview date and you could have used that reply for your medicals and the interview.

2. while i do not have sufficient funds in the bank for myself and my wife, i own one quarter of a house, which amounts to more than the required monetary amount. do they accept real estate ownership as personal funds?
You need to show that you owned a quarter of the house by means of documents, you need to have the house also evaluated/assessed by a competent evaluators to let the embassy know the real value of the house. Maybe other forumers could explain this more.

3. related to the second question, my I-20 form states that an American university will be giving me (I'm a graduate student) more than the minimum wage through 2011--this is a scholarship and not an employment offer. would that be accepted as sufficient funds?
I don't have any idea about this issue. But you should realise that a scholarship is not an income that one should depend on it.

4. i was a student in the US as an undergrad, and have also lived in the UK for more than 6 months; do i also need police certificates from these two countries?
You don't need a police certificate from the U.S. since it's done for every winner automatically. If you have lived in the U.K. for more than 6 months and were over 16 years, you will need a police certificate from there. You can get it from here http://www.acpo.police.uk/Certificates\Police Certificates App Form.pdf

th

Last edited by a moderator:
hi everyone,

Youy have time and you probably will receive the letter on time to bring with you.

NO! Real estate will not be looked at since many people now are in foreclosure and others can't sell their property at all. Funds means money that you can use to spent on food, rent, clothes, traveling from your home to work, and other things for the normal daily stuff. On top of that USCIS or CP is not in the business to check what your property value is and do all these searches, so again this won't be looked at.

Nice that you have a scholarship, but it doesn't count towards funding at all. Your books won't be incl. and probably not all of your meals, and for sure no clothing, gas, etc. is incl. in the scholarship it just means you have to spent less for you College.

Yes.

Again funding is money in a bank that you can show where it came from because a loan isn't counted as funding. You can check the poverty guide lines to check how much you need to proof and otherwise you need a I-134 or a job offer with a statement on a letterhead from the company or business.

thanks for the replies, but i got two different answers on whether or not i can have my ownership on a real estate count as sufficient funds--which one is correct? please advise!

thanks for the replies, but i got two different answers on whether or not i can have my ownership on a real estate count as sufficient funds--which one is correct? please advise!

I know I'm right but that doesn't help you much more...Call a lawyer and you will find out that I'm right and use your common sense.

Do you really think USCIS or CP will check how many mortgages you have on your home and if you will be able to sell your home or not....they aren't in the real estate business. On top o that is owning a complete home or part of it, helping you to pay for food, gas, clothes, rental fees, utilities, etc... The money is in your home and nothing that you can use is cash money! So tell me how you are going to pay for stuff while they money is in stones, or wood?

If you have a form I-134 filled out and the person who is willing to sponsor you has no income but just ownes a home, you will not be able to useit since they want to see money like savings, income, etc....although real estate can be added and will be looked at as an assett on top of the restm which makes the person looks better.

You look better owning a home, but as I stated befoe, the house is not helping you the first months to get ood in you body, clothes to be paid for, and gas in your tank...neither will your house pay your rent...you need money that you can access right away....How will you pay for your books, because no scholarship is paying for 100% of your books...

Hi All!
Can anyone help me with these questions.
1.How is the I134 form to be filed?
2.Is it to be filled by the sponsor and send it back to the applicant along with the supporting document directly?
3.Is it to be filled by the sponsor and submit them to the USCIS office in USA for verification and then the forms are sent back to the applicant ?
4.If number 3 is the case then who is going to send the form USCIS office or the Sponsor?

I read the instruction in the USCIS.gov for I134 but I am still unclear.

Can anyone explain me the whole process? I would like to thank him/her in advance.

I know I'm right but that doesn't help you much more...Call a lawyer and you will find out that I'm right and use your common sense.

Do you really think USCIS or CP will check how many mortgages you have on your home and if you will be able to sell your home or not....they aren't in the real estate business. On top o that is owning a complete home or part of it, helping you to pay for food, gas, clothes, rental fees, utilities, etc... The money is in your home and nothing that you can use is cash money! So tell me how you are going to pay for stuff while they money is in stones, or wood?

You look better owning a home, but as I stated befoe, the house is not helping you the first months to get ood in you body, clothes to be paid for, and gas in your tank...neither will your house pay your rent...you need money that you can access right away....How will you pay for your books, because no scholarship is paying for 100% of your books...

I read many wrong affirmations through this forum and I would like to correct.

First of all, the DV Lottery is an Education/Work experience-based program, then evidence of funds is not mandatory and depends on, in the most cases, the current country of living. I.e., in France, the most important is your prospective job in US. Consular officer checks the median wage for this profession and compare to your family composition.

Secondly, owning a home is a guarantee regarding your current life. No need to explain that people owning a home in their country wouldn't leave to become public charge in US.
My advice to Jay-Singh: bring your documents about ownership and if you can, bring also an appraisal of value from organization authorized to assess propeerty value.

Good Luck and stay strong.

Hi All!
Can anyone help me with these questions.
1.How is the I134 form to be filed?
2.Is it to be filled by the sponsor and send it back to the applicant along with the supporting document directly?
3.Is it to be filled by the sponsor and submit them to the USCIS office in USA for verification and then the forms are sent back to the applicant ?
4.If number 3 is the case then who is going to send the form USCIS office or the Sponsor?

I read the instruction in the USCIS.gov for I134 but I am still unclear.

Can anyone explain me the whole process? I would like to thank him/her in advance.

#2. is the correct procedure.
Check here

"First of all, the DV Lottery is an Education/Work experience-based program, then evidence of funds is not mandatory and depends on, in the most cases, the current country of living. I.e., in France, the most important is your prospective job in US. Consular officer checks the median wage for this profession and compare to your family composition"

Not completely right....You have to eligible for all requirements asked for...background check, education (High School diploma) or work experience. On top of that you need to proof that either your job is providing enough funds, or you have enough funding.

"Secondly, owning a home is a guarantee regarding your current life. No need to explain that people owning a home in their country wouldn't leave to become public charge in US.
My advice to Jay-Singh: bring your documents about ownership and if you can, bring also an appraisal of value from organization authorized to assess propeerty value."

Proof where it is stating that owning a home is showing you have enough money above the poverty lines....! You can't so be careful before you have some one believe ownng a home and no funding is good enough to get the GC, because it isn't. Specially in todays economy when people can't get their homes sold, the value of the home doesn't say much. If there is a mortgage the home can be even harder to sell since you need approval of the lender to do a short sale and most homes aren't worth what they were mortgaged for. On top of that home sales are way down, and again USCIS is not an appraisel company or in the business to check if you can sell your home....but if the poster who put this up can proof I'm wrong, please do so, because just as for this lottery/GC no other visa is allowing a home to be counted towards investments or funding. If you apply for an E2, they don't care if you have 4 homes...it might look better and you can bring it up but it is real money they look at. Does it any where in the poverty guidelines say "property owned"? No way, stocks don't count either....money in the bank does....

"First of all, the DV Lottery is an Education/Work experience-based program, then evidence of funds is not mandatory and depends on, in the most cases, the current country of living. I.e., in France, the most important is your prospective job in US. Consular officer checks the median wage for this profession and compare to your family composition"

Not completely right....You have to eligible for all requirements asked for...background check, education (High School diploma) or work experience. On top of that you need to proof that either your job is providing enough funds, or you have enough funding.

"Secondly, owning a home is a guarantee regarding your current life. No need to explain that people owning a home in their country wouldn't leave to become public charge in US.
My advice to Jay-Singh: bring your documents about ownership and if you can, bring also an appraisal of value from organization authorized to assess propeerty value."

Proof where it is stating that owning a home is showing you have enough money above the poverty lines....! You can't so be careful before you have some one believe ownng a home and no funding is good enough to get the GC, because it isn't. Specially in todays economy when people can't get their homes sold, the value of the home doesn't say much. If there is a mortgage the home can be even harder to sell since you need approval of the lender to do a short sale and most homes aren't worth what they were mortgaged for. On top of that home sales are way down, and again USCIS is not an appraisel company or in the business to check if you can sell your home....but if the poster who put this up can proof I'm wrong, please do so, because just as for this lottery/GC no other visa is allowing a home to be counted towards investments or funding. If you apply for an E2, they don't care if you have 4 homes...it might look better and you can bring it up but it is real money they look at. Does it any where in the poverty guidelines say "property owned"? No way, stocks don't count either....money in the bank does....

Bentlebee, I don't think there is the need to argue about this. I've read countless interview experiences where the applicants have used their property to meet the finance part of the interview. The main thing about the affidavit of support is not to become a public charge in the U.S. The interview officers normally looks at the "totality of circumstances" and may even decide not to ask for any assurances for funding. If one is using his property, it needs to be assessed by a competent evaluator and the applicant must also indicate whether the property is freehold or mortgaged. If it's mortgaged, the applicant need to declare how much is left to be paid and other information.

Sure, but without any other funds it will for sure not be enough...I agree no reason to argue, but the OP is asking if owning a house with a mortgage is enough to show, and the answer is "NO"!

Hi its me mataan adams new to this programmme and i want to know more about the usage of tihis .

Help me i am 2010 dv regestered man waiting his good result

by mataan

Check my new thread about questions at interview and see how much they asked about where the money came from....it happened this morning. GC approved!!!

ammeck & bentlebee: thank you so much for your help. i went ahead and asked someone i know in the US for an affidavit of support (better safe than sorry!)

as for my earlier question about not receiving my 2nd NL... I emailed KCC, asking them to send me my 2nd NL via email--they replied by sending me my interview date, but not a digital copy of the actual letter as I hoped they would. Can I use their email with the date of my interview on it (the printout that is) as evidence for my medicals and as an invitation for entering the embassy?

thanks again!

ammeck & bentlebee: thank you so much for your help. i went ahead and asked someone i know in the US for an affidavit of support (better safe than sorry!)

as for my earlier question about not receiving my 2nd NL... I emailed KCC, asking them to send me my 2nd NL via email--they replied by sending me my interview date, but not a digital copy of the actual letter as I hoped they would. Can I use their email with the date of my interview on it (the printout that is) as evidence for my medicals and as an invitation for entering the embassy?

thanks again!

Yes, you can!