Social Security Status Update after citizenship?

ricky0721

Registered Users (C)
During our oath ceremony for citizenship, they advised people to get their status changed in Social Security office from Permanent Resident to Citizen. Has anyone done this or know the process - whether its online or we need to call them up? I Couldnt find much information on ssa.gov or on this discussion board about this.

During our oath ceremony for citizenship, they advised people to get their status changed in Social Security office from Permanent Resident to Citizen. Has anyone done this or know the process - whether its online or we need to call them up?

You go to the local SSA office with proof of citizenship and fill out a new SS-5. There's no rush - I didn't do it until after I got my passport.

Updating SSA is very important. We just fill up the same info on SS-5 form except new citizenship status. Also, they need to look at the ORIGINAL naturalization letter. Heard some SS offices do not accept US passport as proof without Naturalization certificate.

Also, they need to look at the ORIGINAL naturalization letter. Heard some SS offices do not accept US passport as proof without Naturalization certificate.

That's not been my experience. An SSA office can't require different forms of proof of US citizenship depending on how you became a citizen.