Social Security, Only US Citizens are eligible(except few countries)

qwertyisback

Registered Users (C)
Members,
This might be interesting document to read. Especially for those who planning to return their home country and for others too.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/international/your_ss.html#countries

As per this, non-US citizen (staying outside US territory) is not eligible for SS benefit (unless they are from certain countries, which excludes most asian countries).
So it was myth that if you complete 40 quarters, you are eligible for SS benefits regardless of your location. One more stab at future non-immigrants. :D :D

members,
its confusing... after reading more, their are some references about asian countries, but its complicated, and lots of "ifs" and "what ifs" are present, so I can't conclude for sure. If somebody get it, please post in simple English. :D :D

If one become US Citizen and residing out of USA for example INDIA..
do the person get benifits ..
firstof all what are all thie SSN benifits???
Someone can pose their views please

For US citizens also, staying abroad ,its not gurented.
Read following text from above Document.

"If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the U.S. as long as you are eligible for them."

qwertyisback said:
For US citizens also, staying abroad ,its not gurented.
Read following text from above Document.

"If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the U.S. as long as you are eligible for them."

Are you implying that US citizens residing in the US have a different situation - that they may receive Social Security payments if they are not eligible for them? :D

TheRealCanadian said:
Are you implying that US citizens residing in the US have a different situation - that they may receive Social Security payments if they are not eligible for them? :D

I think, "may" can be attached more strings(by SS Office) ,if citizens residing outside US... :D :D .

Last edited by a moderator:
qwertyisback said:
I think, "may" can be attached more strings(by SS Office) ,if citizens residing outside US... :D :D .

Yes, like if they move to that popular retirement destination, North Korea.

Better move quickly, qwerty, I hear the real estate's being gobbled up quickly! :D

TheRealCanadian said:
Yes, like if they move to that popular retirement destination, North Korea.

Better move quickly, qwerty, I hear the real estate's being gobbled up quickly! :D

You should have told me before you moved their... :D :D . For me, my country INDIA is BEST place in the world.

That is why President Bush's plan for private SS accounts is a great idea
to non-citizens. If some money are privatized, you can get hold of them
no matter what.

AmericanWannabe said:
That is why President Bush's plan for private SS accounts is a great idea to non-citizens. If some money are privatized, you can get hold of them no matter what.

Absolutely. And if you retire outside the US, you won't be stuck with the higher taxes to pay off the hundreds of billions of dollars in excess debt that this plan requires. :D

TheRealCanadian said:
Absolutely. And if you retire outside the US, you won't be stuck with the higher taxes to pay off the hundreds of billions of dollars in excess debt that this plan requires. :D

I personal think if citizens know privatitation of SS benefits non-citizens,
they will tend to oppose it given all other factors held equal.