Social Security Number and Drivers License

Chavita

I submitted my marriage based GC application last month. When can I get a social security number and drivers license? Do I have to get a green card to get them? If I get an employment authorization document, can I get both of them?

I went to DMV to apply for a driving license , they refused as I didn't receive my social security number yet.. did anybody have the same experience?

yes i do have the same experience, so i am still waiting my social security number. they said on the driving license application form you need to write your social security number.

did the DMV say you need to show them a SSN card or just provide the number?

when you apply for SSN, you'll only receive the card after 2 weeks. However, you can walk in SSA office and find out your number after 1 business day :)

When you go into the social security office with your "employment letter" they will mail you a card that will say "For work only", once you get your visa; they will remove that off your card for free. Anyways, you take your social security card to the DMV and you can instantly apply for a state ID but it will say "Vistor" on your card until you get your visa and they will remove it for $11 dollars. Some people just want to wait until they get the visa so they only pay the $21 dollars the first time.
As for Driver Licences, you have to study the book and take the test usally between 9-4 pm and pass. Then you have to get your butt early within the week to take the driving test as it is a first come basis (you will have to use a personal car that has at least liability insurance, and don't show up driving it to the DMV as you can get a ticket, get a friend to drive you) and then pass that test. You prepay even if you don't pass as you are given a time limit to finally pass, so study and practice. Good Luck!