Social Security and "A" Number

okun

Registered Users (C)
My immigrant visa was approved in Africa on September 23 2004.I arrived on February 9, 2005 through New York. My passport had arrival date stamped on it. On February 10, 2005, I went to the social security office in area for my SSN but officer would not issue social security number. The officer said my passport should have Temporary Permanent residence stamp or alien registration “A number”. I found that it was not recorded in my passport at the time of arriving into the U.S. February 9, 2005.

Social security office want official letter stating I am qualified for Social Security Number. Which office do I contact

Thanks,
Mrs. Okun

Last edited by a moderator:
okun said:
My immigrant visa was approved in Africa on September 23 2004.I arrived on February 9, 2005 through New York. My passport had arrival date stamped on it. On February 10, 2005, I went to the social security office in area for my SSN but officer would not issue social security number. The officer said my passport should have Temporary Permanent residence stamp or alien registration “A number”. I found that it was not recorded in my passport at the time of arriving into the U.S. February 9, 2005.

Social security office want official letter stating I am qualified for Social Security Number. Which office do I contact

Thanks,
Mrs. Okun

Check this link

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/immvisa.htm#apply

It has information about getting immigrant visa number

Magician said:
It has information about getting immigrant visa number

He already got the visa number, and the visa and then used the visa to come to the United States. Now SSA is getting pissy because he doesn't have an A#.

I know the A# is on the I-551 stamps given with AOS, since you get your A# at the time the I-485 is filed. I don't know about Consular Immigrant visas; you might need to wait for the welcome letter to arrive.

I guess you are talking about permanent residency thru consular processing. In that case you would've had an application notice with you. The A# might be listed on that.

new2gc said:
then you must be having GC

Of course he has a green card. He just doesn't know his A# yet. I'd switch over to the Consular Processing Immigrant Visa forum and ask others who had arrived after getting the IV when they got their A#.

qwertyisback said:
Whats this immigrant visa?? Is it a GC??

AOS route means you came to USA on nonimmigrant visa and change you r status to PR. CP route means they give you an immigration visa and you come on it and get GC.
In my opinion, CP GC is superior to AOS GC

okun said:

Thanks,
Mrs. Okun

What happened to your case afterwards?

okun said:

You can try to locate your A# by calling toll free USCIS NSS, but that will give you only A# - no document to produce at SSA. Nowadays it takes less than 8 weeks to receive plastic green card. That card will have your A#. As you arrived on 9th Feb, hopefully you will get it pretty soon. That's the easiest route I can think of (unless you need your SSN now badly).

Thanks for the information. I have received my GC and Social Security number.
I found on my immigration visa, the “A” number was already written in my immigration visa. The A# was written as my registration.
Please note when someone is coming into the U.S. with an immigrant visa, the alien number is the same registration number. Most SSN officials do not know that.

Mrs. Okun

okun

is anything stamped on your ss card like "allowed to work only with INS authorization" ??

if so then you need to go back and show them that gc you got.

I am puzzled by this

what on earth can you do while you wait for that damn card?

it's almost as if you are not really a pr until you have that card in your hand.

sanei01 said:
Hello,
is A# in EAD card same as A# for green card??
I am looking for your answer,
Thanks,
the A#, under normal circumstances, stays the same for an alien throughout their life. it is mentioned on their naturalization certificate as well.