SKIL Bill?

Lawyers are crooks to ...

marlon2006 said:
If you buy his analysis ? You don't realize that all he wants is to keep a reasonable immigration provision (our EB visa number increase) attached to the highly controversial bill so that supporters of guest-workers/amnesty can have better chances. AILA doesn't care if we take a hit and our applications get overhelmed again as it did by the 245(i). All immigration attorneys see is a profit opportunity. His analysis from the motives which S.1932 got killed is probably wrong. S.1932 failed because it contained the highly controversial H1B visa number increase and it was discussed during a budget meeting. Kind of deceptive game there.

marlon2006,

I have not come to this conclusion based purely on what this lawyer is saying. I know that all lawyers have a vested interest in illegals getting amnesty and they would hate for the CIR to die. The vehement opposition to abolishing labor substitution showed me that lawyers are concerned only about money. They don't care if we have to wait for 10 years to get our GCs.
I do not trust lawyers just as much as I do not trust politicians. Both these parties have personal agendas and that agenda does not include legals. They would like us legals to think that they care but they don't.

Maybe I am being to pessimistic but I reall don't think legal immigrants hold any weight in this current immigration debate. We are just being used by different parties to futher their own agenda. Any relief we receive will be a by product of that agenda .. if we are lucky ..

regards,

saras

Exactly... the attorneys are just like most middle-men and brokers. They get paid regardless of positive or negative outcomes on our applications. Approval of the CIR bill means more customers for them. 12 million customers is ALOT of money! Which is why the only bill that would ever have any meaning (for me personally anyway) is one which allows us to do self-sponsorship and to apply directly with USCIS without the need for an attorney. Think it's ridiculous to ask for such a thing? Check out the Canadian and Australian immigration system for Permanent Residents... no migration agents or lawyers are required... you make your own submissions. Also, their quotas are applied globally (no country specific) and it's FIFO processing... no crappy labor substitutions and such.

saras76 said:
marlon2006,

I have not come to this conclusion based purely on what this lawyer is saying. I know that all lawyers have a vested interest in illegals getting amnesty and they would hate for the CIR to die. The vehement opposition to abolishing labor substitution showed me that lawyers are concerned only about money. They don't care if we have to wait for 10 years to get our GCs.
I do not trust lawyers just as much as I do not trust politicians. Both these parties have personal agendas and that agenda does not include legals. They would like us legals to think that they care but they don't.

Maybe I am being to pessimistic but I reall don't think legal immigrants hold any weight in this current immigration debate. We are just being used by different parties to futher their own agenda. Any relief we receive will be a by product of that agenda .. if we are lucky ..

regards,

saras

gravitation said:
My understanding is that House's problem is with amnesty and treatment to illegal immigrants. Do they a problem with legal immigrants as well? Sb fill me up on this.
The majority of the House is against all increases in immigration, as their perception is that immigrants (legal or illegal) take away American jobs.

I think most in the house are against illegal alien amnesty.
For the legal alien cause we have figures such as Hayworth, Cornyn, Kyl just to name few off on top of my head who are outspoken against the amnesty but are in favor of higher visa numbers for the EB folks. Also, perhaps the house would have their chance to look good if they vote in favor of the legal folks ? The million dollar question is, is such SKILL bill get a chance to be voted anytime soon. That's the real, real challenge.

Jackolantern said:
The majority of the House is against all increases in immigration, as their perception is that immigrants (legal or illegal) take away American jobs.

Oh boy, those house reps must be dumber than they look.
Have they not heard of the words "offshore outsourcing"???
That's also something that can take away American Jobs.
People do not need to migrate to the USA anymore to threaten the job security of American citizens.
What will the House propose next? Complete ban on all forms of work process transfer to foreign nations? Start trade wars with the world?

Oh, and btw, I know an immigrant who got his GC back in the 90s and now runs a company with 200+ employees. He created jobs for locals!

Jackolantern said:

saras76 said:
Guys and Gals,

Only the comprehensive immigration bill will be considered this year. That is my thinking. Although this is a great bill there isn't enough leverage to convince the Senate and the House to take it up and push it through. It will be added to the pile of other such bills that are introduced and then never talked about again. I hope I am wrong but I am pretty sure this is what will happen.

regards,

saras

The CIR bill may not even be considered this year. Even if it somehow gets introduced back to the senate floor it is not going anywhere. So there goes your argument that only CIR will be considered this year.

The SKIL bill has the best provisions for EB folks. THE CIR bill with hard country limits does not even compare with the provisions in SKIL.

Framing the debate

Guys and Gals

I always thought ECONOMICS was something Americans knew. There are trends in this world whose time have come. Can you stop them?

One of the trends is - globalization

i.e. Increased economic integration of the world through trade, cross-investments and global financial systems.

Business will look for efficiency and productivity improvements - if globalization and outsourcing helps, so be it. If hiring $400/hour consultants work, so be it. If hiring minimum wage person will get the job done, so be it.

The fact is business competitiveness demands maximising opportunities globally and that includes the WAR FOR TALENT.

Backlay's Bank offered $ 183,000 STARTING SALARY to a fresh IIM graduates. Why? Again WAR FOR TALENT.

US will have to decide how it plays in the new WAR FOR TALENT.
If it does NOT play it correctly, it will go the UK way - once the most dominant player, now, as some say the "51st state of USA".

Regards
GCStrat :)

Maybe ...

bear23 said:
The CIR bill may not even be considered this year. Even if it somehow gets introduced back to the senate floor it is not going anywhere. So there goes your argument that only CIR will be considered this year.

The SKIL bill has the best provisions for EB folks. THE CIR bill with hard country limits does not even compare with the provisions in SKIL.

bear23,

The CIR may not be considered this year but the others won't even make it to the point of being considered. The SKIL is is better than the CIR but I will be very surprised if it is even debated. Its time to face reality ..

regards,

saras76

They latest voices are that CIR is as good as shelved. Read the following:

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2006/05/01/daily55.html

http://www.forbes.com/ceonetwork/2006/05/04/holzer-immigration-reform-cx_hc_0505QandA.html

There still might be a miracle. Barring that, SHOW IS OVER. Go home everybody (pun not intended).

Gravity

saras76 said:
bear23,

The CIR may not be considered this year but the others won't even make it to the point of being considered. The SKIL is is better than the CIR but I will be very surprised if it is even debated. Its time to face reality ..

regards,

saras76

Nothing new.

Very consistent with some on this forum have said since last year:as long as our cause is kept attached to the the ultra controversial illegal immigration discussion, we are toasted.

Now other sources tell me that after the elections, then perhaps it will be harder to pass such guest-worker/amnesty bill. If ther article below reflects what is happening - and I think it does - many pro illegal alien candidates seeking reelection in November may find themselves looking for another job. Therefore the idea that democrats may win the elections doesn't necessarily means passing the bill will be straightforward task.

My only point is that if NO bill is passed now, how can the government keep up with such unsecure borders... I want to see that.

I just hope for a "miracle" and perhaps senator talk about SKILL bill. It is going to be hard though.

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/MikeGallagher/2006/05/05/196168html

gravitation said:
They latest voices are that CIR is as good as shelved. Read the following:

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2006/05/01/daily55.html

http://www.forbes.com/ceonetwork/2006/05/04/holzer-immigration-reform-cx_hc_0505QandA.html

There still might be a miracle. Barring that, SHOW IS OVER. Go home everybody (pun not intended).

Gravity

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, it's a controversial issue. Much more divisive issues have been handled... slavery, suffrage for women, segregation for races... the problem is that these things need years for reaching conclusion after they start boiling. Immigration has started boiling now. Will there be some groundbreaking changes taking place in legislation? Sure! Will it happen within the next 1-5 years? Very possible! Will it happen this month? No, keep dreaming. It's excruciating for those who read these forums every morning and expect a positive ray of hope.

For CIR, the time-frame is years, not days, not weeks, not months.

marlon2006 said:
Very consistent with some on this forum have said since last year:as long as our cause is kept attached to the the ultra controversial illegal immigration discussion, we are toasted.

Now other sources tell me that after the elections, then perhaps it will be harder to pass such guest-worker/amnesty bill. If ther article below reflects what is happening - and I think it does - many pro illegal alien candidates seeking reelection in November may find themselves looking for another job. Therefore the idea that democrats may win the elections doesn't necessarily means passing the bill will be straightforward task.

My only point is that if NO bill is passed now, how can the government keep up with such unsecure borders... I want to see that.

I just hope for a "miracle" and perhaps senator talk about SKILL bill. It is going to be hard though.

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/MikeGallagher/2006/05/05/196168html

A bill .. any bill ..

Guys and Gals,

I think its pointless to argue about the amnesty provisions of the CIR or other provisions that have anything to do with illegals. We legals need some legislation that will bring some relief to us. If this does not happen then we are looking at huge delays.

Personally I don't care if its the SKIL bill or the CIR or any other bill. So long as it adds visa numbers to the quota I will be okay with that. We need to stop acting as if we have leverage and that law makers actually care about our fate. We also need to be less critical about the other provisions in bills that bring relief to us. I would like to know how many us legals would be willing to wait for 10 years just so that illegal immigrant provisions don't get passed. Give me a break. At this point I don't care about the illegal immigrant provisions. If legal provisions get passed along with illegal provisions I will accept it, if legal provisions get passed on their own I will accept it, if legal immigration gets passed with ANY freaking bill I will accept it. We have no choice or say in the matter so lets stop acting as if we do. OUR OPINIONS DO NOT MATTER. We can argue amongst ourselves all our lives but the bottom line is that we need a law in place that solves our problems. Why are we so worried about other provisions. Do you think others are worried about our legal provisions? Why should we waste time and energy on it .. let the US govt figure out the illegal problem on their own, let the Americans figure out their true feelings about illegal immigration ..

regards,

saras76

True and using the examples you cited, reasoning always prevailed and those were oppressed over the years felt a relief. In this case, independent on your or my personal view on amnesty, reasoning and the majority of voters are against the illegal aliens amnesty bill since that is perceived as an invasion. It is when things may stall for a while and die for good until the day enough leadrs get elected. Pay attention to this:illegal aliens and leaders are not happy not even with a guest-worker program. They want amnesty and that is unlikely to happen.

Then we have the increasing threat of another 9/11 thanks to the same open border agenda. That would be it.

My attorney tells me that AILA will have a meeting with a DOS rep this Summer. Therefore 2 months prior to the October 2006 visa bulletin he believes we may hear whether October 2006 visa bulletin can bring us hope to see EB3 numbers reaching 2002. Then again, I am not sure whether what DOS says is accurate since USCIS is the department which dictates the cut-off dates to a certain extent.

gravitation said:
Sure, it's a controversial issue. Much more divisive issues have been handled... slavery, suffrage for women, segregation for races... the problem is that these things years for reaching conclusion after they start boiling. Immigration issue is boiling right now. Will there be some groundbreaking changes take place in legislation? Sure! Will it happen within the next 1-5 years? Very possible! Will it happen this month? No, keep dreaming. It's excruciating for those who read these forums and expect a positive ray of hope.

For CIR, the time-frame is years, not not days, not weeks, not months.

gut feeling

My 2 cents worth...

I think some relief to EB based immigrants is on the cards. Not because we want but because Businesses are feeling the pinch.

Nothing substantial will happen on illegal immigration other than BORDER security. They will "water down" HR 4437 in the Senate-House compromise and show it as a VICTORY for American people and rule of law OR they will let it lapse.

Other than that, we can all continue our "intellectual ....."

Regards

same gut feeling...

I agree with gcstrat to some extent. Everybody is feeling the pressure of retrogression of EB based immigrants, even USCIS. The introduction of numerous bills for that is some indication, though the future of those bills is difficult to predict. There has to be something in next 6-8 months to resolve retrogression to some extent, though we might see same situation after 1/2 years. But by then most the guys in this forum should have their gc's.

I'm curious: How are the businesses feeling the pinch? Does anybody sitting in India decides, "Hey, I'm not gonna go to US, retrogression is way too much"? I'll bet they haven't even heard of it. Lack of pre-GC mobility plays in the hands in the employers. That's why they usually prefer to file EB3 and not EB2. Businesses are doing ok. The the only change they'd like to see is more H1B's and longer retrogression. I hate to be pessimistic... but don't see any help coming from businesses. My $0.02 (canadian).

gcstrat said:
My 2 cents worth...

I think some relief to EB based immigrants is on the cards. Not because we want but because Businesses are feeling the pinch.

Nothing substantial will happen on illegal immigration other than BORDER security. They will "water down" HR 4437 in the Senate-House compromise and show it as a VICTORY for American people and rule of law OR they will let it lapse.

Other than that, we can all continue our "intellectual ....."

Regards

Totally agree ..

gravitation said:
I'm curious: How are the businesses feeling the pinch? Does anybody sitting in India decides, "Hey, I'm not gonna go to US, retrogression is way too much"? I'll bet they haven't even heard of it. Lack of pre-GC mobility plays in the hands in the employers. That's why they usually prefer to file EB3 and not EB2. Businesses are doing ok. The the only change they'd like to see is more H1B's and longer retrogression. I hate to be pessimistic... but don't see any help coming from businesses. My $0.02 (canadian).

gravitation,

I totally agree with you. I don't see employers suffering due to retrgoression. Infact they can continue exploiting employees for longer periods of time. There is no motivation to pass an immigration bill for legals. If the CIR dies then everything dies .. that is my opinion. As much as I don't like all the provisions of the CIR I think thats our only chance.

I don't think anything is going to happen in 06. We might as well forget about a solution this year. Maybe 07 will bring some good news. I know I sound pessimistic but I don't see any "REAL" political move to solve the legal immigration problem. Lots of bills are being introduced but nothing more happens .. this whole immigration issue will be brushed under the carpet in a month.

regards,

saras

Employers are also in a bind

Gravitation

People on H-1B with 4 to 6 years of US experience are valuable to prospective employers.

I know employers who want to hire me but can't. And I have heard many employers indicate they can't "poach" a good resource because he/she is in his/her 5-6 th year and stuck in retro.

Also, remember unemployment rate is 4.6 - 4.7% down from 5.5% levels couple of years ago. There is a tightening of the labor market.

So, while companies who have sponsored your GC may be happy, there is a larger spectrum of employers who want good people and can't get them.

Regards

GCStrat,

You know what, my friends in Australia tell me that employers there do like to hire ppl with US work experience too. So if in the next two years I am still waiting for the GC but my Aust PR is approved, it will be the US's loss...

Don't let the employers here control your life... make a choice... i would think most of us came here by choice... so likewise we can still choose to continue staying here in limbo or do something else.

gcstrat said:
Gravitation

People on H-1B with 4 to 6 years of US experience are valuable to prospective employers.

I know employers who want to hire me but can't. And I have heard many employers indicate they can't "poach" a good resource because he/she is in his/her 5-6 th year and stuck in retro.

Also, remember unemployment rate is 4.6 - 4.7% down from 5.5% levels couple of years ago. There is a tightening of the labor market.

So, while companies who have sponsored your GC may be happy, there is a larger spectrum of employers who want good people and can't get them.

Regards

ufo2002 said:
GCStrat,

You know what, my friends in Australia tell me that employers there do like to hire ppl with US work experience too. So if in the next two years I am still waiting for the GC but my Aust PR is approved, it will be the US's loss...

Don't let the employers here control your life... make a choice... i would think most of us came here by choice... so likewise we can still choose to continue staying here in limbo or do something else.

The issue here is no one understands the specifics of retrogression and why a prospective candidate cannot move around freely though the candidate has excellent experience.