• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Single Mum DV2011

isee

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I just wanted to get some advice for my friend.She is planning on entering the 2011 lottery,she is a single mother of 2.The first child has her last name and the other child has the fathers last name (they have different fathers)she was in long term relationships with both fathers but things never worked out.The fathers have never been in the kids lives.

Now,she will say single on the entry form,but the question is when she wins and goes for the interview,is it going to be a problem if they ask her about the fathers even tho she is a single mother? and will she have to show anything concerning the fathers or they'll not even bother about that?

Thank you all.

Maybe she can get a lawyer to draw up a legal document for her stating that she has sole custody over the children. She can present that document during her interview.

She has to fill out both children's name on the entry. Later she might be asked for additional proof of sole custody as the previous poster stated and/or the daddies might be asked for permission to move to the USA. Do the daddies pay child support? How old are the kids?

She has to fill out both children's name on the entry. Later she might be asked for additional proof of sole custody as the previous poster stated and/or the daddies might be asked for permission to move to the USA. Do the daddies pay child support? How old are the kids?

One is 16 years old and the other is 10 years old,they never pay child support.
I just found out from her that the father of the 16 year old died years ago.

Sorry to hear that, but it makes it easier for you....if they don't pay any child support it might show that they aren't involved in their life and it could make it easier for you to move here without any trouble during your interview.

The legal papers are very important here. These are to prove that they are legally separated and that she has the sole custody of the children.

But if they have the fathers name it must mean they accepted the baby as theirs...it might be more complicated than we think....the USA doesn't want to get into a kidnapping or custody issue...so they probably want a death certificate of the one child's father and a notorized letter or statement that the other child may travel and live abroad.

Court Order

Hi all,

I just wanted to get some advice for my friend.She is planning on entering the 2011 lottery,she is a single mother of 2.The first child has her last name and the other child has the fathers last name (they have different fathers)she was in long term relationships with both fathers but things never worked out.The fathers have never been in the kids lives.

Now,she will say single on the entry form,but the question is when she wins and goes for the interview,is it going to be a problem if they ask her about the fathers even tho she is a single mother? and will she have to show anything concerning the fathers or they'll not even bother about that?

Thank you all.

Hello isee,

Below is a paragraph that may help your friend. I copied it from the instructions that the KCC sent me with my Notification Letter.

"In the cases where a minor child is applying for an Immigrant Visa in order to live in the US with his/her mother or father, and has a biological parent still living in <...>, a COURT ORDER granting the petitioning parent custody (or an AUTHORIZATION BEFORE A NOTARY PUBLIC) must be submitted. The COURT ORDER or AUTHORIZATION must explicitly state that the father consents or authorizes the minor child to live in the Unites States."

But if they have the fathers name it must mean they accepted the baby as theirs...it might be more complicated than we think....the USA doesn't want to get into a kidnapping or custody issue...so they probably want a death certificate of the one child's father and a notorized letter or statement that the other child may travel and live abroad.

Bentlebee,

There are specific instructions of what documents must be submitted in this cases. It can't be considered kidnapping if the father died and she has the custody of the children.

I mean, if the father died, and if the father is listed in the child's birth certificate, then they will ask for a death certificate. She does not have to worry now that she is applying for the DV. She will need those papers for the Consular Interview.

Bentlebee,

There are specific instructions of what documents must be submitted in this cases. It can't be considered kidnapping if the father died and she has the custody of the children.

I mean, if the father died, and if the father is listed in the child's birth certificate, then they will ask for a death certificate. She does not have to worry now that she is applying for the DV. She will need those papers for the Consular Interview.

I understand that was what I stated before, the official papers I mentioned were regarding the other child, but she needs to have proof of the fathers death which won't be so hard....it isn't like you can do whatever you want although the father isn't interested in his child, which sounds strange, but some dad's might even say that they aren't aware where their child is or didn't know who the daddy is....that all has to be proven.

With some people (I'm not stating the OP is one of them) not thinking before they have sex...and getting a child, might have some issue later on in life, like what we are now discussing.

Ouch. So sorry for waisting yr precious time for no people who do things without thinking.

Ouch. So sorry for waisting yr precious time on people who do things without first thinking.

I understand that was what I stated before, the official papers I mentioned were regarding the other child, but she needs to have proof of the fathers death which won't be so hard....it isn't like you can do whatever you want although the father isn't interested in his child, which sounds strange, but some dad's might even say that they aren't aware where their child is or didn't know who the daddy is....that all has to be proven.

With some people (I'm not stating the OP is one of them) not thinking before they have sex...and getting a child, might have some issue later on in life, like what we are now discussing.

Bentlebee.....if you dont have anything useful to say,please dont waste the space.She never said she had issues,you are the one making an issue out of this.....you know nothing about her life to be making such statements.....please, you are not obligated to make a contribution,let those who are truly interested in helping do so.
Only contribute if you have something positive or sensible,not judgment.....

Bentlebee is someone who is here almost 24/7 and who enjoys posting on almost every thread you read. I think she sees this board as playing a major part in her daily existence. As people are starting to see, don't equate her posting prowess with wisdom or ability to give sound answers.