"Similar" Job - Is Consulting and Industry Positions "similar"??

atlantabhopali

Registered Users (C)
Veterans,

Need your opinion on the following job description scenarios:

1. If I were a Technology Manager in a consulting firm (as mentioned in LC), and leave and join a non-software firm as a Technology Project Manager in their internal IT division, would it be considered "similar" job?

2. What if it was Business Manager instead of Technology..? If I join a non-consulting firm as a Business Manager then is it a similar job?

I talked with a lawyer and he answered MAYBE for 1. and NO for 2. Would appreciate if you can share your experiences.

Regards,

-ab

Thanks Jaxen.. But..

...I am still not clear after spending hours reading ONET.. Let us say I am a techno-management consultant and my LC job description was as follows:

"to analyze business problems of our clients using appropriate models and frameworks and design, develop and manage appropriate technical solutions for resolving the same".

If I leave consulting and join one of clients for doing the same, would it be considered "similar job"? On one hand, one could argue that yes it would, as the "job" done is the same while on the other, one could say that in the previous job u were solving "client's" problems while in the new one, you are solving your employer's issues.. That is atleast what a lawyer told me.. I am very perplexed..

Would appreciate your/others comments/experiences..

Thanks,

-ab

Originally posted by jaxen
Title is not important. Job descriptions are.. Responsibilities are. INS uses some standard site to determine this
check out
http://www.bls.gov/oco/
http://online.onetcenter.org/

I think it is all semantics Bhopali.
The group or department for whom u r doing the work for can be considered a client for ur IT group. In fact there are businesses that function that way.
Ur job description does not say it has to be an external client.
Again the job description is given by ur employer and not ur attorney. So if ur employer is willing to give a description as similar to ur LCA as possible, all the attorney has to do is forward it to INS.
There is no dishonesty involved here also, since in ur case nothing has changed!.
If questions or RFE comes though, it will all depend on ur lawyers skills.