Silly Question

whtmyid

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

Now that we are about to file for GC through marriage, I started getting all kinds of questions.. So please bear with me

At what point do you send the supporting document about your marriage life to the INS, like joint lease, or joint financial documents? Is it only at the time of the interview that the IO sees them the first time.. In that case, when we file, we only send the copies of the required docs along with the various application forms?

Answer to a silly question

Hi Guys,

Now that we are about to file for GC through marriage, I started getting all kinds of questions.. So please bear with me

At what point do you send the supporting document about your marriage life to the INS, like joint lease, or joint financial documents? Is it only at the time of the interview that the IO sees them the first time.. In that case, when we file, we only send the copies of the required docs along with the various application forms?

You only send required supporting documents. For example, they need a copy of your passport, you send that along with your application. Copy of your marriage certificate is also needed. The evidence to prove that your marriage isn't to evade immigration laws is brought to USCIS during your interview. Your assumption is correct. No need to send them a copy of your lease or any of that information.:p

Good luck to you...

joint lease, or joint financial documents are required at filing of I-751, petition to remove conditions on residence, you file this form after 3 years of getting GC

An signed I-751 just on its own is complete, in theory. It will however trigger an interview and/or RFE if sent without any evidence. I would advise you to send copies with the I-751 and carry the originals if called for an interview.

At what point do you send the supporting document about your marriage life to the INS, like joint lease, or joint financial documents?

Thanks a lot Guys..

Now that I have gotten two contradicting opinions :p... I am more confused

My lawyer did not ask me to submit any of these documents yet.. we shall see

An signed I-751 just on its own is complete, in theory. It will however trigger an interview and/or RFE if sent without any evidence.

You only send required supporting documents. For example, they need a copy of your passport, you send that along with your application. Copy of your marriage certificate is also needed. The evidence to prove that your marriage isn't to evade immigration laws is brought to USCIS during your interview. Your assumption is correct. No need to send them a copy of your lease or any of that information.:p

Good luck to you...

Send copies of everything that you have.
The point is that you don't HAVE to send anything but your marriage certificate, but you should.
If you have enough supporting evidence with your application you may not be asked for an interview.
Don't wait for your lawyer to ask for it. Insist that they add it.

Hi Guys,

I assume you are applying for the Green Card for the 1st time. You need to send the following all together in the inital packet to Chicago.

Completed I-130 with fees.
Proof of petitioners US Citizenship
Copy of marriage certificate
passport photo of both yourself and your spouse
Completed G-325A both by yourself and your spouse
Copies of at list one of the following (keep originals/ copies, you will need for interview):

• Documentation showing joint ownership or property;
  • A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence;
  • Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources;
  • Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together;
      • Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage);
      • Any other relevant documentation to establish

Completed I-485 with fees.
      Copy of I-94 (This is the slip of paper immigration placed in your passport at point of entry.)
      Copy of you visa page.
      Copy of your passport page.
      Copy of your Birth Certificate.
      Copy of you wedding certificate.
      Completed medical report done by a civil surgeon.
      Police certificate from you home country
      2 passport photos
      Affidavit of support (I-864 from sponsor and co-sponsor if needed) Check poverty guidelines here to see if you need a co-sponsor.)

You can also file I-131 Advance parole and I-765 employment authoristion, at the same time free of charge.

Ingnore the info about the I-751 at the moment you do not file them until you have been a conditional resident for 2 years.

Thank you Tinkerbelluk.. The list helps

I guess I am going to be doing some bugging to the lawyer to include this stuff

Thank you Tinkerbelluk.. The list helps

I guess I am going to be doing some bugging to the lawyer to include this stuff

You don't have to bug your lawyer, you are paying him/her, so he needs to file whatever you ask him. You don't need a lawyer if you use this forum, people on this forum are pretty good, but don't ditch your lawyer as capitalism is good for our future..

good luck to you,

yes - the us embassy in your home country should be able to point you in the direction for getting one. (I found the information when i got my UK one on the embassies website.)

You don't have to bug your lawyer, you are paying him/her, so he needs to file whatever you ask him. You don't need a lawyer if you use this forum, people on this forum are pretty good, but don't ditch your lawyer as capitalism is good for our future..

good luck to you,

I agree you don't need a lawyer really for AOS. use this forum and you should be fine. everyone here has been through the whole process before.

I included some copies of photographs of us together, joint lease, letter about joint bank account, return flight information etc etc... Just a few little things to get them started. You don't NEED to, but I decided to include a little pack. I shall continue to collect more little bits of evidence etc like this in the meantime, for the interview.

I didn't include a police clearance document, I was under the impression that you only need this sort of thing if you've got anything on your record. If you haven't done anything naughty you don't NEED one?

with the police document it better to be safde than sorry and send it it seems to depend on the officer reviewing if they ask for it. One of my friends got an RFE for it last year, and he has no criminal background. (I came in on the fiance visa and was required to get it.)