signature

If the IO asked you to sign the pictures and application with your regular signature, then you need to sign the certificate in the same manner. This is what I was told and what I did, as the signature on the picture should match with what you sign on the certificate. I have since applied and received a passport - so obviously no problem.

I never sign my name in cursive and never intend to. :)

I like that. I did sign with my regular signature on the photos as the IO said. So my certificate will have the same signature ( Cursive in farsi) :D

In all this -
1. How do you sign when you apply for passport? The application for passport - I hear this should be like how you sign "normally" - scrawly as in Bank Checks etc.
This should not be the cursive full 'print' your name thingy, right?

The answer to your question is 'yes'. I signed both the passport application and the passport itself with my normal signature (e.g. bank check signature).

Thank you

Thank you very much. I appreciate if you can let me know when you receive your passport. I am exactly planning to do the same thing. Want to sign my certificate exactly how I printed my name of the photo. Apply for passport with my original signature.

Cheers.
Srinivas

srinivas
write your name on the certificate exactly as you did on the photos using black ink.
you're lucky, the IO gave you black ink. mine gave me blue and insisted i use that one even though i had my black ink. oh well.
i 'signed' my certificate trying to match the 'writing' on the photo. if you feel more comfortable, wait a few days, since i applied for passport on friday. wait until i get my passport. if i had no problems and my writing was accepted i'll elt you know and then you do the same.
pm by the end of next week, hopefully i have received my passport by then

Ok I am going to make matters even worse.
At my interview the IO told me to write my name on the photo in block letters and then she had me "sign" my naturalization certificate in the exact same manner... write full name in block letters. I told her thats not my regular signature and she said it doesnt matter its to make sure that your "signature" is the same on the photo and the certificate and that its readable by anyone.
Now I applied for the passport the at the Post Office and the clerk had me "sign" the application with my full name in cursive! (not block letters)
will this cause problems to get my passport?

To just make it more complicated.....

I was not asked to sign my photo's at my interview, so my certificate arrived with no signings.

If you ask various IO's they say sign the cert with your normal legal signature, however the packet they supplied at the ceremony has a sample cert and CLEAR instructions of how to sign the certificate and the possible consequnces if not. Despite wanting to use my normal signature, I signed it as instructed. I'm now wondering if I was supposed to sign the photos also afterwards... who knows...

I've not applied for my passport yet, so I don't know what will happen... fun times are here again....

I applied for the passport the at the Post Office and the clerk had me "sign" the application with my full name in cursive! (not block letters) will this cause problems to get my passport?

I don't think there would be any problem because the officials in passport offices are aware of the fact that applicants's signature on application and naturalization don't match...as it was the case ever since because USCIS always used to make applicants to sign their naturalization certificate in cursive or block letter, but the application for passport has always been signed-in by regular signature. So, they have known this fact all along and have been dealing it ever since.

Signature is not the only stuff that checks to verify the identity of the applicant; rather copy (or number) of applicant's DL or State issued ID is also there for them to get information on applicants, including photo matching with other govt. agencies like matching the photo with USCIS and DMV. State Department (Passport office) has a lot more excess to other govt. agnecies unlike other agencies of US govt.

As per new policy, applicants can sign all these stuffs in whatever ways they want. It's just a matter of common sense that the signature on photo on naturalization certificate and the signature on naturalization certificate itself should be matched; otherwise one would wonder how someone could have two different signature of very same document.

Just take it easy. Everything will be alright...

Thanks for clearing that up. I actually was not worried until I came across this thread which made me wonder if I did the right thing. When the government is involved you never know what they intended. They make all these rules in a committee and who knows what they were drinking when the wrote this stuff up :)

I am not sweating the small stuff... I am glad that I am not only a tax-payer but now a "tax paying citizen"!!!! Its funny that in my home country no one pays taxes.... what a big move I have made :)

Its funny that in my home country no one pays taxes....

Really?????? I'm then packing to move to your home country...Where is it?? Ain't interested to give my hard earned $$$ to bailout all these big-shot companies whose CEOs cash out $90M-$170M....Tell me...tell me...tell me..where is that heaven located so that I could move there as fast as I could?? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think you really want to go there..... its Pakistan. I never heard of anyone there who pays proper taxes... they all hide their incomes and rampant corruption doesnt help either.