Shouldn't Extend before 3 mo, but I-94 is only 3 months

confuzhn

Registered Users (C)
Immihelp.com says we should not extend our stay before 3 months, So how is it possible to wait for 3 months if the I-94 says we can only stay for 3 months? Do we wait till it expires? or still file for it anyway 4-6weeks before I-94 expires?

thank you for your help

If there is an emergency situation which warrents your stay further than your I 94 expiry date, then, you can apply within 6 to 8 weeks of I 94 date. My friend did this and got an extension of stay.

If there is an emergency situation which warrents your stay further than your I 94 expiry date, then, you can apply within 6 to 8 weeks of I 94 date. My friend did this and got an extension of stay.

My mother-in-laws I-94 was given for 3mos at port of entry ending on Feb 7th and I applied 5 wks before on Jan 4th that and received her extension last week. Hope this helps...all the best!

If the reason is indeed a life/death emergency, apply as soon as it surfaces. Emphasis on it being a genuine emergency.

So how is it possible to wait for 3 months if the I-94 says we can only stay for 3 months? Do we wait till it expires? or still file for it anyway 4-6weeks before I-94 expires?

thanks for the replies. what are examples of non-emergency reasons that would allow me to extend before the stay expire? my honest reason is because i wanted to apply to a school and get an F1 visa, which i declared at the port of entry, but i wasn't given the "prospective student" note on my I94. But to apply for student visa i understand i would also have to wait for at least 3 months. But i don't think i can use that reason to extend my current 3 month stay.

i have another question, we should send a copy of return ticket with the application for extension right? What if, lets say my original return ticket is march 30, 2010, can i send a copy of that? or is it supposed to be the ticket for the intended return date after the extension? (but i wouldn't know if the extension will be accepted)

what happens if the extension is denied, can i still apply for f1 with good chance of approval during the 30 days that i am supposed to leave the country?

If the extension is denied after the date on the I-94, not only are you out of status but also illegally present. No additional COS will be possible since that requires you to be in status. Illegal presence greater than 180 days triggers a ban from entering the US.

F-1 COS approvals generally take much longer than 30 days bust since you would be out of status already, it is a moot point.

Illegal presence voids your existing visa and complicates future visa applications.

Your best bet is to exit the country before the expiration of your current I-94 and apply for F-1 from your home country.

COS to F-1 from B-2 has a strict requirement. Upon entry as B-2, a visitor must declare his/her intentions of possibly joining an institution. If you did not do that at your POE, you cannot COS to F-1.

what happens if the extension is denied, can i still apply for f1 with good chance of approval during the 30 days that i am supposed to leave the country?