Should I get H1 stamp in Canada or home country?

msuryadarma

Registered Users (C)
Hi all, I\'m new to this forum but I think it\'s a great place to get answers, which is what I\'m hoping to get.

Here\'s my situation. I am an Indonesian citizen. I got my BA from a US university with F1 on May 2000, got OPT, started working, got H1 December 2000. I haven\'t gone outside of the US since I started working, so I don\'t have an H1 stamp on my passport.

1. I\'m going to visit my brother in Canada in May. Should I apply for an H1 stamp there? I know there\'s 20-day security check for Indonesian citizens, is this going to happen if I apply in Canada? Am I going to get trouble coming back into the US?
2. I\'m going home to Indonesia in December. Should I apply for H1 stamp there instead?
3. How likely it is for me to get an H1 stamp?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. I am so worried and confused now. Thank you in advance.

My take on this.

1. You will be subjected to the security check. So there is a likely hood of "unable to process your case" decision on your case.

2. That is the best bet. But do not forget about the 20 day waiting period. So give ample time.

3. Getting the stamp at indonesia is your best bet.

So can I still visit Canada?

Hi Jaxen, thanks for the reply.

So can I still visit my brother in Canada and return to the US with expired visa? Is it guaranteed that the immigration officer will let me back in with an expired F1 stamp? Or should I scrap the plan altogether? Thanks again.

to jaxen, H1 revalidation in Vancouver

How risk is H1 revalidation compared F1 to H1 transfer at vancouver for third country nationals.