• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Serious dilema, need you input please!!!!!

form1

Registered Users (C)
My utmost thanks for all those who are contributing to this forum, I'm a neonate in this forum and just stumbled in this informative medium. I happen to be a DV lottery selectee 2009 AF00041xxx, I reside in the USA with an F1 together with my 'wife' who is also an F1. We have been living in the same address for the last 3 years. We plan to do a grand wedding when the right time comes.
Now during the initial electronic entry we filled that we were couples but now my 'wife' doesn't want to do an impromptu marriage for the sake of papers, because of the risks involved in doing AOS or going home for CP we have agreed that I go it a lone. I called KCC and explained to them my situation and they adviced that when I return the forms I specify that I was never married and include a letter explaining why I indicated in the initial application that I was married. They said that they will forward that to place of my choice ( either local immigration office or CP) and that during the interview the immigration officer will make a judgment and decide. Now good people have you ever encountered this kind of situation:confused:? What is your suggestion?
Thanks for your patience.

My utmost thanks for all those who are contributing to this forum, I'm a neonate in this forum and just stumbled in this informative medium. I happen to be a DV lottery selectee 2009 AF00041xxx, I reside in the USA with an F1 together with my 'wife' who is also an F1. We have been living in the same address for the last 3 years. We plan to do a grand wedding when the right time comes.
Now during the initial electronic entry we filled that we were couples but now my 'wife' doesn't want to do an impromptu marriage for the sake of papers, because of the risks involved in doing AOS or going home for CP we have agreed that I go it a lone. I called KCC and explained to them my situation and they adviced that when I return the forms I specify that I was never married and include a letter explaining why I indicated in the initial application that I was married. They said that they will forward that to place of my choice ( either local immigration office or CP) and that during the interview the immigration officer will make a judgment and decide. Now good people have you ever encountered this kind of situation:confused:? What is your suggestion?

Why would you say you were married? If you were not married when you submitted the initial electronic entry how on earth were you going to come up with a marriage certificate that predated your entry?
You have told an out right lie on your application. Even if you did get married now today’s date is past the date of the initial entry so your lie will still be exposed, no matter what you do now your dishonesty will be exposed.
I am not sure if it is still even possible to qualify for a visa now that you have been so dishonest. I hate to be so negative about your situation, but people spend years trying to get GC’s legitimately and reading your post will no doubt infuriate posters on this forum.
You really should learn to tell the truth in future, lies always come back and bite you in the end. Where are you from by the way?

My opinion

Judging by your case number, one can conclude that you are from Africa.My question to you is , what do you mean by refering to your partner as 'wife' ? Are you tradditionally engaged to her in the African sense ? If that is the case there could be a light at the end of the tunnel after all.If that is not the case,did you make a genuine mistake by filling the form as a couple ? or did you have plans of getting married imminently ?

My verdict is :
A. if you are tradditionally engaged, you could get away with having made a genuine mistake of filling the form as a couple.The reason being that, in Africa , we generally consider tradditional engagements as marriage but this excuse will only work if you are doing CP.This excuse will also work if you have enough evidence to proove that you 've been in a relationship long enough to get married.In any case you need a marriage certificate before your interview date.

B.If you write to KCC to inform them that you wish to pursue the DV processing without your so called 'wife', they may disqualify you and that will cost you a possible interview so i will advise you to get married and show them the marriage ceritifcate on the day of the interview.

C. If your so called 'wife' doesn't want to get into a rushed marriage to you, i still believe you can fill the form without her details but explain that she'll not migrate with you as originally thought due current problems you are having in the relationship .Since you are the main applicant, you can always choose to migrate alone if you so wish.

All these assumptions are based on the fact that you are pleading innocent on the basis of having made a genuine mistake on the lottery application form.If that is not the case, then be careful !!!

This is my personal opinion and i hope no one misconstrues me.Any criticisms,comments ,corrections and suggestions are welcome.
Good luck chuck !!!

What is your suggestion?

1) The most you can ask for at this point is just a chance to explain yourself in front of an immigration officer. I think ...due to the F1 + wife situation, CP is no longer an option.

2) Indicating that you are married on the electronic application when you are actually not is fraud. DoS and USCIS know all about this old trick. Am sorry to tell you but they already smell something :
... they adviced that when I return the forms I specify that I was never married and include a letter explaining why I indicated in the initial application that I was married....
Now all they really have to do is wait for you to hang yourself.

3) The whole traditional marriage argument is one of those theories that sound good on paper but hard to pull off in practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything necessary has been said about you lying on the entry, but I wanted to add something about your wife not wanting to rush a wedding: IF you are really really lucky and you get your greencard, does your "wife" know that she cannot get a greencard through you until you become a US citizen? You cannot apply for citizenship until you have been in greencard status for 5years. (A greencard holder can sponsor his wife, but this takes over 5years, so it's usually easier to wait till you are a citizen). Since you have already been on F1 status for 3years, I assume that she will soon be done with her degree. If she cannot find an employee who sponsors her, she will have to leave you in the US and go to her home country.

1) The most you can ask for at this point is just a chance to explain yourself in front of an immigration officer. I think ...due to the F1 + wife situation, CP is no longer an option.
But if he is going for AOS I see another problem. Once he file I-485 and USCIS deny the visa there is a good chance not to get any visa for the US in the future.

But if he is going for AOS I see another problem. Once he file I-485 and USCIS deny the visa there is a good chance not to get any visa for the US in the future.

Thats a good point Taz, but at least he can finish school on his current F1 even with an AOS denial and maybe even get a H1 after that . But if his application is denied by DoS during CP, it's game over. They would cancel his F1 on the spot, getting a H1 or F1 through CP in the future could prove challenging.
(just my $0.02)

Likely they will disqualify you at the interview because of a faked primary application.
You have seen many people marrying after winning this lottery so are they faking too? I did this in good faith and I know we will legally marry one day.
Any way thanks for your response.

Why would you say you were married? If you were not married when you submitted the initial electronic entry how on earth were you going to come up with a marriage certificate that predated your entry?
You have told an out right lie on your application. Even if you did get married now today’s date is past the date of the initial entry so your lie will still be exposed, no matter what you do now your dishonesty will be exposed.
I am not sure if it is still even possible to qualify for a visa now that you have been so dishonest. I hate to be so negative about your situation, but people spend years trying to get GC’s legitimately and reading your post will no doubt infuriate posters on this forum.
You really should learn to tell the truth in future, lies always come back and bite you in the end. Where are you from by the way?
I'm telling you the truth, your pessimism doesn't help here, thanks anyway and keep up that spirit.

Judging by your case number, one can conclude that you are from Africa.My question to you is , what do you mean by refering to your partner as 'wife' ? Are you tradditionally engaged to her in the African sense ? If that is the case there could be a light at the end of the tunnel after all.If that is not the case,did you make a genuine mistake by filling the form as a couple ? or did you have plans of getting married imminently ?

My verdict is :
A. if you are tradditionally engaged, you could get away with having made a genuine mistake of filling the form as a couple.The reason being that, in Africa , we generally consider tradditional engagements as marriage but this excuse will only work if you are doing CP.This excuse will also work if you have enough evidence to proove that you 've been in a relationship long enough to get married.In any case you need a marriage certificate before your interview date.

B.If you write to KCC to inform them that you wish to pursue the DV processing without your so called 'wife', they may disqualify you and that will cost you a possible interview so i will advise you to get married and show them the marriage ceritifcate on the day of the interview.

C. If your so called 'wife' doesn't want to get into a rushed marriage to you, i still believe you can fill the form without her details but explain that she'll not migrate with you as originally thought due current problems you are having in the relationship .Since you are the main applicant, you can always choose to migrate alone if you so wish.

All these assumptions are based on the fact that you are pleading innocent on the basis of having made a genuine mistake on the lottery application form.If that is not the case, then be careful !!!

This is my personal opinion and i hope no one misconstrues me.Any criticisms,comments ,corrections and suggestions are welcome.
Good luck chuck !!!
thanks for your response, yes its kind of a traditional marriage parents from both sides are a ware of our living together and have given has a go a head.
However this lady is reluctant because of the 50-50 chance of geting the GC and we have agreed that I do it a lone.

Everything necessary has been said about you lying on the entry, but I wanted to add something about your wife not wanting to rush a wedding: IF you are really really lucky and you get your greencard, does your "wife" know that she cannot get a greencard through you until you become a US citizen? You cannot apply for citizenship until you have been in greencard status for 5years. (A greencard holder can sponsor his wife, but this takes over 5years, so it's usually easier to wait till you are a citizen). Since you have already been on F1 status for 3years, I assume that she will soon be done with her degree. If she cannot find an employee who sponsors her, she will have to leave you in the US and go to her home country.

She is willing to wait for 5 yrs as long as she doesn't jeorpadise her current status (F1). She an undergraduate nursing and hopes to get an employer to file for her after getting her BSN.

Sure we had vowed long time a go that we will wed but not in a rush, and I genuinely filled the forms knowing we will marry but did pay close attention that it could be this soon.

Difficult situation

Thanks all for taking your time to pump helpful info. I will update you with time. Be proactive & stay +ve, for the same God who made you win will see you sail through successfully.
regards.!!!!:)

You have seen many people marrying after winning this lottery so are they faking too? I did this in good faith and I know we will legally marry one day.
I doesn' matter that you thought you will marry sometime in the future. That's not what the asked.

Question 11 on the e-form is crystal clear: Are you married?

Any yes, we see many people marry after the notification letter, but the did not claim they are at time of application.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doesn' matter that you thought you will marry sometime in the future. That's not what the asked.

Question 11 on the e-form is crystal clear: Are you married?

Any yes, we see many people marry after the notofication letter, but the did not claim they are at time of application.
how do you define marriage?