September 2009 n-400 fillers

IL received

DO: San Jose

My Status:
09/03/09 : N-400 Mailed to Phoenix
09/04/09 : N-400 recieved
09/11/09 : Check Cashed
09/14/09: NOA Received (RD=09/04/09, PD=09/04/09, ND=09/10/09)
09/24/09: RFE (probably for FP) email received @ 2:00AM. Email says ND=09/22/09
09/28/09 : FP Notice Received
??/??/?? : Walkin FP NOT done
10/13/09 : FP Date
10/20/09 : Email received - This case has been sent for a standard interview
??/??/?? : Yellow letter NOT received
10/24/09 : Interview Letter Received
11/20/09 : Interview Date
??/??/?? : oath letter mailed
??/??/?? : Oath Letter recieved
??/??/?? : Oath Date

My Spouse's Status:
09/03/09 : N-400 Mailed to Phoenix
09/04/09 : N-400 recieved
09/11/09 : Check Cashed
09/14/09: NOA Received (RD=09/04/09, PD=09/04/09, ND=09/10/09)
09/24/09: RFE (probably for FP) email received @ 2:00AM. Email says ND=09/22/09
09/28/09 : FP Notice Received
??/??/?? : Walkin FP NOT done
10/13/09 : FP Date
10/20/09 : Email received - This case has been sent for a standard interview
10/23/09 : Yellow letter received for DL
10/24/09 : Interview Letter Received
11/20/09 : Interview Date
??/??/?? : oath letter mailed
??/??/?? : Oath Letter recieved
??/??/?? : Oath Date

Region: Washington DC/Fairfax/Alexandria
GC date: 12/1/04

Sent N-400 for wife and me: Sept 14
Packet received at Lewisville, TX: Sept 15
Check encashed: Sept 18
Fingerprint notice received: Sept 28
Fingerprint appt: Oct 14th
Completed FP: Oct 14 (Alexandria)
IL received: 10/29/2009
IL Scheduled for 12/02/2009.

alright guys, below is the snapshot of my timeline:

Sent N-400 for wife and me: Sept 14
Packet received at Lewisville, TX: Sept 15
Check encashed: Sept 18
Fingerprint notice received: Sept 28
Fingerprint appt: Oct 14th
Completed FP: Oct 14 (Alexandria)
IL received: 10/29/2009 (No YL's, only IL for both me and partner)
IL Scheduled for 12/02/2009 in Fairfax.

I have tickets booked to leave for desh on Dec 10th - exactly a week after the interview - with 5 business days at disposal after interview. There is no way the travel can be postponed. and it doesnt look feasible that I would be able to turn in the green card on Dec 2 and obtain passport, visa etc in 5 business days.

We are strongly contemplating requesting a 're-scheduling' of the interview.

Has anyone done that before ? Does that categorize under a 'major' sin by USCIS that they banish you in the waiting line for several months ?

Please please post your advice !

If you get same day oath, you can drive to DC and get same day or next day passport. I think it is still feasible.

alright guys, below is the snapshot of my timeline:

Has anyone done that before ? Does that categorize under a 'major' sin by USCIS that they banish you in the waiting line for several months ?

Please please post your advice !

you are not US citizen till you attend the oath, So why don't you travel with your existing passport the after interview?

If it's a short visit then your Oath maybe after you come back or if it's not postpone your Oath.

Just my opinion

Good luck

you are not US citizen till you attend the oath, So why don't you travel with your existing passport the after interview?

But Kulfi, remember he won't have his green card anymore.

When in 'apna Desh' the immigration/custom officals can ask for his return tickets and the visa\green card that he would use to re-enter US.

I was asked for return tickets once at Banglore by customs to determine if I need to pay custom on the gadgets I was bringing with me.

Wait a second ......

Did I jump too soon.
Is green card surrendered at initial Interview or during oath?

Just received an e-mail this morning that my case has been transferred to local office. Now awaiting interview letter.

Johntlc/SAE:
So is it guaranteed that during the 'initial' interview, they wont SNATCH away my Green card ? And do they allow us to request for 'oath at a later date' during the interview itself ? Can we mention about the impending trip to Desh and ask the IO to set an 'oath' date into Jan 2010 ?
Thanks again guys - for your thoughts.

Johntlc/SAE:
So is it guaranteed that during the 'initial' interview, they wont SNATCH away my Green card ? And do they allow us to request for 'oath at a later date' during the interview itself ? Can we mention about the impending trip to Desh and ask the IO to set an 'oath' date into Jan 2010 ?
Thanks again guys - for your thoughts.

The main context behind this is just that there is no lag time between green card and citizenship. So you are not due to surrender your green card until they hand you the certificate of naturalization. As per your travel, you still have a small window of opportunity to get your oath done before your specified travel date but there are many other factors to be considered. Be bold, explain your situation to your IO immedaitely after you find out that he/she is recommending you for approval. You might be furtunate to get your oath done same day if they do it at your location. If you give me your DO, I can help you research and let you know some information you can work with.

But remember, all these are speculations and there is no guarantee whatsoever and I am not an expert or a lawyer, I am just drawing on my experience and other people's experience.

Take kia and enjoy your weekend

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a second ......

Did I jump too soon.
Is green card surrendered at initial Interview or during oath?

At initial interview you will submit your IL and Green Card, and get it back after interview. You have to surrendered your green card right before Oath Ceremony.

Thanks guys - we decided to do the interview - and request IO for a later date for Oath. Johntlc - my interview is in FAIRFAX.
Thanks again.

Any one in same boat?

I am in Greer of SC, please see my case details below. Any got interview letters?

Received my " Scheduled for standard interview " email on Oct. 27, still have not received my IL by today. Is this normal?

Interview letter is sent by NBC or local office? Thanks!

Status changed

Got 2 txt messages this morning.....Status changed to "Testing and Interview"
for both me and my wife.

Thanks,
Speedy

Status Update: Received Interview Letter!

Hi All,
Here is our updated timeline. Received the interview letter on Nov 02, 2009.

Thanks

Got 2 txt messages this morning.....Status changed to "Testing and Interview"
for both me and my wife.

Thanks,
Speedy

Congrats! Your case moved just like your name: speed!

I haven't heard anything for my case after FP and my spouse needs to have 2nd FP done on 11/17.

Congrats! Your case moved just like your name: speed!

I haven't heard anything for my case after FP and my spouse needs to have 2nd FP done on 11/17.

I guess I will be fine as long as the case won't hit a tree or a bump at that speed :D. Jokes apart, there is still long way to go for me. I anyways will most probably get a "decision cannot be made at this time", since my interview would most probably be well before my 5yr anniversary.

In the end it all evens out for most of us. Be patient and you should be getting your status updated pretty soon.

Cheers,
Speedy