Senate Judiciary Committe Meeting?

Still some ways to go

Folks,
Let us not rest on laurels yet.
This still has several steps to make: It has to go to the US house of rep Judiciary committee, then get voted by both the house and the senate.
They will mainly be voting on the budget reconciliation issue.

We need to keep up our efforts. We should continue to contact the congressmen and senators. Keep them informed about these issues.

It did PASS this phase I !

Yep, that is confirmed as well.
Now we just need to calm down, put a plan together and continue our fight calling Senators.
I have contacted my connection within the house of representatives to see if we can track timeline to when a bill will be available at uscongress.org.

When that happens, we initiate the campaign again, calling senators, writing to media, etc. The key is finding ways to justify how this EB visa number increase makes business sense. Obviously our pledge counts only 5-10% on the ultimate decision. The employer lobby such as the US Chamber of Commerce and Compete America are the big power and hope behind our back !

optimistguy said:
I got it clarified from Eric Thomas, author of that news piece. Here's his reply:

Eric Thomas <ethomas@fratelli.com> to me
More options 4:56 pm (1 minute ago)

According to the Judiciary Committee, the Chairman's proposal (with EB
recapture of 90,000 visas and not counting spouses and minor children)
passed WITH the Feinstein amendment that will cut the recapture of
H1-B's from 60,000 per year to 30,000 per year AND add a $750 fee on all
L visas, by a vote of 13-3.

- Hide quoted text -
Dear Sir,

First of thank you somuch for the priceless services of Compete America. I was looking at your news about the house judiciary committee meeting today, and would like to clarify something from that report please.

http://www.competeamerica.org/news/alliance_pr/20051020_visashort.html

All news cast about this meeting was mentioning only about the recapturing of the H1B visas. None of the news says 90,000 EB visas were also recaptured and the counting system of EB visas also is changed. I just wanted to double check if the committe approved this proposal in whole and the EB visa relief provisions are included. Lot of us are anctiously waiting for the confirmation. Appreciate if you could provide an update.

Thank you once again for your time and the tremendous job of putting up these proposal. We are indebted to you.

Kind Regards,

Looks like it passed. Lets hope it will become law soon.. Thanks for everybody who called and prayed. Great achievement ppl... Relax now!!

call me paranoid...

This is a very good news. Infact I find it too good to be true. I am getting too paranoid about this immigration process.

So here is my questions:

- What are the chances of this proposal being convert into law?
- In what form you guys think it would be? I doubt if all the options will be approved.
- How long it will take that law to come into effect ?
- How long it will take that law to impact visa cut off dates ?

Thanks n Regds

optimistguy said:
I got it clarified from Eric Thomas, author of that news piece. Here's his reply:

Eric Thomas <ethomas@fratelli.com> to me
More options 4:56 pm (1 minute ago)

According to the Judiciary Committee, the Chairman's proposal (with EB
recapture of 90,000 visas and not counting spouses and minor children)
passed WITH the Feinstein amendment that will cut the recapture of
H1-B's from 60,000 per year to 30,000 per year AND add a $750 fee on all
L visas, by a vote of 13-3.

- Hide quoted text -
Dear Sir,

First of thank you somuch for the priceless services of Compete America. I was looking at your news about the house judiciary committee meeting today, and would like to clarify something from that report please.

All news cast about this meeting was mentioning only about the recapturing of the H1B visas. None of the news says 90,000 EB visas were also recaptured and the counting system of EB visas also is changed. I just wanted to double check if the committe approved this proposal in whole and the EB visa relief provisions are included. Lot of us are anctiously waiting for the confirmation. Appreciate if you could provide an update.

Thank you once again for your time and the tremendous job of putting up these proposal. We are indebted to you.

Kind Regards,

Looks like it passed. Lets hope it will become law soon.. Thanks for everybody who called and prayed. Great achievement ppl... Relax now!!

I guess nothing happened to allowing AP+EAD with/approved I140. I didn't find it mentioned anywhere. Anyone?

does the proposal also inclide allowing to file for I485

did the proposal to allow "an individual for whom an I-140 immigrant visa petition with supplemental $500 fee is filed may file an adjustment of status application even if a visa number is not immediately available." was also passed. It would be really sad if this was not included. Can anybody please shed some light on this,

Listed below:

atyagi73 said:
This is a very good news. Infact I find it too good to be
true. I am getting too paranoid about this immigration process.

So here is my questions:

- What are the chances of this proposal being convert into law?
Let's call this phase 1 of 3, it passed.
Phase 2 of 3 is the House of Representatives. Then the last one is the US Congress. If it passes two more phases, the President would sign this into law.

- In what form you guys think it would be? I doubt if all the options will be approved.
This is what I *think*:
If it is passed the part that dependents are exempt from the EB visa numbers, in my view that is huge improvement in the cut-off dates. Based on the feedback from my connection it seems that idea is facing moderate resistance.
- How long it will take that law to come into effect ?
This varies. Our hope is that this budget bill is all about saving money. When the word "money" is mentioned, Americans like that idea.

- How long it will take that law to impact visa cut off dates ?
Final timeline is unknown to me at this point. Since it is a "relief" provision, who knows if that could be expedited or not ? Not sure.

Thanks n Regds

NNReddy said:
If the 90,000 visas are recaptured and spouses are eliminated from the quota,
EB 2 will definitely be current and EB3 will be moved to Jan 2003. The situations will improve considerably

Where are these numbers coming from? Is there any educuated report on this issue or are you just pulling these numbers from where the sun doesn't shine :D

compare with proposal

Here is the Budget Reconciliation and Immigration proposal the Senate Judiciary Committe was looking at compared with the news of what was agreed. (as I understand it)

o Recapture of 300,000 unused H-1B numbers
o would "recapture" H-1B visa numbers that were available by statute but unused in previous years, and make them available again at a rate of up to 30,000 per year.

o Recpature of 90,000 unused EB immigrant visa numbers
oThe measure would "recapture" employment-based (green card) immigrant visa numbers that were available by statute but unused in previous years due to processing backlogs, and make them available again at a rate of up to 90,000 per year;

o Exempting spouses and minor children of EB principal aliens from the annual EB quota limit
o Provide that only employment-based immigrants, and not their spouses and children, would count toward the annual limit on employment-based immigration

o Permit filing of I-485 even during the visa number retrogression.
(any body know what happened to this one?)

From talking to my connection today hr said they did not recall any report regarding EAD/AP upon I-140 filing... sorry. Not sure if this is hot news though. However, if the other relief to increase visa number passes and get implemented fairly quick, I think we will be all OK. Good luck.

GCin-waitng said:
Here is the Budget Reconciliation and Immigration proposal the Senate Judiciary Committe was looking at compared with the news of what was agreed. (as I understand it)

o Recapture of 300,000 unused H-1B numbers
o would "recapture" H-1B visa numbers that were available by statute but unused in previous years, and make them available again at a rate of up to 30,000 per year.

o Recpature of 90,000 unused EB immigrant visa numbers
oThe measure would "recapture" employment-based (green card) immigrant visa numbers that were available by statute but unused in previous years due to processing backlogs, and make them available again at a rate of up to 90,000 per year;

o Exempting spouses and minor children of EB principal aliens from the annual EB quota limit
o Provide that only employment-based immigrants, and not their spouses and children, would count toward the annual limit on employment-based immigration

o Permit filing of I-485 even during the visa number retrogression.
(any body know what happened to this one?)

StillAlive said:
Where are these VISA number available, couple of website said they already used this pool and only 6000 left for FY2006.
Those recaptured visa numbers were for the years before AC21 was passed (2001?). Nothing has been done to recapture unused EB numbers for 2002-2004, except I think the 50,000 Schedule A recapturing.

This is my first thread...

I am from Colombia and I have read this section of the forum regarding EB3 Visa Retrogression.

Regarding the Senate Judiciary decision, I am happy for the first step, now we have to wait for the next two steps (House of Rep. and Senate approval). :)

PD: December 2003
45 Days Letter Received August. 17
Regional Center: Atlanta
State Level: Florida
EB3: Other Countries

Pd 2001

My PD is 2001. If the law is made how long will it take for dates to be current ? Also we need to take into acct the 375 pending 245(i).

Welcome dmbronner !
You might want to help us in our request. Stay tuned to get Senators phone#, etc and continue our fight. Thanks !

dmbronner said:
I am from Colombia and I have read this section of the forum regarding EB3 Visa Retrogression.

Regarding the Senate Judiciary decision, I am happy for the first step, now we have to wait for the next two steps (House of Rep. and Senate approval). :)

Guys,

i guess 90000 will be split between EB1, EB2 and EB3. Then applies 7% country quota. If my math is correct that will leave 2100 for EB3 India which will be again split in 4 processing centers. By this way PD can come upto 2001. still long wait for other PDs. Am I going crazy here?

No I must have missed something. :confused:

mydearcard said:
Guys,

i guess 90000 will be split between EB1, EB2 and EB3. Then applies 7% country quota. If my math is correct that will leave 2100 for EB3 India which will be again split in 4 processing centers. By this way PD can come upto 2001. still long wait for other PDs. Am I going crazy here?

No I must have missed something. :confused:

Consider spouses and kids who will not take visa numbers, the useful visa number will be actually doubled. :)

ITS PASSED GUYS !!!!!! WONDERFUL NEWS

See http://www.immigration-law.com/

10/20/2005: Senate Judiciary Reportedly Approved Immigration Proposals

We have already reported that Senate Judiciary Committee approved H-1B cap increase by 30,000 per year. However, other sources reported that the Committee had approved at today's hearing the following immigration bills:
Included in the measure approved today are the following specifics:
"Recapture" employment-based (green card) immigrant visa numbers that were available by statute but unused in previous years due to processing backlogs, and make them available again at a rate of up to 90,000 per year;
Only employment-based immigrants, and not their spouses and children, would count toward the annual limit on employment-based immigration; and
"Recapture" H-1B visa numbers that were available by statute but unused in previous years, and make them available again at a rate of up to 30,000 per year.
For the release of the official reports, please stay tuned to this web site.
10/20/2005: Senate Judiciary Committee Agreed to Increase 30,000 for H-1B Cap

The Senate Judiciary Committee is currently hearing the Budget Reconciliation and Immigration Proposal. The report indicates that the committee approved a Feinstein amendment allowing 30,000 more H-1B visas per year, and increasing fees by $500. Feinstein's amendment would also increase fees on another kind of visa, the L-1, which companies use to transfer workers they already employ in foreign countries to the United States. The fee on L-1 visas, now $685, would rise by $750. Behind the success in passage of this bill was a strong support by the high tech industry. Read on.
For the EB immigrant visa number recapture and other issues, please stay tuned.

dmbronner said:

I am convinced that this will be passed in both house and senate. Does any one know when do they approve federal budget package .. Is it before end of the year...

without I485 this bill is of not much use

It is a positive step but without ability to file i485 we cannot switch jobs for the next god knows how many years. In the meanwhile layoffs etc will render the whole process void if i485 is not filed. Seems like not many people are bothered about i485 issue.

aix2005 said:
I am convinced that this will be passed in both house and senate. Does any one know when do they approve federal budget package .. Is it before end of the year...

IIRC 28th Oct is the deadline for Budget reconcilation process for 2006.
I read it on some website. Sorry no link.

Country Limit - Does this say anything about 7% or 10,000

This does not remove the country limit. The current country limit rule says that it is 7% or 12,000 (not sure about this number but it is anywhere between 10,000 and 12,000) visas per year (whichever is lower).

Unless the country limit is removed - this bill will be of no use for India/China.

Am I missing something?