Senate Judiciary Committe Meeting?

iwantthatgreen1 said:
This does not remove the country limit. The current country limit rule says that it is 7% or 12,000 (not sure about this number but it is anywhere between 10,000 and 12,000) visas per year (whichever is lower).

Unless the country limit is removed - this bill will be of no use for India/China.
Not true. With 90,000 extra the 7% will be based on a bigger total, and with spouse and children not being counted that effectively doubles the visas available.

Jackolantern said:
Not true. With 90,000 extra the 7% will be based on a bigger total, and with spouse and children not being counted that effectively doubles the visas available.

attonrney oh does not say a thing about allowing i485\i140 even if numbers are unavailable? this was part of the bill. check fdbl.com for mention of that provision. oh does not mention anything in this regard.
I think calls to senators need to focus on this issue.

This bill is just a bandaid for our problems for a while. After an year we will face the same problem. I agree as long as the country quota is not removed, it is not much use. It is better than nothing.

Retrogression

Before Accepting Bill:

140000 people are getting green cards including spouses and children

After Acceting Bill (On Average 2 Persons per a petition --Primary and spouse)

(140000 +90000) *2 > 460000 people will be getting Green card per year.

For India

There will be 4604 Visa Numbers per category per year will be available as per new calculation which does not include spouses and children.

It is lot better than before but based on this it does not seem like retrogression will end...

Only if we get some thing like removal of country limit then every one will benefit...
My Guess EB2 and EB1 will be out of retrogression... But all the problems will be with our EB3 numbers...

mydearcard said:
Guys,

i guess 90000 will be split between EB1, EB2 and EB3. Then applies 7% country quota. If my math is correct that will leave 2100 for EB3 India which will be again split in 4 processing centers. By this way PD can come upto 2001. still long wait for other PDs. Am I going crazy here?

No I must have missed something. :confused:

Really, please tell me: How are you calculating the estimates? Are there reports on how many people are in the queue (on a per country basis), and also what the priority dates are.

NO I made a wild guess. Even USCIS also do not know how big is the queue. Please all OLD ghost labors are also appearing from sky. Country limit should be removed but why will they do it for India or China.
My PD is Jan03. I do not know how many years it will be before I get GC.

anil007dc said:
Before Accepting Bill:

140000 people are getting green cards including spouses and children

After Acceting Bill (On Average 2 Persons per a petition --Primary and spouse)

(140000 +90000) *2 > 460000 people will be getting Green card per year.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but I need some clarification. What I read is 90000 is max number per year carried over from the previous years' unused visa# and 140000+90000 is not actually annual quota. It is potential max quota in case there are a lot of visa# left from past years.
How many visa numbers are currently available from the past years ? Anybody has that info ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan'06 Visa Bulletin

Deadline for Senate Budget Committee's reconciliation package, slated to be put together October 26.

http://www.ombwatch.org/article/blogs/entry/1194/2

It appears the House Budget Committee has moved the deadline for budget reconciliation back to October 28th

http://www.ombwatch.org/article/blogs/entry/1163/2

I think this whole Employment based visa numbers relief (90000) should become law just before thanks giving. Assuming president signs it in November. It may reflect in JAN'06 VISA BULLETIN

sahina said:
So when is this going to be a law and the uncaptured visas will be available?

It may take longer

It will longer take than mentioned in above post.
This has to be voted on in the house and senate.
It may happen as stated above, but I think it will take longer than that (about 3 months).

Common guys....nobody is answering my question

When will my PD become current...if this is a good news.

PD May 2003
EB3

lets ask infostarved to the calcs again

danp,

Good to see you coming out of that frenzied depression mode little bit....

Just hang in there buddy, patience is a great virtue. May be infostarved will do the number crunch and show us the latest position. just wait few more days now that we have some good news.

danp said:
Common guys....nobody is answering my question

When will my PD become current...if this is a good news.

PD May 2003
EB3

And I am praying. that the priority dates doesn't move a bit until this becomes a law. As there will be 2 benifits.

1) Schedule A worker will continue using the 50,000 Visas numbers
2) Visa numbers will not be used by the dependents. As they won't get an opportunity to Asjust their status.

So it is good people get the oportunity to do Asdjustemnt of status only after this bill is passed

I agree.

neha_wal said:
And I am praying. that the priority dates doesn't move a bit until this becomes a law. As there will be 2 benifits.

1) Schedule A worker will continue using the 50,000 Visas numbers
2) Visa numbers will not be used by the dependents. As they won't get an opportunity to Asjust their status.

So it is good people get the oportunity to do Asdjustemnt of status only after this bill is passed

Concurrent filing

This question is already asked several times on this thread but as no one has provided any answer for it, I am just repeating it as it appeared to be a vital one...

Does anyone know if condition to allow concurrent filing for I-140/485 was passed or even included?

What is this now

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_2712.html

D. EMPLOYMENT PREFERENCE VISA AVAILABILTIY

The backlog reduction efforts of both Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Department of Labor continue to result in very heavy demand for Employment-based numbers. The amount of cases currently being processed is sufficient to use all available numbers in many categories. The level of demand in the Employment categories is expected to be far in excess of the annual limits, and once established, cut-off date movements are likely to be slow.

Hi IndianGC and ALL,

this proposal also included to allow filing I-485 even the visa numbers are not available ( or current) as per AILA report on http://www.immigration-law.com/

this is another good news tho.

Lets pray for this proposal should become a law soon.

gcq_stm said:
Hi IndianGC and ALL,

this proposal also included to allow filing I-485 even the visa numbers are not available ( or current) as per AILA report on http://www.immigration-law.com/

this is another good news tho.

Lets pray for this proposal should become a law soon.

gcq stm:

Where did you read that the the I-485 filing clause was also okayed in the proposed bill ? Can you please post it here. If anyone has subscription to AILA can you please post more details.

Thanks.

this info is in AILA

According to the AILA, AILA has passed the following immigration proposals yesterday:
Impose a new $500 fee on immigrant visa petitions for the EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3 categories.
Recapture unused employment-based visas from prior years for immediate allocation of up to 90,000/year. (Estimates indicate there are only 90,000-100,000 unused numbers to be tapped.)
Exempt spouses and minor children from counting against the annual cap on employment-based immigrant visas. (Estimates are that this would lead to an annual increase of 80,000-90,000 employment-based immigrant visas.)
Allow individuals to apply for adjustment of status before an immigrant visa is deemed currently available. (Of course, approval could not occur until the visa number is available.)
suppose if 140 is approved then what will happen, we cant apply for 485 if our Pd is not current?
Recapture approximately 300,000 unused H-1B numbers dating back to FY 1991. As a result of Senator Feinstein's amendment, 30,000 rather than 60,000 would be available annually. (In other words, effectively raising the cap from 65,000 to 95,000 for at least 10 years.)
Impose a new fee on the recaptured H-1B visas so that the fees on the original 65,000 H-1B allotment remain unchanged but the additional 30,000 available annually carry an additional $500 fee.
Impose a new $750 fee on L-1 visas. (This was part of Senator Feinstein's amendment and was necessary to offset the reduction in revenue resulting from the limitation on recaptured H-1B numbers from 60,000 to 30,000.)
We agree with the AILA that these are not final bills and we have a long way to go to make these proposals into a reality. Businesses, academic institutions, and other stakeholders should keep working with their Congressional representatives to support the Senate Judiciary bill.

I had posted the same question just today in another thread as highlighted by "zamq"
"suppose if 140 is approved then what will happen, we cant apply for 485 if our Pd is not current?" this will be the case for ppl who recently got their labor approved and filed for 140 thinking that 485 numbers arenot available so atleast get 140 done..