Selective Service

ronin1976

Registered Users (C)
My interview is on November 6th. I mailed the Selective Service Status Form last week. It says on the form that it might take from 4 tp 6 weeks for them to reply. What if I didn't have the form at the time of the interview? What would happen?Is the stamp form my two year Gree Card enough ( 3 months before my 28th birthday. I was on F1 visa before getting my Green Card. Thank you very much!

My interview is on November 6th. I mailed the Selective Service Status Form last week. It says on the form that it might take from 4 tp 6 weeks for them to reply. What if I didn't have the form at the time of the interview? What would happen?Is the stamp form my two year Gree Card enough ( 3 months before my 28th birthday. I was on F1 visa before getting my Green Card. Thank you very much!

You should be fine. Mention to the IO that you got your GC after you turned 26 and that you were on F1 before that. If need be, provide a copy of your F1. I don't think this will be an issue at all.

Selective Service question: yes or no

If you were not required to register with SS (due to being a non-immigrant at the time), but were registered anyway before your 26th birthday and thus have a Selective Service number, do you select yes or no to Question 33? It seems like if you select No to Q33, you cannot include the Date registered and SS number?

If you were not required to register with SS (due to being a non-immigrant at the time), but were registered anyway before your 26th birthday and thus have a Selective Service number, do you select yes or no to Question 33? It seems like if you select No to Q33, you cannot include the Date registered and SS number?

You would answer the question being asked. The question is asking whether you were a male who lived in the US in any status other than a non-immigrant between 18 and 26. The question does not ask about did you register or not...

Thanks for your response. Let me ask this then: does an I-130 filed on your behalf put you in a different category other than an non-immigrant? Does that automatically make you someone who is adjusting his status to an immigrant?

It is an interesting question.

Does filing a I-130 (and perhaps I-485) on behalf of some one changes the status of the beneficiary from non-immigrant to immigrant.

The time between I-130 (or I485) being filed to the application being adjudication is "status pending" and is a grey area as far as I know.

If some one has good answer that would be really helpful.

vik_b
I am not a lawyer. Please treat my comments appropriately.

PD 7/29/08
FP 8/23/08
IL 10/15/08
I and Oath 11/20/08

Does filing a I-130 (and perhaps I-485) on behalf of some one changes the status of the beneficiary from non-immigrant to immigrant.

The mere filing (or approval) of an I-130 does not change one's status. Certainly it does not change one's status to "immigrant" - only GC approval does that.

The time between I-130 (or I485) being filed to the application being adjudication is "status pending" and is a grey area as far as I know. If some one has good answer that would be really helpful.

The only grey area would be a time after the expiration of non-immigrant status, with a pending I-485, prior to the 26th birthday. I think that *might* require SS registration.