Selective Service

Enkur

Registered Users (C)
I have my Citizenship interview on Friday 8/15 and one of the documents that I need to bring is Selective Service registration.
I came to US on B-2 visa and over-stayed. During that time I registered for the Selective Service.

Now I am collecting all my documents and I dont have the card anymore. I had seen the card just a few weeks ago and now its misplaced.
I called the selective service number and the automated system told me my registration number and the date of registration 03/25/1991. I couldnt speak to anyone to see if they can fax me some sort of document (office is closed...I will try again tomorrow).

In absence of proof of registration... what do you all suggest.

This forum has been of great help and I am totally pissed that I knew about this document .. and now I dont have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Click on the link http://sss.gov/

Click on "check a registration" put in your info, submit you will see your info. Below you will see this

To obtain written proof of Selective Service registration CLICK HERE and follow the instructions on our "Registration Information" page.

After filling out then you will receive your card within 2 wks.

let me know if you have any question

Well I guess its a bit late to obtain written proof on the day of the interview, unless of course you happen to find the old card...

Your best bet is to simply go with the flow at the interview. Chances are, you may not have to show proof if you've already given your registration number. The IO could always call SSA for verification. Worst case, you come away with an RFE and are delayed a while.

Thanks for the information. I printed out the screen that shows my record on the Selective Service website and hopefully the IO would accept that if it came up during the interview

Well I guess its a bit late to obtain written proof on the day of the interview, unless of course you happen to find the old card...

Your best bet is to simply go with the flow at the interview. Chances are, you may not have to show proof if you've already given your registration number. The IO could always call SSA for verification. Worst case, you come away with an RFE and are delayed a while.

for someone who need proof of NOT needing to register with ss/exempt, can one get a letter stating such the same way, through the same site??

Thanks a lot.

Click on the link http://sss.gov/

Click on "check a registration" put in your info, submit you will see your info. Below you will see this

To obtain written proof of Selective Service registration CLICK HERE and follow the instructions on our "Registration Information" page.

After filling out then you will receive your card within 2 wks.

let me know if you have any question

for someone who need proof of NOT needing to register with ss/exempt, can one get a letter stating such the same way, through the same site??

Thanks a lot.

I assume so, although evidence of your immigration status on file during the eligible years should suffice.

I just had my citizenship interview a week ago. The officer asked me for the Selective Service Card. But the twist is he already had access to the record to the Selective Service’s Internal Website and he pulled my selective service’s file before asking me for the card. I think he just wanted to see if i brought it. In case the officer does not accept your printed copy tell him to look it up on Selective Service’s intranet.

Thanks I will keep this in mind.

I just had my citizenship interview a week ago. The officer asked me for the Selective Service Card. But the twist is he already had access to the record to the Selective Service’s Internal Website and he pulled my selective service’s file before asking me for the card. I think he just wanted to see if i brought it. In case the officer does not accept your printed copy tell him to look it up on Selective Service’s intranet.