Selective Service??

kkhanna

Registered Users (C)
Hey Guys,

Needed your opinion on this matter. I had no idea I had to sign up for Slective Service and didn't even know what it was. When I submitted my Citizenship Application it mentioned about Selective Service, but I can't register now since I am above the age of 26.

What should I do now. It was an honest mistake as I didn't know eneything about it?? Will this hurt my chances??

Thanks

I believe I was 20 when I got my Green Card. I ahd no idea I had to sign up for Selective Service or even what Selective Service was??

Someone pls help me out here

That's weird. When I got my green card at 23 (after a 2.5 year ordeal), I got a Selective Service reminder within 2 months. Funny how the government remembers laws and rules when they are benefical to the government.

K

I came to US for college in 1989 (F1). I have been working after college (H1B). I got my green card in 2000 when I was 28 years old. Do I need anything to show that I don't need to register for Selective Service when I go for my interview in Dec?

netuser00 said:
I came to US for college in 1989 (F1). I have been working after college (H1B). I got my green card in 2000 when I was 28 years old. Do I need anything to show that I don't need to register for Selective Service when I go for my interview in Dec?

no. however, you can request from sss to have a status letter before your interview in Dec.

Same boat

Hey netuser00-

I am in a similar boat at the same DO ( Boston). My interview is next Thursday. I was 26 years and 7 months old when I adjusted status (marriage based). I was 26 years and 2 months old when I filed. So, I have never been eligible for Selective serivices. Per the advice of my lawyer, here is what I did. I got all of my old documents (J-1, F1, I-20s, EAD, H1, H1, H1 - I had 3 H1s) and filled out the information request form and sent it into selective services yesterday. I don't think I am going to get a letter in the mail before next Thursday. However, I also made a copy of all the documents and have all the originals that I am going to take to the interview. I suspect it will be up to the adjudicator. I can clearly prove that I lived here as a legal *non-immigrant* between 18-26. But the atty says that it is possible that the adjudicator could delay decision if they really want to be tough about it (though unlikely). Either way, I will let you know next thursday how it goes. I suspect there won't be an issue, but it may be safe to get the status from SSS anyway...

-- Gaude

Hi gaude88,

Thanks for the info. I don't think I have all those immigration papers. I thought once I got my green card, I didn't need those papers. I have the old passports, I hope. I will use the visa stamps, and hopeful that would be fine to get the status letter.

Do you mind to list your dates for the citizenship application process here? For me and for other people in Boston area:)

Dates

My Priority Date was July 15, 2005
I got my Fingerprint letter in August sometime.
Fingerprint date - Sep 15, 2005
Fingerprints results sent back on the same day
Status changed online - Sep 23, 2005
Got interview letter - Sep 26, 2005
Interview date - Nov 3, 2005 at 1:30 p.m.

Hope that helps
-- Gaude

Hi,
If you are already more than 26 years old by the time you got your GC, then they won't ask about Selective Service. For me the officer just confirmed me what was my age when i became GC, i told him 28 then he said it is fine. So Netuser00, you don't need to do anything, just go for the interview and if they ask just tell them your age and based on the requirement i am not asked to register for Selective service. So no need to worry.

Hope this helps,
S pamidi

URGENT QUESTION: Selective Service & Status Information Letter

Hi All,

My husband is scheduled for his naturalization interview on 7/13.
He was a landed immigrant at age 20
He turns 31 in October

He didn't know about the Selective Service until he started his naturalization paperwork. By that time he was past age 26.

We sent the request for an SIL back in May and still have not heard from SS. He has tried numerous times to call their (847)688-6888 number to no avail. We were hoping to contact them to see if it would be possilbe to get the letter faxed/expidited.

What if the letter still has not arrived by the time he is interviewed?
What are our options?
How will this affect his naturalization?

Help?

My husband came to US, when he was 29. We got GC in 2004. Do we need to supply SSA with N-400?

Hi All,

My husband is scheduled for his naturalization interview on 7/13.
He was a landed immigrant at age 20
He turns 31 in October

He didn't know about the Selective Service until he started his naturalization paperwork. By that time he was past age 26.

We sent the request for an SIL back in May and still have not heard from SS. He has tried numerous times to call their (847)688-6888 number to no avail. We were hoping to contact them to see if it would be possilbe to get the letter faxed/expidited.

What if the letter still has not arrived by the time he is interviewed?
What are our options?
How will this affect his naturalization?

Help?

Bring proof that you submitted the request for the letter, if you have that. If you don't then he should be prepared to discuss that he was not aware of the SSS registration requirements. Worst case scenario, he can reapply again once he turns 31 since after that age, it doesn't matter that much that he did not register.

My husband came to US, when he was 29. We got GC in 2004. Do we need to supply SSA with N-400?

Since your husband was past the age of eligibility to register with SS when he first arrived in the U.S., it's not necessary to bring a SS status letter to the interview. However, it can't hurt to bring it, in case the IO who is interviewing him is a total idiot.

I was in a somewhat similar situation: I came to the U.S. as a graduate student on an F-1 visa, then had several H1Bs and then got a green card when I was over 28.
Some time before submitting an N-400 application I sent a letter to the Selective Service with very detailed documents documenting my non-immigrant status from the time of initial entry to my 28th birthday. After about a month and a half I got a letter from them confirming that I was not required to register since I had maintained a valid non-immigrant status prior to my 28th birthday. I attached that letter to my N-400 application and the IO did not ask any questions regarding it during the interview.

I was in a somewhat similar situation: I came to the U.S. as a graduate student on an F-1 visa, then had several H1Bs and then got a green card when I was over 28.
Some time before submitting an N-400 application I sent a letter to the Selective Service with very detailed documents documenting my non-immigrant status from the time of initial entry to my 28th birthday. After about a month and a half I got a letter from them confirming that I was not required to register since I had maintained a valid non-immigrant status prior to my 28th birthday. I attached that letter to my N-400 application and the IO did not ask any questions regarding it during the interview.

I had sent my letter to SSS approximately 40 days ago. From your experience - I think I need to wait for another week or two before calling them. Thanks.

I had sent my letter to SSS approximately 40 days ago. From your experience - I think I need to wait for another week or two before calling them. Thanks.

Yes, but remember that my N-400 application was submitted quite a while ago, Dec 2006. I think that I sent a letter to Selective Service around late July 2006 and got their reply in mid-September 2006. However, things might have changed since then in how fast the Selective Service people work (hopefully for the better, but one never knows ...)