Selective Service System

Jetleee

Hello,

i am an international student in Texas on a F1-VISA. I do not know why, but i have just received a letter from the Selective Service System with a registration acknowledgment card in it. The letter states that i have registered last month and they also sent me a selective service number.

However, i am absolutely sure that i did not registered there, but the letter contains information like my correct birthday, gender and address inclusive apartment number.

Has this happened to anyone in this forum before? Maybe one of you has an answer what has happened. I will call SSS tomorrow but maybe somebody knows how i could get registered without me knowing.

Best regards, Jiao

Hii

Hi! Jetlee

Same thing happened to me last week could you suggest what did you do.

It will be great help

Thanks in advance

By law, every Male, 17 to 25 years old in the US are required to do that. regardless of the immigration situation. For example, I was out of status (overstay tourist visa) when I send the application for the Selective system service "SSS", and they send me back a card with an identification number. In the space for the social security number was empty.

School and colleges do that for their students. so I think that;s why you guys had that resgistration. But is good. It is the law.

By law, every Male, 17 to 25 years old in the US are required to do that. regardless of the immigration situation.

This is incorrect. Aliens maintaining valid non-immigrant status are exempt from this requirement.

For example, I was out of status (overstay tourist visa) when I send the application for the Selective system service "SSS", and they send me back a card with an identification number.

Exactly. You were no longer in valid non-immigrant status, and therefore needed to register.

School and colleges do that for their students. so I think that;s why you guys had that resgistration. But is good. It is the law.

It can't hurt to register, but if you object I'd send SSS a copy of your I-94 and I-20 and say that you were registered in error.

This is incorrect. Aliens maintaining valid non-immigrant status are exempt from this requirement.

Exactly. You were no longer in valid non-immigrant status, and therefore needed to register.

It can't hurt to register, but if you object I'd send SSS a copy of your I-94 and I-20 and say that you were registered in error.

You made an important point! thanks for the correction!:cool: