Selective Service Status letter question

SEA400

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I entered US for the first time after reaching age 26 (on H1B visa) hence didn't have to register with SS.
Got GC based on employment and applyed for citizenship based on the 5 year rule.

I have sent a letter to SS to get the Status Information Letter as mentioned on earlier posts and at SS.gov.

But, it could take upto 90 days to get the letter and I have my interview in less than a month.

If I don't receive my SS Status Information Letter before the interview, what is the best course of action :

1. Go to interview without the SS Status letter but with a copy of Request that was send to SS along with all the supporting documents (Passport with entry stamp into US).

2. Postpone interview, hoping to receive SS Status Info before that.

3. Incidently, I am currently in Delayed Entry Program of US Navy. Not enlisted but scheduled to get enlisted in Naval Reserve. Would a letter from Navy Recruiter help in the absence of SS Letter.

Hi,

I entered US for the first time after reaching age 26 (on H1B visa) hence didn't have to register with SS.
Got GC based on employment and applyed for citizenship based on the 5 year rule.

I have sent a letter to SS to get the Status Information Letter as mentioned on earlier posts and at SS.gov.

But, it could take upto 90 days to get the letter and I have my interview in less than a month.

If I don't receive my SS Status Information Letter before the interview, what is the best course of action :

1. Go to interview without the SS Status letter but with a copy of Request that was send to SS along with all the supporting documents (Passport with entry stamp into US).

2. Postpone interview, hoping to receive SS Status Info before that.

3. Incidently, I am currently in Delayed Entry Program of US Navy. Not enlisted but scheduled to get enlisted in Naval Reserve. Would a letter from Navy Recruiter help in the absence of SS Letter.

You don't need a letter since you entered on h1 visa for the first time. Plus you are now over 26.

Thanks Jack and USGC,

I know I was not required to register with SS since I was on non-immigrant visa and also over 26 years.

But the interview letter says bring proof of Selective Service Registration. In this forum I have also read that, those who were exempt from registration (due to immiration status, incarciration, etc) should carry the Status information letter. Isn't it so?

http://www.sss.gov/instructions.html

SEA400,

I have been asked to provide SS registration evidence as well - even though I did not have to register based on the requirements. I am planning to pursue 'option 1' that you posted - go to the interview without the SS Status letter along with all the supporting documents.

I would definitely not recommend postponing the interview for this - my two cents.

Evidence of your status (ie H1 visa) on file is enough for an IO to conclude that you weren't required to register at the time. An IO may still ask for the selective service letter in such cases, but not having it at interview would not be a show stopper nor would it cause delays. Just because the IO asks doesn't mean it required for successful processing of your case.