Seeking for helps for my application

kwok007

Registered Users (C)
Hello All, I am new here.

I just applied for asylum in the US (I-589) and am waiting for processing. My question is: I ever applied for Canadian immigration over 2 years ago, but my case was never reviewed by their immigration officer so far. So anyone here know if it would affect my asylum case in the US? Since there is one question on I-589 asking if I have ever applied for some residence status in another country other than my home country.

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks in advance.

I just applied for asylum in the US (I-589) and am waiting for processing. My question is: I ever applied for Canadian immigration over 2 years ago, but my case was never reviewed by their immigration officer so far. So anyone here know if it would affect my asylum case in the US? Since there is one question on I-589 asking if I have ever applied for some residence status in another country other than my home country.

If you have received or are about to receive residence status in Canada, the U.S. will not give you asylum. Asylum is for people who have no safe place to stay.

Thanks thankful.

I am quite sure that my case is never started being processed by Canadian Consulate, since they keep changing the immigration act. So it seems I'm all right.

I just didn't realize that I need to escape my home country and apply for asylum instead of an immigration program.

Thanks anyway.

Thanks thankful.

I am quite sure that my case is never started being processed by Canadian Consulate, since they keep changing the immigration act. So it seems I'm all right.

I just didn't realize that I need to escape my home country and apply for asylum instead of an immigration program.

Thanks anyway.

you should be fine then. good luck.

Thanks again. Another concern.
If I translated all non-English documents by myself, will my application package be rejected and returned back by BCIS or Asylum office? What if I did not sign on the translation?
I hope they won't reject to file my application just because a small part of translated documents.
Do you have any idea about that? Or just right before the interview my package will be reviewed in detail? Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again. Another concern.
If I translated all non-English documents by myself, will my application package be rejected and returned back by BCIS or Asylum office? What if I did not sign on the translation?
I hope they won't reject to file my application just because a small part of translated documents.
Do you have any idea about that? Or just right before the interview my package will be reviewed in detail? Thanks again.

Here you go, straight from the I-589 instructions: Translation of documents not in English is required. Any document in a language other than English must be accompanied byan adequate English translation that the translator has certified ascomplete and correct and by the translator's certification that he orshe is competent to translate into English the language used in thedocument.
I hope that you read the instructions before submitting your 589 :eek:

I know that there is some kind of aggrement betwen canada and US about it.
People use to apply in one of these 2 country and in case of denial try other one since they could pass border without inspection.
As far as I know your name will come out if you ever been applied or lived in canada and the reason was that terorist cells were using asylum in canada or US for asylum to stay. Some people were arrested in the canadian border trying to smuggle exposive to US for the purpose of terorost attack. I remember their plan was a bridge in san fransisco and another time was LAX or there was attack outside of CIA headquarter by pakistani asylee killing CIA employees and he fled the country to pakistan and later was arrested and brought back for trial.
Anyway, I would say that your name will come up since you have applied and question is specifically asking about just applying specially if you are from middle eastern countries.Belive it or not My freind who is GC holder was denied entry to canada for having DUI and he was shocked that how canadian official know about it so when it comes to immigration isssues these 2 country operate very closely.
You can google it and surely it will be find.
try this for start searching for info
http://www.how2immigrate.net/usanews/asylum-seekers.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I just checked this thread today. Actually I have completed the interview with the Asylum officer and am waiting for the result.

Luckily, no question on the translation. I prepared everything by myself, no lawyer, no translator. I don't have translator's certification, neither have I signed my name for the translated documents, but no problem at all.
And also no question on my previous Canadian immigration case, tho I mentioned it in my I-589.

Thanks guys for your helps!