• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

section 245....... what is it?

chimaintrouble

Registered Users (C)
Contemplating to do AOS and I was just curious to know what section 245 of the law imply, ( it is written somewhere on the I-485 form) I've tried to google it but I cant comprehend/interpret it. Anybody with a legal acumen can coment on this.
Regards.

Section 245 covers a very broad area of the INA dealing with AOS. Maybe you can narrow down to the specify subsection that is of interest to you.

Section 245 covers a very broad area of the INA dealing with AOS. Maybe you can narrow down to the specify subsection that is of interest to you.
unauthorized work/out of status/overstay with an f-1 visa or visitor's visa and all those kind of things which may bar you frm doing aos. how does it work?

unauthorized work/out of status/overstay with an f-1 visa or visitor's visa and all those kind of things which may bar you frm doing aos. how does it work?

Those overstaying are definitely not eligible to AOS except for the case of immediate relative petition. Unauthoeized employment is also the ground of AOS ineligibility except for certain period of illegal employment for employment based AOS.

So how does it work? how comes those people who marry USC get away with it even after having been out of status for decades?

To give you the brief overview: Section 245 of the INA, as others mention, covers Adjustment of Status. 245A says that one cannot adjust status if they have been out of status, illegally present or employed without authorization since their last entry to the US. Then, the INA proceeds to carve out three major exemptions:

245C (I may have this subsection wrong) says that an Immediate Relative (spouse, minor child or parent) of a US citizen is exempt from the restrictions in 245A, and their I-485 cannot be denied on this basis, no matter how long they have been out of status or illegally employed. Note that this is a non-discretionary clause; USCIS cannot selectively enforce it. No matter how long you have been employed or out of status, USCIS cannot deny your case.

245K is similar to 245C, except that it only applies to employment-based applicants, and the period of forgiveness is limited to 180 days. Again, it's non-discretionary relief, so USCIS cannot deny your I-485 if you've been out of status or illegally employed (like a gap between EADs) for less than 180 days.

Finally, 245I is similar to 245C, in that it allows illegal presence, illegal employment, etc. for an unlimited period. It applied to Family Based and Employment Based immigrants. Unlike 245C, I believe it also allows forgiveness for aliens who entered the US without Inspection. To get 245I relief, one filed an I-485A supplement and paid a $1000 fine. However, 245I had a "sunset" clause - in order to qualify for 245I relief, one needed to have a priority date of April 30th, 2001, and be physically present in the United States on December 22nd, 2000.

For this reason, there are almost no people left who qualify for 245I relief. For those of you filing an I-485 based on a DV win, note that you are not eligible for any of these forms of relief, so pay careful attention to remaining in legal status and not working without authorization.

I am also not an attorney, so please consult an attorney if you fear you may be in (or about to get in) a situation that makes you ineligible to adjust status.

Does being out of status (F-1) automatically mean being illigaly present?

If USCIS sends you a notice, then yes.

To give you the brief overview: Section 245 of the INA, as others mention, covers Adjustment of Status. 245A says that one cannot adjust status if they have been out of status, illegally present or employed without authorization since their last entry to the US. Then, the INA proceeds to carve out three major exemptions:

245C (I may have this subsection wrong) says that an Immediate Relative (spouse, minor child or parent) of a US citizen is exempt from the restrictions in 245A, and their I-485 cannot be denied on this basis, no matter how long they have been out of status or illegally employed. Note that this is a non-discretionary clause; USCIS cannot selectively enforce it. No matter how long you have been employed or out of status, USCIS cannot deny your case.

245K is similar to 245C, except that it only applies to employment-based applicants, and the period of forgiveness is limited to 180 days. Again, it's non-discretionary relief, so USCIS cannot deny your I-485 if you've been out of status or illegally employed (like a gap between EADs) for less than 180 days.

Finally, 245I is similar to 245C, in that it allows illegal presence, illegal employment, etc. for an unlimited period. It applied to Family Based and Employment Based immigrants. Unlike 245C, I believe it also allows forgiveness for aliens who entered the US without Inspection. To get 245I relief, one filed an I-485A supplement and paid a $1000 fine. However, 245I had a "sunset" clause - in order to qualify for 245I relief, one needed to have a priority date of April 30th, 2001, and be physically present in the United States on December 22nd, 2000.

For this reason, there are almost no people left who qualify for 245I relief. For those of you filing an I-485 based on a DV win, note that you are not eligible for any of these forms of relief, so pay careful attention to remaining in legal status and not working without authorization.

I am also not an attorney, so please consult an attorney if you fear you may be in (or about to get in) a situation that makes you ineligible to adjust status.

If USCIS sends you a notice, then yes.

Thanks for this indisputable clarification.
However so u mean if one is out of status and has never been send a notice to vacate they are legally present?
Section 245 is very clear as you have explained a bove are you implying the attorney will twist the facts or rather how will he argue successfully for somebody who has made those violations?
Did you mean for example somebody who has been working illegally for years but has not accumulated years of illegal presence if he/she can go out of the country and come back immediately his/her "sins" will be forgiven and qualifies to do AOS? (if he/she avoids working again illegally)

However so u mean if one is out of status and has never been send a notice to vacate they are legally present?

For an F/J alien, the I-94 is marked D/S so as I understand it, you are not illegally present until USCIS makes a formal finding that you are out of status. For other I-94s, you are illegally present when a) USCIS determines you are out of status, or b) the I-94 expires.

But really, the 3/10-year bars are sufficiently draconian that I suggest that anyone who even thinks they may be subject to them to spend $100 for a consultation with an attorney to be sure.

Section 245 is very clear as you have explained a bove are you implying the attorney will twist the facts or rather how will he argue successfully for somebody who has made those violations?

Attorneys don't twist facts, nor can they make black turn into white. There are limits to what even the best attorneys can do.

Did you mean for example somebody who has been working illegally for years but has not accumulated years of illegal presence if he/she can go out of the country and come back immediately his/her "sins" will be forgiven and qualifies to do AOS? (if he/she avoids working again illegally)

Generally, yes, but it's pretty hard to be out of status for "years" without accumulating illegal presence.

They don't have to sent you a notice. USCIS and DoS both give the adjudicating officer power to decide if you were out-of-status or not at his/her discretion. The burden of proof falls on the petitioner (you). In other words it's your job to prove that you have been in good status.

Also remember that these officers are well trained and unbelievably good at picking up on inconsistencies in your information.

Luck or what?

This happened 3 years a go when they did AOS and got their GCs. This guy was my classmate and he was on F1 visa and was working off-campus without permission. Wife used to be F1 too but had dropped out of school 2 years earlier. The guy was the principle winner of the lottery. After filling the 1-485 forms and receiving the receipts the wife enrolled back in school under alien pending status and surprisingly a new i-20 was printed for her ( I saw it). During the interview they were never asked anything to do with status or working, i remember they told me their interview took less than ten minutes.
To date I've never understood especially how they never either questioned or discovered/realized that this lady was out of status. Could it because she wasn't the principal applicant or was it sheer luck?

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened 3 years a go when they did AOS and got their GCs. This guy was my classmate and he was on F1 visa and was working off-campus without permission. Wife used to be F1 too but had dropped out of school 2 years earlier. The guy was the principle winner of the lottery. After filling the 1-485 forms and receiving the receipts the wife enrolled back in school under alien pending status and surprisingly a new i-20 was printed for her ( I saw it). During the interview they were never asked anything to do with status or working, i remember they told me their interview took less than ten minutes.
To date I've never understood especially how they never either questioned or discovered/realized that this lady was out of status. Could it because she wasn't the principal applicant or was it sheer luck?

A friend of mine was on f-1 visa, he won the lottery and got his greencard although he had been working off-campus without authorization for years. USCIS look up stuff like that if there's anything suspicious in the application.

Some people are born luck. I think sometimes it depends which I/O you will interview you. I guess this particular I/O was in a hurry and didn't care as long as their medicals were ok and didn't commit any major crime.