Second Reentry Permit

harsha_c

Registered Users (C)
All,

I got GC in 2005 and spend close to year and half in US.

I went overseas in 2007 for studies and managed without reentry permit by coming back often. They sent me to secondary inspection once. However I did not spend much time in US during that year. I then stayed in US for about 5 months and left overseas with reentry permit and came back after two years. Not many questions asked at immigration when I showed the reentry permit.

Now I am contemplating applying for reentry permit again and wondering what are my chances of getting one and for how long and will I be having tough time at immigration even if I have second reentry permit since I spent lot of time overseas during last three years. I have however maintained credit cards, bank statements and been paying taxes etc...

Will they bother me saying abandonment of residence at the port of entry or just let me know their intent by rejection of the second reentry permit itself.

Please advise

They will almost always issue the second reentry permit. It's the third and higher where you might have a problem getting it issued, or they could restrict it to 1 year instead of the usual two.

You could still have problems at the POE, given the amount of time you've spent overseas in the past 3 years. But you're certainly better off with the permit than not having it.

What happens if he were to get the second RE permit and then for whatever reason, did not want to go through the hassles and gave up the GC. Couple years later decided wants the GC again and applies. How do they look upon the fact of past GC with multiple RE permits or that does not matter? Do they care why you gave a GC up?

Usually no if you voluntary gave up the GC. If they made you give up the GC, that will probably have some negative influence towards their decision making.

What about if after the 2nd I-131 and decided to stay here and to apply for citizenship, are they considering your stay before the 1st I-131 to count for continuous residency? Like GR received 12/2006; apply for I-131 7/2010 citizenship due 12/2011. Do I need only 1.5 years stay continuously for citizenship application?

Some answers would greatly appreciated.

victorce79

What about if after the 2nd I-131 and decided to stay here and to apply for citizenship, are they considering your stay before the 1st I-131 to count for continuous residency? Like GR received 12/2006; apply for I-131 7/2010 citizenship due 12/2011. Do I need only 1.5 years stay continuously for citizenship application?

Some answers would greatly appreciated.

victorce79

For naturalization they don't care about your reentry permits. They look at the time you spent overseas during the past 5 years (and also the time during the process), regardless of when your reentry permits were issued or used.

I got GC base on marrige to a US citizenship and I spent 9 months totally staying in the US durring the past 3 years. May I ask how long more I need to stay here to start filling app for naturalization? can I file the petition a few months in advance of 18 months rule and then stay and wait for the proccesing or I have to wait to be exactly 18 months in the US and make a file then. Thanks

You have to fully complete the 18 months of physical presence (548 days) within the past 3 years before applying. Physical presence after submitting the application does not count, and the 90-day headstart is only allowed for the years of continuous residence, but not for physical presence.

So after gaining enough 18 months of phisical presence and apply for the naturalization, Can I leave the US when they'r processing the case and come back for FP, interview or whatever the need me to do? thanks

So after gaining enough 18 months of phisical presence and apply for the naturalization, Can I leave the US when they'r processing the case and come back for FP, interview or whatever the need me to do? thanks

Yes, but because the continuous residence requirement applies throughout the process, you could be denied if you travel too much after submitting the application. If your travel pattern shows that you're returning to the US very shortly before each appointment and leaving shortly after, it creates the impression that you have already relocated abroad for good and you're just barely touching US soil to complete the citizenship formalities.

You can apply for a second or even a third one. But they might give you one year instead of two, especially if you've spent 4 of the past 5 years outside the US or the last one expired very recently.

However, with yours having expired years ago, I'm quite sure they'll give you two years for the next one, assuming you haven't traveled a lot since it expired.

Second reentry permit application (5months sooner before it expires)

Hi,

I am a green card holder. I have a re-entry permit which was issued March2011 and will expire in March2013.
My question is, can I already apply again for the second time SOONER of 5 months before it expires??
I am in the Philippines right now, and I will stay in US for the whole month of October.
I am planning to apply already for a re-entry even if it is still vaild for 5months. Is that okay??
Month of October is the only free time I have, because I am still continuing my studies in the Philippines.

Thank you. :)