secod interview for adjustment of status

Quince

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I have been stuck in a name check for more than a year now, as many of you. I was so happy to hear about new memorandum from February this year, and I was anxiously waiting for the final approval of my GC.

However, on Thursday, I received a letter from the immigration that requires from my husband and me to come to the office for the "application for adjustment of status". The letter also states that "This interview will be video taped". The documents that we need to bring to the interview include only passport and my I-94. Other documents about the proof of shared life were not required (these documents were not checked on the letter that we have received).

I would like to mention that we have already passed our first interview 10 months ago, and I have been approved for a GC, but we had to wait for a name check to be complete. The IO stamped my passport stating the case is pending. We will be married for two years in October.

I am concerned what this new interview may mean, especially the fact that it would be video taped? If anyone had similar experience or heard for a similar case, please let me know.

Thanks

Well, if you passed the first interview, then there is nothing to worry about. I would still bring documents that prove your relationship though, recent ones.

Also, "just in case" they did schedule a "stokes" interview, go ahead and go over this document with your spouse: http://www.immigrationportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13973&d=1141527377

But I would not worry too much, it may just be a short interview for "protocol" and give you the approval finally. But like I said, do bring documents just in case and come back and let us know how it went! :)

Good luck!

Guys,

Thank you so much for your help and encouragement.

I would also be grateful if someone who has been in similar situation or heard for similar scenario, can share their experience.

Since I have been on this forum, I never heard that such letter was sent. So, that is why I am worried.

Thanks

Second interviews for marriage based AOS are rare but thses forums have seen a few. Search again.

Since I have been on this forum, I never heard that such letter was sent. So, that is why I am worried.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the officer wasnt very convinced of your first interview... so prepare for the "Stoke Interview".

If your marriage is bonafide then dont worry too much but review the handout in the previous post.

Good Luck,

I am in exactly the same situation. At our interview, our I-130 application was approved, the interviewer said it was "obvious" that we were married. But my I-485 application was not approved because of the name check. It has been pending for over a year now and we haven't heard a word until we received this letter today.

It says the same thing as Quince's letter. The reason for the appointment is "Application for Adjustment of Status" and it also states in bold letters that "this interview will be video taped".

I would love to know the purpose of this second, video taped interview. I am wondering if we need to retake the interview becasue they lost all of our information...?

Thanks for any further information or comments anyone has on this.

I am in exactly the same situation. At our interview, our I-130 application was approved, the interviewer said it was "obvious" that we were married. But my I-485 application was not approved because of the name check. It has been pending for over a year now and we haven't heard a word until we received this letter today.

It says the same thing as Quince's letter. The reason for the appointment is "Application for Adjustment of Status" and it also states in bold letters that "this interview will be video taped".

I would love to know the purpose of this second, video taped interview. I am wondering if we need to retake the interview becasue they lost all of our information...?

Thanks for any further information or comments anyone has on this.

Hi Yusufi,

What documents you are required to bring to the inteview (what items are checked in the letter that you have received)
Since we received the same type of letter, could you please tell me what is your DO (maybe it is the same as mine)!!

Thanks

Hi Quince & Yusufi,

I got the same letter today. I have exactly same situation like Quince. We cleared the first interview in August 2007. GC approved but have to wait for name check! I don't know what is it about. They are asking us to bring passport and i-94 nothing else!!!

Quince/ Yusufi good luck! Let me know how it goes.
Thanks.

They are probably clearing everyone with pending namecheck and are just going to approve you guys, the interview may be more of a formality than a real interview...

I hope so...but why would they want to video tape it?

They asked me to bring the same documents as you guys, the letter, my passport and I-94. My interview is on April 7th, I'll let you know how it goes.

Good Luck all!

I spoke to an immigration lawyer about the letter today and below was her take on it...but I can't guarantee that she's right about everything so just hope for the best (but prepare for the worst!)

Since the I-130 has already been approved, Stokes interview is not applicable.
She said it looks like they are bringing me in to get my passport stamped and to close out the adjustment of status, which would mean that my name check has cleared.
She said that letter is their standard/pro forma letter that they would issue for a variety of circumstances relating to marriage based cases (hence the somewhat intimidating “This interview will be video-taped”)

So hopefully this is the case and we'll all have our greencards in a month - wouldn't that be nice!

Good luck again to all.

Alright, purely a guess here --

Could it have to do something with the new USCIS guidance that states that NC pending cases will be adjudicated even if the NC is still pending? Maybe for some reason USCIS decided to videotapes the AOS of NC pending cases perhaps to defend their decision if the NC is not cleared at a later stage? Maybe as a record that they explained to the applicant that NC is still pending? Who knows. I may be complete wrong. But it's interesting that several people get this letter simultaenously, which indicates to me it could be part of this new policy.

Hello Quince, Yusufi and MVP7,

We all are in the same boat,
Don't worry about the video taped, I have the same letter last year too, that the interview will be videao taped but I didn't see any video recorder.
Good luck to all and keep in touch.

I got the same letter (asked to come with my USC spouse, and bring passport and I-94). whoever goes through the interview first, please post your experience on this thread.

How exactly did the first AOS interview end?

The first interview was very smooth and lasted about 20 minutes. The Immigration Officer checked our documents (joint bank statements, insurance policy, proof of address, pay stubs, tax returns, marriage certificate, marriage photos, etc). After going through all the documents and asking us basic questions (where/when/how did we meet, where did we get married, etc) she approved our I-130 and said I-485 was pending name check.

We have been married for over 2 years and since everything is legit, there is nothing really to worry about, but since i had never heard of a second interview, it made me very curious.

Seems like you do not have a complicated case. Just turn up at the stated time. Good luck and keep us posted.

We have been married for over 2 years and since everything is legit, there is nothing really to worry about, but since i had never heard of a second interview, it made me very curious.

Went for the second interview

The officer made us take the usual oath and then asked 'one' question under oath. Basically had us restate that we are married and stayed married during the course of the application. Then he asked us about finger prints and since ours were over 2 years old has scheduled us for a new round of FP. He stated that the application was in order but needed the FP clearance. The name check is pending and will remain pending but they don't care about that anymore.

So another trip for FP and hopefully the application clears then.