Seattle DO - N-400 timeline

SEA400,

I got status update for interview...

Have you got any status update? You were ahead of me by one day in FP...

Hi Free,

Yes, I got an Email about case being sent to standard interview.

I would be eagerly looking out USPS mail next week.

<Reposting on this thread>

Does the Seattle DO offer same day Oath ceremony (after the interview) these days?
I read an older posting that Oath Ceremonies were only offered on Mondays, in Seattle -- is that still the case? Is it always the immediate next Monday (even if the interview is on a, say, Friday)?

I just had my interview today. I asked the officer if I can have the oath done. He said they can not. The earliest next oath day is November 4th.

Jun 12 - N-400 sent
Jun 15 - priotity date
Jul 12 - FP done
Jul 23 - 2nd FP letter received
Aug 17 - 2nd FP done
Aug 25 - interview letter received
Oct 26 - interview done
Nov 4 - Oath date

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had my interview today. I asked the officer if I can have the oath done. He said they can not. The earliest next oath day is November 4th.

Jun 12 - N-400 sent
Jun 15 - priotity date
Jul 12 - FP done
Jul 23 - 2nd FP letter received
Aug 17 - 2nd FP done
Aug 25 - interview letter received
Oct 26 - interview done
Nov 4 - Oath date

Congrats! fifiafaap2

Could you please share your interview experience? did you have interview at Tukwila DO?

Status Update

Just received an e-mail from USCIS that our case(my wife and I) has been transfered to local DO for standard interview.
It took exactly 2 weeks from the fingerprinting to get this e-mail. Will wait for the USPS mail to know the interview date. I hope the date is after our 5 year PR.

Thanks.

Please post your Citizenship Interview Experience in Seattle

Hi All.
Can anyone post his/her citizenship interview experience in Seattle DO?

Thanks.

Congrats! fifiafaap2

Could you please share your interview experience? did you have interview at Tukwila DO?

Thank you.

My interview experience is pretty good. My appointment was 9am on Monday. I arrived at 9:25am because of the traffic and heavy rain. But it didn't cause any trouble. The officer called my name while I was in waiting room for less than 10 minutes. I followed him to his office. He was nice and courteous. He told me to relax and assured me I'd be out of there in 10 minutes. He basically asked me the questions in N-400 form. Then asked me civics questions. Then he presented me 2 forms. One says I passed the other is for the oath. The whole process really just took 10 minutes. He didn't even ask me for the court record for my traffic ticket!

So there's nothing to worry about. I'm sure you'll get it too.

Thank you.

My interview experience is pretty good. My appointment was 9am on Monday. I arrived at 9:25am because of the traffic and heavy rain. But it didn't cause any trouble. The officer called my name while I was in waiting room for less than 10 minutes. I followed him to his office. He was nice and courteous. He told me to relax and assured me I'd be out of there in 10 minutes. He basically asked me the questions in N-400 form. Then asked me civics questions. Then he presented me 2 forms. One says I passed the other is for the oath. The whole process really just took 10 minutes. He didn't even ask me for the court record for my traffic ticket!

So there's nothing to worry about. I'm sure you'll get it too.

Thanks so much ffiafaap2 for your response. My interview has been scheduled on 11/12/2009.

Has anyone done walk-in FP at Seattle DO before the date on the notice? I may be traveling on the date of my scheduled FP date and was wondering if I can do it the week earlier instead of the week afterward.

Status Update: Received Interview Letter!

Hi All,
Here is our updated timeline. Received the interview letter on Nov 02, 2009.

Thanks

For those who asked if Seattle DO allows for walk-in FP - the answer is No (unless you love to beg/plead/grovel). The woman in front of me had an appointment for next week and she tried to get it done today. She gave the excuse that she is out of town next week. The ASC lady just took her interview notice and canceled it and said a new one will arrive in mail. The woman then started to plead/beg/grovel and was finally able to get her old appointment letter back.

I think it primarily has to do with how busy they are. Seattle DO has always been very busy and they really dont want to add to that via unscheduled appearances.

For those who asked if Seattle DO allows for walk-in FP - the answer is No (unless you love to beg/plead/grovel). The woman in front of me had an appointment for next week and she tried to get it done today. She gave the excuse that she is out of town next week. The ASC lady just took her interview notice and canceled it and said a new one will arrive in mail. The woman then started to plead/beg/grovel and was finally able to get her old appointment letter back.

I think it primarily has to do with how busy they are. Seattle DO has always been very busy and they really dont want to add to that via unscheduled appearances.

This is not correct for finger-print appointments. Four of my family members have -- each at different times -- done walk-in FP appointments over the last two months alone. No begging was necessary.

If you're talking about the actual naturalization interview itself, I believe that's right. I don't think any office in the country allows you to do a walk-in naturalization interview, since they have to have your personal materials all ready to go at the time of interview.

This is not correct for finger-print appointments. Four of my family members have -- each at different times -- done walk-in FP appointments over the last two months alone. No begging was necessary.

If you're talking about the actual naturalization interview itself, I believe that's right. I don't think any office in the country allows you to do a walk-in naturalization interview, since they have to have your personal materials all ready to go at the time of interview.

Actually you Both are correct, I have first hand experience in both cases. I was allowed to do the Walk-in FP for My Self but for My Wifes were not allowed. Both times it was a genuine case and Me and My Wife have the plan tickets to support that. Since my wife was not allowed to do the Walk-In FP but we were able to get the appointment re-scheduled.

an other note. I don't think doing FP a week early or late matters.
I was able to do the FP two week early than my Scheduled date but I received my Interview letter after 5 Weeks from FP. ( 3 weeks after my Schedule appointment date)

My Wife did her FP after one week from her scheduled appointment and she received he interview appointment letter after one week from FP (3 Weeks from Schedule FP Date.)

So I would say keep your original FP appointment unless you have a real issue with it.

If you have to do the Walk-In FP try to go there later in the day not early morning, around 2:30.

(Please note this is my personal view I am not an immigration lawyer or Immigration expert)

Interview & Oath Experience!

US Citizenship Interview Experience:

My wife and I were scheduled to be interviewed for US citizenship on December 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM (same time for both of us) Seattle DO. Ours was based on 5 years as a LPR of the USA. Our “Green Cards” were granted on December 1, 2004. It was based on my employment. My wife and children were basically derivatives.

Firstly our sincere thanks to all in this forum whose inputs, suggestions/recommendations helped us prepare well not only in terms of documentation but the actual test itself.

My Experience:

I was called in at 10:05 AM by an IO who looked very stern. I greeted him after my name was called out and we proceeded to go his room. It was a decent size office. There were at least 4 chairs in two rows in his office where I was seated. I was asked to raise my right hand and sworn to tell the truth. He asked for my passports, DL & GC. He said he would make a copy but I offered him my colored notarized copies of all my passports, DL & GC instead. He was very happy and was impressed with the way I had organized my documentations. I had basically organized them in sequence of N-400 forms questions with folders marked with labels as “Original” followed by folders marked with labels “COPY”. All of these were put in a portable file cabinet.
I saw my A-file which was impressively thick but the file cover looked pretty antiquated. He went over the N-400 form in a very detailed manner. Every item number on the form was asked to me as a question. He expected me to remember all the information mentioned in the form, which I fortunately did. The “YES/NO” questions were pretty easy until we reached the inevitable question on “Citation”. My response was “NO” to arrest or being detained but I did mention my traffic ticket (“Disobey stop sign”; paid fine of $110). He asked me to amend the form and initial it. He asked for the ORIGINAL court disposition, ticket and the payment receipt and kept a copy of the same which I had done for him. Essentially what it means is that all citations must be mentioned on the form and documents should be presented to the IO as to how it was resolved.
He did mention that my background check and fingerprint looked good. Actually he was multi-tasking for every response of mine to N-400 questions and additionally looking over his computer screen for some verification, I guess. During the course of interview, I was very relaxed and felt that the IO did an excellent job!

The test was very easy. Six questions were:

1.) Which war did the US fight in 1900s?
2.) How many voting representatives are there in the House?
3.) How many years does a US representative get elected for?
4.) Who is the Chief Justice of the United States?
5.) Why did the colonists fight the British? (Please note that all the reasons should be mentioned as in the booklet and not just one). He said “Good Job” in that answer.
6.) What is one reason colonists came to America?

I was asked to read “Who was the first President?”
And then was asked to write the answer.

Was asked for my response to the Oath Requirements (H 34-39 on N-400 form) and I said “Yes” to all.
That’s it. Then I was asked to print my full signature on the forms, sign my photographs on the right hand side from bottom to top. Please be advised that I signed it as my true and complete signature.
He then congratulated me for having passed the test and said the you are approved and was instantly handed over the test results form and the Oath letter for 2PM on the same day (12/03/2009). I was out of the IO’s office by 10:20 AM.

My wife had a similar experience. She was called in at 11:05 AM and took about 25 minutes in total. She too was asked for her traffic ticket and the IO took a copy of the same for her and amended the N-400 form. Her traffic ticket was for “Disobey stop sign”; paid fine of $110. She was additionally asked how she obtained her Green Card? Her reply was that she was a derivative. She passed the test and was handed over the oath letter for 2PM on the same day (12/03/2009).

In conclusion, I surmise that N-400 is pretty much checked/validated thoroughly by the process USCIS has established. The IO basically double checks all the facts with his computer and the interviewee’s responses and adjudicates the case if he or she has the direct authority to adjudicate on the spot.

OATH EXPERIENCE:

It was a very pleasant experience. They take your GC and the Oath letter and assign you a seat number. You then watch a video and some fascinating data from American History. The director of USCIS Seattle then administers the Oath of Allegiance and then eventually calls your name to present your Naturalization Certificate. She then congratulates you on becoming a US citizen.
My wife and I became proud US citizens on December 3, 2009 at about 3:00PM.

Sorry for being so detailed. Hope some of you would benefit from this description of our US citizenship odyssey.

Thanks to Rajiv Khanna and all the members of this wonderful forum and special thanks to USCIS for making it such a smooth process!
Good Luck to all of you out there!!
God bless!

Congratulations bks43wa for a successful Interview at Seattle DO and US citizenship.

Your IO was indeed a tough one!

Thank you and Congratulations!

Thanks "The Free" :)

Congratulations to you too! It was worth every bit of it.:)

Thanks