Seattle DO - N-400 timeline

Just left the building & having dinner at my favorite teriyaki joint on interurban ave. I have a misdeamenor that dates back to 2001 but been clean since, I also had a job that took me to Canada on a daily basis & during that time I lost my green card & had it replaced immediately. one border patrol person didn't like the fact I didn't report it to the police & entered something in the system, this happened around 9-11, so everytime I crossed the border I was held for questioning because I'm middle eastern & because of 9-11. So today I got the royal treatment again, one from an internal fraud investigating officer & the other from the interviewing officer. I passed the test but got the hand out with first box checked, the one that says disicion cannot be made...blah...blah...bla....
Today was extremely busy because they had an oath ceremony for a lot of people. I was in that office for over three and a half hours, now that service! Will update my time lines when I get home because my hand held blackberry is a nightmare to use, well, sometimes, eh!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I called the 800 number so that i can talk to an IO they said 'you cannot contact us until 90 days past your interview'.. I went online, to schedule an infopass.. no availability for this month..
It's nice how people's lives are being inconvenienced....

Arrived at 7:10 for my 7:20 interview.
Was called into interview room around 7:30, and asked to produce Green Card, Drivers Licence and Passport. The officer checked various items on my original application form by asking various questions. I forgot about 2 of my foreign trips in the last five years - but she didn't seem to mind.
I read the sentence: "Today I am going to the store" and wrote: "She was happy with her house", answered questions 6, 10, 23, 41, 53 and 84 from the 'old' test... and walked out at 7:42 with my oath letter... dated for Wednesday 26th at 9:15.
This year, I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving as an American !!!!

Application received: 24 March 2008
(interview notification expectation set at "248 days")
Fingerprint Notice: 1 April 2008
Fingerprint date: 17 April 2008
Interview notice sent: 15 Sept 2008
Interview date: 17 November 2008
Oath letter: 17 November 2008
Oath date: 26 November 2008

Unable to upload attachments

Hi,
I would like to take over from Jelly213 and continue with his processing excel file but it looks like I am unable to attach files.

--Rafiq

Congrats Vagrant!

Congrats! Is see the NOA for you was accurate for once! Youd did it in 246 days and your NOA stated 248. Wow.

-Rafiq

Had my interview today at 10.20am. Arrived at 10am and was called in at 10.10am. Was asked to produce my passport, green card and driving license. Then the immigration officer went through my N-400 application. I was a bit worried that she'd want proof of income as I'm self-employed but that didn't come up. Was asked six questions from the old exam and then had to write a sentence in English, and read a sentence. And that was it! It was all completed within about 15 minutes. Have been scheduled for my oath ceremony on 1st December.

7/26/08 : N-400 Mailed
7/28/08 : Recieved at NSC
7/29/08 : Check Cashed
7/28/08 : Priority Date
8/08/08 : FP Notice
9/4/08 : FP Done
9/16/08 : Interview Notice Recieved
11/17/08 : Interview
12/1/08: Oath Ceremony

I had my interview today too. My appointment was for 10:00, but the immigration officer that I had was 20 minutes behind. I went in at 10:20 and out in 12 minutes. He checked over my N-400 and then was asked to write an English sentence. I did the old exam and had total of 7 questions. I answered one wrong so had to do an extra one. My oath date is November 26th.
Penchant7 where were you sitting? Did you have problems hearing the person calling your name?

Here is my N-400 timeline -
03/28/08 - Received date
03/28/08 - Priority date
04/03/08 - Notice date
04/24/08 - 1st Fingerprinting
05/14/08 - 2nd Fingerprinting (FBI was unable to process the 1st)
09/20/08 - Received Interview Notice
11/17/08 - Interview
11/26/08 - Oath Ceremony

Hi all,
Just had my interview today at 9:00,was called in at 9:05.The IO was very nice and polite,he sworn me in,the he asked for my GC and DL ONLY!
Went through my application,question by question,updated some information,the he asked me which test i like to take,i took the old,he was happy with it,he said it is faster then the new.
Asked me :
- What we celebrate in the 4th.....
- Who is the VP now?
- Whats the constitution?
- How many senators are in the congress?
- Who is Martin luther King.?
- Why did the pilgrims come?
The he said "that's it no more question ,you answered all six questions correctly.
He started checking on his computer,the he gave me the pics i sent with the application to sign on them,congratulates me and gave me N-652 stating that i have passed....etc.
and Congratulation your application has been rec..... etc.
He handed me Oath letter Dated on 12/05/2008 at 1:15
I was out at 9:35,that was my interview experience today,and i think finally my citizenship is over after 918 days.
Wish you all the best of lock .
my time line :

N400 Received at NSC:05/12/2006
FP notice : 05/26/2006
1st FP :06/20/2006
2nd FP notice 09/15/2008
2nd FP done :10/10/2008
IL received:10/20/2008
Interview date :11/20/2008
Oath ceremony date :12/05/2008

I had to withdraw my N-400 application. Resident since date was entered wrong on my GC, so I had to reapply after 6months. What surprised me is, they found out this, on my interview date, why did they not tell me this before? This was totally not expected.

I asked if I get my money back, she said she had no authority and I had to call 800 number. I planned so many things basing on this. Now I had to replan, cannot think of it now.

I know the date on my GC was wrong and I contacted them before, and they gave me a feeling that date was infact correct. I did not expect this would be raised on my interview day, if they found it before and informed me, that would have been really nice.

The office showed me, when my I-485 was approved and how long should I wait before I reapply. She kept saying sorry all 10min, does not do any good to me.

My appt was at 10am and they called me in at 11.50am. Thats true with 6 or 7 other people, who waited 2+hrs before they were called.

So if you know that any of the dates are wrong on GC, dont apply on that basis and loose valuable time and money.

Seattle
Mailed N-400.....03/25/08
Reached...........03/28/08
Receipt Date.....03/31/08
Actual FP…………05/06/2008
Sep 23rd-Talked to on phone (supervisor) - FBI check is pending and I am not in the line for Interview
Oct 20th- Talked to Supervisor again- My IL is in the mail on 16th Oct
IL letter 10/21/2008
Interview Date 11/20/2008 Done, had to withdraw,since I applied a little early bec of wrong Resident Since date on my GC

mommym : Yes, it was very busy when I was there and it was hard to hear them call out names. I was in the left hand section as you go up the stairs. The interview officers kept popping out from doors all over the place - didn't know where to look! They need a tannoy system there or megaphones.

The immigration officer handling my case was on loan to the Seattle office from the Portland, OR office. She said the Seattle people have made lots of progress in whittling down the number of applications over the past few months, partly due to the extra people helping out.

Btw, I just checked the online website & my case status has not changed since July so that website is not much use - it still says "Current Status: Case received and pending". https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/login.jsp

7/26/08 : N-400 Mailed
7/28/08 : Recieved at NSC
7/29/08 : Check Cashed
7/28/08 : Priority Date
8/08/08 : FP Notice
9/4/08 : FP Done
9/16/08 : Interview Notice Recieved
11/17/08 : Interview
12/1/08: Oath Ceremony

I had to withdraw my N-400 application. Resident since date was entered wrong on my GC, so I had to reapply after 6months. What surprised me is, they found out this, on my interview date, why did they not tell me this before? This was totally not expected.

I asked if I get my money back, she said she had no authority and I had to call 800 number. I planned so many things basing on this. Now I had to replan, cannot think of it now.

I know the date on my GC was wrong and I contacted them before, and they gave me a feeling that date was infact correct. I did not expect this would be raised on my interview day, if they found it before and informed me, that would have been really nice.

The office showed me, when my I-485 was approved and how long should I wait before I reapply. She kept saying sorry all 10min, does not do any good to me.

My appt was at 10am and they called me in at 11.50am. Thats true with 6 or 7 other people, who waited 2+hrs before they were called.

So if you know that any of the dates are wrong on GC, dont apply on that basis and loose valuable time and money.

Seattle
Actual FP…………05/06/2008
Sep 23rd-Talked to on phone (supervisor) - FBI check is pending and I am not in the line for Interview
IL letter 10/21/2008
Interview Date 11/20/2008 Done, had to withdraw,since I applied a little early bec of wrong Resident Since date on my GC

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you don't let this stop you and that you will apply again.

-Rafiq

N-400 denied ... need advice???

Just got my N-400 application denied by the USCIS. :mad:

This is my story.

I applied for my citizenship through my U.S citizen wife on April 2008. I have been a permanent resident since June 2005. I did mistakenly register to vote in Los Angeles in October 2004. When my wife decided to register to vote I registered with her thinking that everybody can register and I did not intent to vote until I become an American citizen.

Before the interview I went to Los Angeles County and I did remove my name from the register to vote list on October 16 2008. And I obtained a letter noted that I did remove my name from the list and I did NOT vote.

During the interview for nationalization, I told the Officer that I mistakenly
registered to vote. And I provided her with the evidence of the cancelation. Then she continued the interview and I passed my English test. Then she told me that I will receive a written letter about the decision by the mail within 120 days, which I did receive it within 6 weeks.

This is what I received: :confused:

Reference is made to the application for naturalization, Form N-400, which you filed on April 23, 2008, in accordance with Section 316(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended. This section provides that a qualified person may be naturalized if a person has resided continuously in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for five years, has been physically present in the United States for at least half of those five years, and has been and still is a person of good moral character.

Pursuant to an investigation and examination of your application, it is determined that you are ineligible for naturalization at this time. The administrative record reflects that, on October 20, 2008, you were interviewed, under oath, regarding your application. On October 20, 2008, you also executed a Record of Sworn Statement, under oath, in which you stated that you registered to vote in the County of Los Angeles, California.

The administrative record also shows that you submitted an original certification from the Acting Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk of the County of Los Angeles, California, date October 16, 2008, establishing that you registered to vote on October 18, 2004.

The statutory period for your naturalization began on April 22, 2003, which is five years prior to the filing date of your application for naturalization and continues until the time of your naturalization. Your act of registering to vote occurred within the statutory period. As an applicant for naturalization, you must demonstrate that you were a person of good moral character during the statutory period.

Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations, subsection 316.10 specifically provides:
“(b) Finding of a lack of good moral character.
(3) Unless the applicant establishes extenuating circumstances, the applicant shall be found to lack good moral character if, during the statutory period, the applicant:
(iii) Committed unlawful act that adversely reflect upon the applicant’s moral character, or was convicted or imprisoned for such acts, although the acts do not fall within the purview of 316.10(b)(1) or (2).”
Your act of registering to vote in federal, state, or local election in violation of the law demonstrates a lack of good moral character.

“(a) Requirement of good moral character during the statutory period.
(1) An applicant for naturalization bears the burden of demonstrating that, during the statutorily prescribed period, he or she has been and continues to be a person of good moral character. This includes the period between the examination and the administration of the oath of allegiance.”

Inasmuch as you have failed to demonstrate good moral character during the statutory period. You are at this time ineligible for naturalization. Your application for naturalization to become a citizen of the United States must be, and is hereby, denied. :eek:

If you decide to request a review hearing on this decision pursuant to Section 336(a) of the Act, you must file a request for a hearing within 30 days of the date of this notice (33 days if this notice was received by mail).

This decision is final if no request for hearing is filed within the time allowed. A request for a hearing may be made to the Field Office Director of the Citizenship and Immigration Services at the above address on Form N-336 (enclosed), Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceeding, under Section 336 of the Act, together with a fee of $605.00. A brief or other written statement in support of your request may be submitted with the Request for Hearing.

Why they denied me? I told the truth!!! ?? Please help….. I don’t know where to go from here???!!!!

Seattle
Actual FP…………05/06/2008
IL letter 10/21/2008

How much time frame: days/weeks/months we talking here?? Maybe a lawyer can help you in this matter???

People do make mistakes but something as simple as this I'm sure it can be corrected.:eek:

I feel for you brother.:)

Just got my N-400 application denied by the USCIS. :mad:

This is my story.

I applied for my citizenship through my U.S citizen wife on April 2008. I have been a permanent resident since June 2005. I did mistakenly register to vote in Los Angeles in October 2004. When my wife decided to register to vote I registered with her thinking that everybody can register and I did not intent to vote until I become an American citizen.

Before the interview I went to Los Angeles County and I did remove my name from the register to vote list on October 16 2008. And I obtained a letter noted that I did remove my name from the list and I did NOT vote.

During the interview for nationalization, I told the Officer that I mistakenly
registered to vote. And I provided her with the evidence of the cancelation. Then she continued the interview and I passed my English test. Then she told me that I will receive a written letter about the decision by the mail within 120 days, which I did receive it within 6 weeks.

This is what I received: :confused:

Reference is made to the application for naturalization, Form N-400, which you filed on April 23, 2008, in accordance with Section 316(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended. This section provides that a qualified person may be naturalized if a person has resided continuously in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for five years, has been physically present in the United States for at least half of those five years, and has been and still is a person of good moral character.

Pursuant to an investigation and examination of your application, it is determined that you are ineligible for naturalization at this time. The administrative record reflects that, on October 20, 2008, you were interviewed, under oath, regarding your application. On October 20, 2008, you also executed a Record of Sworn Statement, under oath, in which you stated that you registered to vote in the County of Los Angeles, California.

The administrative record also shows that you submitted an original certification from the Acting Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk of the County of Los Angeles, California, date October 16, 2008, establishing that you registered to vote on October 18, 2004.

The statutory period for your naturalization began on April 22, 2003, which is five years prior to the filing date of your application for naturalization and continues until the time of your naturalization. Your act of registering to vote occurred within the statutory period. As an applicant for naturalization, you must demonstrate that you were a person of good moral character during the statutory period.

“(b) Finding of a lack of good moral character.
(3) Unless the applicant establishes extenuating circumstances, the applicant shall be found to lack good moral character if, during the statutory period, the applicant:
(iii) Committed unlawful act that adversely reflect upon the applicant’s moral character, or was convicted or imprisoned for such acts, although the acts do not fall within the purview of 316.10(b)(1) or (2).”
Your act of registering to vote in federal, state, or local election in violation of the law demonstrates a lack of good moral character.

“(a) Requirement of good moral character during the statutory period.
(1) An applicant for naturalization bears the burden of demonstrating that, during the statutorily prescribed period, he or she has been and continues to be a person of good moral character. This includes the period between the examination and the administration of the oath of allegiance.”

Inasmuch as you have failed to demonstrate good moral character during the statutory period. You are at this time ineligible for naturalization. Your application for naturalization to become a citizen of the United States must be, and is hereby, denied. :eek:

If you decide to request a review hearing on this decision pursuant to Section 336(a) of the Act, you must file a request for a hearing within 30 days of the date of this notice (33 days if this notice was received by mail).

This decision is final if no request for hearing is filed within the time allowed. A request for a hearing may be made to the Field Office Director of the Citizenship and Immigration Services at the above address on Form N-336 (enclosed), Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceeding, under Section 336 of the Act, together with a fee of $605.00. A brief or other written statement in support of your request may be submitted with the Request for Hearing.

Why they denied me? I told the truth!!! ?? Please help….. I don’t know where to go from here???!!!!

:)
Sorry to hear that:eek: I think its time to consult with an attorney:) If your application was marriage based then you only need 3 years of good moral charecter & not 5 years like its stated on the denial/rejection letter!!!:(

You said you applied for citizenship through your US wife. However, in their ruling USCIS indicated you filed under 5 year rule, which is impossible since you only became a LPR in 2005.
The USCIS ruling they sent you is based on the false premise that you filed under 316(a) whereas in reality you filed under 319(a) (3 year marriage to US citizen). Thus your statutory period is 3 years and your voter registration took place outside that period.
I would appeal this case on the grounds that you filed under 319(a) and that your statutory period is 3 years. Thus the USCIS argument of lack of moral character becomes void since it your voter registration took place outside the statutory period.

Pilot9288: I would encourage you to obtain legal consel and appeal as what others have also said is that your statutory period in 3 years not 5.

Rafiq