Seattle DO - N-400 timeline

seattleliter,
1. Did you take an updated page with your new trips to the officer? Did the officer attach this updated page?
2. How did you sign the photos (full name in cursive? not your usual scribble signature?)
3. I presume you signed the N-400 at the interview in the same way - full name in cursive? Can you update?

Other folks who have this Seattle interview on June 3, pls. update once you come back.

1. No I just told him the dates for the new trip and he wrote it down, he then calculated the number of days on his computer and wrote it down.
2. sign on the photos - full name in cursive. He told me where to sign on the photos(from top to bottom on the left side of the photo)
3. sign on the n400 form should be the same as the one on photos. He said I should sign the same way on the oath letter too.

OK guys: are you ready for some real flights of fancy? (It is amazing what one can do when one is procrastinating. . . ).

I was sure that somewhere there would be monthly USCIS stats on number of applications of various kinds, etc. They are well hidden, but I finally found a monthly USCIS bulletin giving such data (on USCIS web site, go to "about USCIS", then to "Reports and Studies" and then somewhere in the small print of the menu you'll see "Monthly Statistical Reports on [N-400 Applications]".

I have taken all the data available from there and created a new spreadsheet on another tab in my spreadsheet called N400 Flow. Here we can see the number of fresh N-400s each month, the number of approvals and rejections, and the total backlog. There are some mysteries. First of all, the flow numbers don't align exactly with the stock (e.g. if there were 100 new applications in a month and 80 decisions, then the outstanding backlog does not necessarily increase by 20 cases). Secondly, as each monthly report compares current data to the year-ago month we have two views of some months and there are small discrepancies between the two views of any such month. Finally, I can't reconcile these data with the USCIS's repeated statement that they received 460k N-400s in July 2007.

With all the caveats implied in the above, let's look at what information we can glean:

1. As I suspected, the number of fresh N-400s filed drops after July '07, but perhaps not quite as fast as I had thought. This should mean that processing will speed up as we get through the July '07 bulge.

2. To look at this more closely, I did a quick estimate of the number of working days in each month and then divided the number of decisions by them to get an idea of the average number of decisions each day. We can see that the USCIS has in fact ramped up its efforts but has been overwhelmed by the sheer volumes of new N-400s. In recent months, over 4000 decisions have been made every day.

3. I used this to to try to project future processing speeds and if we assume 4000 decisions per working day, then my best estimates are as follows:

In July '08: PDs up to August 13th 2007 [adamsavich]
In Aug '08: PDs up to September 24th 2007 [Senga]
In Sep '08: PDs up to October 25th 2007 [HomerSimp, aquantum123, popeyesailor]
In Oct '08: PDs up to December 31st 2007 [chuang2830 and wife, anibala2001, and jelly213]

Please recognize that these are incredibly rough estimates based on uncertain assumptions, and above all that they reflect US-wide data, not Seattle DO specific data. Of course individual cases will differ, too.

4. On the point of SEA vs US data, it might not be unreasonable to think that they will roughly track one another. In early April the USCIS had a press release with projected processing times for 70 DOs at the end of September 2008. (Not a 100% clear what they meant by that). Seattle DO is smack-dab in the middle of the range of projected processing times. Take a look at the third tab on my spreadsheet for fun. We would all have been better off if we had lived in Helena MT!

5. Finally, I would note that if the FBI meets the name check targets agreed earlier in the year and my assumptions above hold up, then Flying Turk and Anxious1 should be ready for ILs by the end of November 2008 and presumably have IDs in December.

Best regards to all,

--J--

Jelly,
You are doing some pretty impressive work. Hats off!
(yes, there are many assumptions, and caveats, but still you have put in lot of work)

Jelly213,
thanks for looking out for me. I called my attorney and updated her about the situation. Their office wanted $6000 to file the Mandamus lawsuit for me.. I said thanks but no thanks.. Looks like Wikipedia has new page where they are talking about the Lawsuit process. It's pretty simple to understand..

That 6 grand was pretty nice kick in the butt for me.. I decided to take the matters on my own hand and ordered the Civil Case Pro Se package from the US District Court in Seattle. I will be home next week for 3 days and will start filling it out.
I also got the N400 Interview Pleading Word document from wikipedia. Started to put in my documents in there..

Enough is enough.... I have waited long enough and i am not waiting any longer..

Jelly213, Thanks for the awesome research. Please add my info. to your file:

Sent N-400 - 19-May-08
PD - 21-May-08
Check cashed - 28-May-08
Received NOA - 2-Jun-08
FP Notice - 7-Jun-08
FP - 12-Jun-08
Comments - Nepal

Thanks!

No IL as of yet - this wait sucks.

BTW, I have scheduled an InfoPass appointment so I can go in and talk to the IO. Is this what some of the previous posters did and was it helpful in any way? Thanks

Waiting for IL

11/15/2007 - Received NOA
11/23/2007 - FP Notice (1st)
01/18/2008 - FP Notice (2nd)
02/08/2008 - FP Done
? - IL

EasyDoesIt, queensheba & js360 - have you got IL too?? Please let us know...

Yes I completed the entire process a while ago. Here is my complete timeline:

07/29/2007 Priority Date (Nebraska)
10/31/2007 Check cashed
12/09/2007 Fingerprinting done
12/26/2007 Interview notice date
01/14/2008 Interview passed
01/28/2008 Oath ceremony

So it has been a pretty smooth process (total 6 months from N400 submission to oath). I had initially thought the application would take over a year. I even went overseas for a month. When I came back, the fingerprinting notice was waiting for me and the appointment was only a few days away (got lucky here).

Hope everyone else a speedy process too. Good luck everyone!

EasyDoesIt, queensheba & js360 - have you got IL too?? Please let us know...

All three of them were the lucky ones who got their ILs way before the normal processing times and finished their process quite a while ago. Pls see Jelly's spreadsheet for their dates.

posted this in another thread:

Cross posting it here:
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=1921192#post1921192

Update:

Wife passed the interview at Seattle DO. But slightly sad part is that as I expected, "decision cannot be made" on N-652.
She is waiting for police clearance letter to arrive from California, and they need that.

Other than that she passed the interview, and they said thats the only thing she needs to mail to USCIS. After they receive it, they will send Oath letter (hopefully they wont take too long).

One funny incident:
It seems there is a FORM N-14 - what is this form? The IO tried hard but could not find this form N-14 on her PC to say she needs to submit police clearance. Instead she could not find N-14 on her computer, so IO typed a letter and gave it to my wife.

N400 processing date for Seattle.... July 13th 2007 (posted on June 15th).

Prev N400 processing date for Seattle.... July 2nd 2007 (posted on May 15th).

They took one month to process 11 days worth of applications, Hope fully July 2007 applications could get cleared by July 2008 end.

Any one got ILs... please post here....

N400 processing date for Seattle.... July 13th 2007 (posted on June 15th).

Prev N400 processing date for Seattle.... July 2nd 2007 (posted on May 15th).

They took one month to process 11 days worth of applications, Hope fully July 2007 applications could get cleared by July 2008 end.

Any one got ILs... please post here....

HomerSimp,
dont worry about the dates they give. I have july 23rd PD got my IL end of April and finished my interview june 3rd; and crosshairs with PD around july 26th(not sure) got his IL end of May for interview 3rd week of June. This shows that they have finished processing the July hump.

Received another letter from USCIS. Similar B.S like before.. Security checks pending, blah blah blah blah blah...Come back and see us in 6 months..
F@ck 'em!!!