Seattle DO - N-400 timeline

I am finally done with fingerprints (8/19/2008). Now waiting for an interview date. Thanks for all your help, otherwise I would still be sitting and waiting for FP letter "they've mailed in December 2007".

Got IL letter.... Interview on 10/3/2008.

After little over one year wait (sent my application on 08/24/2007), I got my IL letter today.... finally... huh.. great relief...

My wife got her IL in July last week and attended her interview last month. Still waiting for oath date...

Changed my address during N400 wait but it did not create much problem.. Looks like INS is getting organized... slowly...

Question : The new citizenship test is going to start from 10/1/2008 and please read this link - http://www.uscis.gov/vgn-ext-templa...nnel=2de5bece24e7b110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

The link says the test to be taken as "Applicant's Choice of Current Test or Redesigned (New) Test" if Date Form N-400 Filed is "Before October 1, 2008".

My question is - Have I understood correctly that I could choose the current test since my application date is Aug 27th 2007? Please correct me if I am wrong.

My question is - Have I understood correctly that I could choose the current test since my application date is Aug 27th 2007? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Same question here. I believe we can choose the current test, please confirm. Which one is easier? I'm thinking the current one should be easier as it is just basically memorizing the answers to the 100 sample questions.

I finally got my interview letter today. But after waiting for so long, somehow I didn't get excited at all. It's like I've almost completely forgotten about it :eek: I sent my application 12/07, FP 1/08, and my scheduled interview date is 10/06/08.

Same question here. I believe we can choose the current test, please confirm. Which one is easier? I'm thinking the current one should be easier as it is just basically memorizing the answers to the 100 sample questions.

I finally got my interview letter today. But after waiting for so long, somehow I didn't get excited at all. It's like I've almost completely forgotten about it :eek: I sent my application 12/07, FP 1/08, and my scheduled interview date is 10/06/08.

It's your choice of what test to take since interview is after October 1st. Both test have he same type of question. One test isn't easier or harder than the other.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=2de5bece24e7b110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=2de5bece24e7b110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

Got IL Letter!

Finally got my IL letter yesterday. Interview date is 10/7/08. Thanks!

IL: 09/03/08
ID: 10/07/08

Hi guys!

I join HomerSimp, Ed1978 and diktus in having received my IL :D. I was in San Francisco for a week or so and found it on my return this past Tuesday. Extrapolating from the date stamp on the envelope, it would in fact have arrived that same day. My ID is 10/7/2008, as for diktus. I wonder whether we will be there at the same time? My appointment is for 8:30am.

On the issue of old vs. new test, I think Bobsmyth is right: those of us in the current crop of ILs will have the choice of which test to take. Since I know what I am dealing with viz the old test, that's the way I am likely go but I don't think they'll be all that different from one another.

I attach the updated version of the spreadsheet and thank TFO and Ed1978 for having added their timelines. Also good to know that seattlerus's case is back on track. The good news is that timelines are steadily shortening. Even the recently wider gap between IL and ID seems to be returning towards prior norms. Statistics were finally released on processing in July and the USCIS eked out another record daily processing speed for the month. Combined with an unusually large number of working days in July, the total number of cases adjudicated spiked upwards. (See the second tab of the spreadsheet, "N400 Flow"). The other interesting point about the July stats is that there was a monster revision to the July 2007 "initial receipts" number, which now clearly shows the wave of applications just before fees went up.

Finally, a quick word for FlyingTurk and san000: keep an eye on that press release that set out the USCIS/FBI commitment to deal with the backlog of name checks. If they should have cleared your case per that schedule but haven't, I'd suggest doing an InfoPass bringing a printout of the USCIS/FBI press release. It may galvanize some activity - but failing that, I suspect you are back to having to pursue it through the courts. From memory, san000 should already be "out of time", while FlyingTurk might have to wait a little longer before pushing these buttons. Incidentally, FlyingTurk, much as I am happy to have got my IL, I do feel badly that you are left behind given your situation. My fingers are crossed for a speedy resolution of your case.

--J--

Hi,
I've finally been able to reply to this forum. I had to change my user name from mcken to mommym. Jelly213 can you change that on your spreadsheet please? Thank-you for the information you put on the spreadsheet. Helps me know where I'm at in the waiting game. Thanks!

USCIS Customer service!

Hi all,

I just want to share with you what happened with me with USCIS!
I called #800 and pla pla pla ,till i talked to one of the agents,she told me that nothing in my case ,still pending FBI NC...Etc,i told her about the joint plan FBI and USCIS announced on 04/02 she told me it is for I-485,not N400 applicants,i tried to convence her that it is for N400,i asked her to let me talk to IO,she told me "HE wont do u any help,and he will tell you what i am telling you",i hanged up :mad:
This is the funny part:
I called yestrday(Friday 09/05),talked to an agent i told her about the FBI/Uscis join plan ,she denied that ,then i had to read it to her all online,till she believed me,she tranfered me to an IO,he told me that my name was cleared since June/18.and we sent you 2nd FP notice ,and my appoitment is on 09/08/2008!
I told him i did not receive any letters from You,so i have to reschedule it.

I have this question:How long it usually takes to get ID after 2nd FP?

Good luck

N400-05/10/2006
FP done:06/20/2006
IL;????????
ID?????????

Hi all,

I just want to share with you what happened with me with USCIS!
I called #800 and pla pla pla ,till i talked to one of the agents,she told me that nothing in my case ,still pending FBI NC...Etc,i told her about the joint plan FBI and USCIS announced on 04/02 she told me it is for I-485,not N400 applicants,i tried to convence her that it is for N400,i asked her to let me talk to IO,she told me "HE wont do u any help,and he will tell you what i am telling you",i hanged up :mad:
This is the funny part:
I called yestrday(Friday 09/05),talked to an agent i told her about the FBI/Uscis join plan ,she denied that ,then i had to read it to her all online,till she believed me,she tranfered me to an IO,he told me that my name was cleared since June/18.and we sent you 2nd FP notice ,and my appoitment is on 09/08/2008!
I told him i did not receive any letters from You,so i have to reschedule it.

I have this question:How long it usually takes to get ID after 2nd FP?

Good luck

N400-05/10/2006
FP done:06/20/2006
IL;????????
ID?????????

First line reps and even IOs always don't know about official department memos. The first agent thought you were referring to an earlier memo which stated that I-485 applications would not be delayed for adjudication while a name check is pending.

As for ID after 2nd FP, it depends on DO interview availability, but somewhere between 1-3 months seems to be the norm.

mommym: Welcome over from VJ. I will update your name for the next edition of the spreadsheet. At the speed with which Seattle DO has moved recently, I wouldn't be surprised if you got your IL in the next month or two.

san000: congratulations on finally emerging from the name check black hole - and well done for having another go at the NCS 800 number. As Bobsmyth points out, the call center staff (and even the IOs) are not always 100% on the ball, which it is why it is important to have the relevant documents to hand. This development should give hope to FlyingTurk, too.

As for 2nd FP to ID, I don't have data to hand and it is probably rare enough that it would be difficult to get a real handle on it. That said, Bobsmyth's 1-3 months sounds about right. The long delay from an original FP to ID is partly due to the name check process but you are already through that. Further, Seattle DO finally seems to be making good progress on its backlog and remember that there are dramatically fewer applicants in the PD months now being processed compared to the prior months. Hence I don't think your wait will be interminable. Keep us posted on your progress.

One final thought: if your 2nd FP is on 9/8 and you can organize your life appropriately, you might still be able to have your FPs done on Monday, thus avoiding the delay involved in rescheduling the FP. Not sure what the hours of the NCS 800-line is but you could call them to find out what time your appointment is and then try to get in even without an actual appointment letter, explaining your situation to the gatekeepers. Probably a long shot but perhaps worth a try?

--J--

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting events took place last week:
- Sept. 9th I got furloughed from my airline job. Basically lost my job with recall rights.
- Sept 10th I traveled back home to Seattle from Richmond, VA after 8 hours of commute.
Checked the mail and saw a letter from USCIS. WTF!!!? I was expecting an IL but it was a notice for a 2nd finger prints.
Weird thing was it was sent on Aug 28th and I received it on Sep. 10th. Finger print appointed that they want me to show for was on Sept. 11th..

So, I got my second set of finger prints but no interview yet.

I also called USCIS 800th number and the representative said he couldn't tell me anything because my 45 days of waiting period was ending on the 13th. (I called around late July or early Aug where the rep said 'We haven't received anything from FBI')

Still waiting..

Now that i have lost my travel benefits, i will be doing one last trip to Turkey for mom.

Good luck to the people who have their interviews..

FlyingTurk

PS: Jelly, thanks for the supporting words, mean a lot .

I got my interview done today and now have Oath on September 25.

Interview went just fine and there was no problem. I was asked to read a simple english sentence and then write a sentence. There were few questions asked from the civic test. The only thing I would like to recommend is to keep copies of all the important documents with you. Even though I sent copies of all the documents with the application but this person either didn't have it or couldn't find it so I gave him copies of some documents I took with me.

N400 Sent : 2007/08/30
PD : 2007/10/30
NOA : 2007/11/15
FP Notice : 2007/11/23
FP 2nd Notice : 2008/1/18 [FP delayed for being out of country]
FP : 2008/02/08
IL : 2008/07/18
ID : 2008/09/16
OD: 2008/09/25

I went onto the USCIS site to check my case and it has changed. It has gone from received and pending to -
Validation Error. You must correct the following error(s) before processing. Case status retrieval failed. The status for this receipt number is incomplete at this time in this automated system and can not be displayed. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center.

So does anyone know what this means? Should I be trying to contact the customer service? Am I getting close to an interview? Hmm....
Thanks all.

I went onto the USCIS site to check my case and it has changed. It has gone from received and pending to -
Validation Error. You must correct the following error(s) before processing. Case status retrieval failed. The status for this receipt number is incomplete at this time in this automated system and can not be displayed. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center.

So does anyone know what this means? Should I be trying to contact the customer service? Am I getting close to an interview? Hmm....
Thanks all.

It looks like you will be receiving your Interview Letter in a few days. Congratulations! Please post your N-400 timeline.

Sirch320
Thanks for the info.

Here is my N-400 timeline -
03/28/08 - Received date
03/28/08 - Priority date
04/03/08 - Notice date
04/24/08 - 1st Fingerprinting
05/14/08 - 2nd Fingerprinting (FBI was unable to process the 1st)
Waiting for IL

Jelly213 got the IL? Congratulations! :)

Flying Turk - hang in man, you will get it (2nd FP usually will bring IL for you)

Update to Jelly - my wife got her Oath Letter after 3 months of waiting after the interview got over. Oath scheduled for Oct 2. Letter was received around 5 days back.

Well, sirch320 you were right. I received my IL today. The notice date is September 15th, 2008. The ID is Monday, November 17 - 10:00 am.

Update from Anxious1

Received my 2nd FP a few weeks back.
Around 2 weeks after my 2nd FP I recieived
my interview letter.

Interview is for Oct 01 2008.

My RD/PD for N400 is Jan 2007