• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

school & goverment loan

jayo2k

Registered Users (C)
Hello, need help from people who are allready in the states:

Is getting a credit card (visa) is easy when you first arrive or would we have to wait to build our credit score?

Is getting a student loan easy for newcomer? Because the first thing I want to do when I hit the States is going to college

Its likely that you only get a secured credit card. Dont know anything about student loans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tazmania, which state approved you for In-State tuition and what procedure did you follow to get that. You can PM me if you want.

NY State, you need to work that out with the univeristy face to face. Its not easy but possible.

I found it hard to get a credit card here. In fact I still don't have one. Any bank you go to, they check your credit score, and since you have none, they refuse a credit card. I tried it a few times with different banks, no luck. However my friend, who is also on a Student visa here applied with Capital One and received a card from the first attempt. One bank worker gave me an advice to apply for a secure credit card. By using it for about a year you can build your credit score and then apply for a credit card.
My friend (also a DV lottery winner) was eligible to apply for financial aid when she came to the States.. You may consider that

I found it hard to get a credit card here. In fact I still don't have one. Any bank you go to, they check your credit score, and since you have none, they refuse a credit card. I tried it a few times with different banks, no luck. However my friend, who is also on a Student visa here applied with Capital One and received a card from the first attempt. One bank worker gave me an advice to apply for a secure credit card. By using it for about a year you can build your credit score and then apply for a credit card.
My friend (also a DV lottery winner) was eligible to apply for financial aid when she came to the States.. You may consider that
What is a secured card? & Also the financial aid is for student? How much did she get?
thanks

Is getting a student loan easy for newcomer? Because the first thing I want to do when I hit the States is going to college

Back of the line newcomer! To first of all be eligible for instate tution you need to of at least resided in the state you wish to go to college to for one whole year. You need to prove you have been residing in the state by showing rental, utilities receipts, possessions you bought and all that other Jazz. Unless you're willing to pay triple the fees of the college which I doubt you will. Once then you need to find a way to support yourself in college with this land of unemployment where money is very tight here. College does not really help you here but it really all depends what you're studying and if your qualifications are sufficient here. That's just my two cents anyway.

Secured card is when you put the money into your account first and then you use them for your payments. If you put $500 you can only use up to $500, or you can deposit more. If bank sees that you are responsible with your payments they reward you by increasing your credit line. It's more like a debit card (which you can get with no problems btw) The only thing, the use of debit card will not increase your credit score but secured credit card will. On the other hand when you use a credit card you borrow money from the bank (instead of depositing your own first) and pay back at the end of the month.
The other way to get a credit card is to get somebody who knows you and trusts you sign you up on their credit card. If you have a relative or a VEERY good friend they could probably do it for you.
Financial aid is a help for students who do not have a job that pays well or parents here to support them. She studies at CUNY college, tuition is not that high there (I think sligtly over $2000 a semester), so financial aid covers her whole tuition. You will need to find out with the college if you qualify.

Secured card is when you put the money into your account first and then you use them for your payments. If you put $500 you can only use up to $500, or you can deposit more. If bank sees that you are responsible with your payments they reward you by increasing your credit line. It's more like a debit card (which you can get with no problems btw) The only thing, the use of debit card will not increase your credit score but secured credit card will. On the other hand when you use a credit card you borrow money from the bank (instead of depositing your own first) and pay back at the end of the month.
The other way to get a credit card is to get somebody who knows you and trusts you sign you up on their credit card. If you have a relative or a VEERY good friend they could probably do it for you.
Financial aid is a help for students who do not have a job that pays well or parents here to support them. She studies at CUNY college, tuition is not that high there (I think sligtly over $2000 a semester), so financial aid covers her whole tuition. You will need to find out with the college if you qualify.
Microelectronic enginering I will study.
CUNY, I know that college, it is in southside queens (jamaica, hollis), My girlfriend concider attending this college

University in Canada is better than colleges in the United States.

Depend on what university... the ranking put american universities way higher than canadian ones... The highest canadian one is York university (or toronto university not sure) & it is not that high in north america... sure there are very good canadian universities but can't compare against USC, UCLA, Georgetown, MIT, ect...
& Also studying in Canada is overall more expensive since the living cost is way higher in Canada than usa (I know for a fact since I studied 1 semester at HEC Montreal last fall & got accepted at UQAM (Université du Quebec à Montreal))...
If you put into concideration the electric bills (very high especialy during the long winter months), the internet wich is also too high, the cellphone, the food, the clothing (the only way to get nice clothes in montreal is either spend lot of money in special shops or cross the southern border to usa... & adding the fact that I am not allowed to work the first 6 months then when i do get the work permit, i will be limited to 20h per week... Canada is more like a back up choice for thoses who can't get into the usa & it is no secret... Now the canadian/usa rivality, personaly i do not care

Back of the line newcomer! To first of all be eligible for instate tution you need to of at least resided in the state you wish to go to college to for one whole year. You need to prove you have been residing in the state by showing rental, utilities receipts, possessions you bought and all that other Jazz. Unless you're willing to pay triple the fees of the college which I doubt you will. Once then you need to find a way to support yourself in college with this land of unemployment where money is very tight here. College does not really help you here but it really all depends what you're studying and if your qualifications are sufficient here. That's just my two cents anyway.
the first year i will be able to pay my study since i will have my saving & hopefully find a job, but for the second year will be diferent, a loan could very well help me
& i will study microenginering

If you put into concideration the electric bills (very high especialy during the long winter months), the internet wich is also too high, the cellphone, the food, the clothing (the only way to get nice clothes in montreal is either spend lot of money in special shops or cross the southern border to usa... & adding the fact that I am not allowed to work the first 6 months then when i do get the work permit, i will be limited to 20h per week... Canada is more like a back up choice for thoses who can't get into the usa & it is no secret...

lulz. Yes and the roads in America are painted with gold :cool: Very cheap here.

Not... You will see how tough it is when you move here anyway. I hate how naive some people can be on these forums lulz. I find it funny people think America is super cheap. You will eventually find out that just about any city in America can be expensive as Montreal.

If you put into concideration

the internet wich is also too high

It's "consideration" and "which" so I doubt you will even get into a decent university with your poor grammar and spelling so forget that.

lulz. Yes and the roads in America are painted with gold :cool: Very cheap here.

Not... You will see how tough it is when you move here anyway. I hate how naive some people can be on these forums lulz. I find it funny people think America is super cheap. You will eventually find out that just about any city in America can be expensive as Montreal.

It's "consideration" and "which" so I doubt you will even get into a decent university with your poor grammar and spelling so forget that.
I will get some english courses first... & second, Internet is high, If you ever lived in canada you'll know that... 46$ for 5 mega internet with no wifi you call it cheap?
80$ cellphone bills for barely calling only because there is no unlimited plan & the internet keep increasing the bills you call it cheap?
& Also the fact that I can't work...
the clothes, I bough my clothes in new york because basicaly in Montreal there were none...
I spent like 3 weeks in New york & the only thing more expensive than Montreal was the rent... everything else was cheaper & especialy due to quebec high taxes (13.5% heading to 14% next year compared to 8 in new york, you do see the difference when you buy foods, fournitures ect...)
I know how montreal get a gold aura in peoples minds but hey, I spent 7 months there, & I tell you from what I've seen, it is expensive, just the rent are low, everything else is expensive... the gas is high, the taxes are high, the internet, electric bills, phone bills, fournitures ect are high.. There is a reason why many peoples buy stuff from another canadian province

& Also when I see some americans complaining about how expensive life can be I keep saying to myself that you will never make it in europe... NEVER because if you find america expensive then europe is on another galaxy especialy due to its conciderably high taxes (21 to 26%...)... That's funny because on the bus to New york, I was talking with a man & he was complaining about the gas prices & I told him "What are you complaining about? 4.4$ a galon is very cheap, in France we pay like 9$ a galon so..."
Believe me, if you find america expensive then do never think about moving to europe, you will never make it... everything is like 20 to 50% more expensive... I remember when I got back to paris, my sister was looking at some shoes & I was like "dan that's too expensive".. & she reply "that's cheap, stop whining"... Because I did shoping in new york before so when I came back, everything was too expensive... Ipad 2 cost like 700$ here, macbook about 4 to 500$ more here, rent... if you live in the parisian region, forget about getting a 1 bdr flat for less than 1000$ outside paris & not less than 1800 inside paris... Like we say, everything is relative... for someone who lived all his life in a low unemployement rate (like 5%), when he sudently get 8%, for him the world come to an end but for someone like me who comes from a place with an unemployement rate always at 10%, when I see 8, I'm in heaven...
It's all perspection... Believe me, usa ain't expensive at all, come to europe & you will see what expensive realy means
there is a reason why people from canada & especialy from europe, everytime they go to usa, they buy everything they can to open a shop back home... I know plenty of peoples who did that.. they went to new york bought many many thing & headed back home selling them... I did that myself with the motorola xoom...

To first of all be eligible for instate tution you need to of at least resided in the state you wish to go to college to for one whole year. You need to prove you have been residing in the state by showing rental, utilities receipts, possessions you bought and all that other Jazz.
That are the, I call it regular terms, which I did not care much about. If you dont bother them you pay what they like to get. I went to the presidents office of the university and they worked it out with their lawyer and it was finally approved very quick as you see from my timeline.

That are the, I call it regular terms, which I did not care much about. If you dont bother them you pay what they like to get. I went to the presidents office of the university and they worked it out with their lawyer and it was finally approved very quick as you see from my timeline.
lol, there is that saying in france that says "newcomers knows the trick way better than thoses who've been there their entire life"... I do not know how but the reality is that they do... Many times I see some undocumented newcomers coming & in no time they have way more stuff than the ones who were there for year strugling.. & the regulation papers...

If you're only going to the states because you're thinking it's cheaper than prepare to have a huge shock. You do know were on the verge of depression and people are having trouble landing a decent salary or job in that matter. Have you been reading the news at all? That is the reason why so many people are complaining about the prices in the US because of the economy. Sure it's easy for you to say since you're from another country whose economy seems ok with decent salaries. Also you do know the difference between the health care in Canada and the United States right? Maybe educate yourself a bit more...

Internet is high, If you ever lived in canada you'll know that... 46$ for 5 mega internet with no wifi

LMFAO! WHAT ISP ARE YOU WITH?! I pay that much per month for internet and I get free wifi and 20MB broadband. You must be real bad with money because the prices of internet will be the same in the United States. I think you're exaggerating a bit.

come to europe before making statement, please, come here... I know peoples in usa... economy ok? watch euronews, you will se how messed up the economy is over here... Grece is on the verge of leaving the euro zone, France, spain, italy & portugal are in a critical state as well, uk is also in a bad shape... I know why I say the north american economy is better than the europe one...
You have a 9.1 unemployement rate... well, in france we have 10% for ages, since the end of WWII the unemployement rate is about 10%... right now spain has 20%, portugal about the same, they are also talking about leaving the euro zone... Believe me, your economy is very good compared to europe... the only thing that keep the french unemployement rate at 10% & not higher is because after a certain times, unemployed peoples are erased from the list...
The health care between canada & usa.. once again, go there, don't watch the news... Do you know that to see a doctor in canada you can wait up to 2 to 3 years?
The goverment basicaly send the Canadian to recieve medical threatement in USA...
& the healthcare.. You think it is free in Canada (as well as in europe)? Hell no, you pay it through taxes... It's like an assurance that you have no choice but to paying for it.. In usa you basicaly have the choice & most people do not choose it... I remember a story about a dude who couldn't afford to pay the medical bills & one guy told on TV "wait, you have gold teeth, jewleries but you don't have an assurance? Do you know the principe of priority"?
If tomorow the goverment do like europe, you will protest because you are allergic to taxes.. That what happened with the Obama medicare bill... You demonstrated because you do not like having people telling you what to do... In canada you have "free" healthcare but you pay for it through taxes, do not think it is free & also it is very bad, but I mean very bad, you wait for years to see a doctors because there is simply none, so the Harper administration send canadian to seek medicals threatements in usa...
If you're only going to the states because you're thinking it's cheaper than prepare to have a huge shock. You do know were on the verge of depression and people are having trouble landing a decent salary or job in that matter. Have you been reading the news at all? That is the reason why so many people are complaining about the prices in the US because of the economy. Sure it's easy for you to say since you're from another country whose economy seems ok with decent salaries. Also you do know the difference between the health care in Canada and the United States right? Maybe educate yourself a bit more...

Hello, need help from people who are allready in the states:

Is getting a credit card (visa) is easy when you first arrive or would we have to wait to build our credit score?

PLEASE AVOID CREDIT CARDS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!!! Student loans are must for some; indeed, look for in-state tuition, tuition waivers, scholarship, work/study,... and part time jobs. Please study about the collage you'll attend, your major, what classes you need to take... where to buy cheap books (online), and how you can do interships before you start your classes!! be smart or you will end up paying as much as i end up paying... that was too much but atleast i loved my university a lot :)

again STAY AWAY from credit cards... it is just BAD... learn to live below your needs!!! (remember, you have to pay back your loans and it can be half of your pay check or more... you do not want to go that way!)

wish you the best on your studies in advance!!