Santa Ana (OC), CA Time Line

iluvusa said:
We are extremely happy to report that my wife and I attended oath ceremony in Montebello, LA County, CA on Friday the 13th and were sworn in as US Citizens.

Even though it looked chaotic from outside, the whole event was organized extremley well. We were impressed with the USCIS officials the way they ran the whole operation.

Below is synopsis of our experience:

1. Our Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony (Form N-445) required us to be at the site by 1030 (Quiet Cannon Banquet Hall in Montebello. It is adjacent to Montebello Municipal Golf Course). Two weeks prior we ran several routes as to how to get to the place and timed different scenarios. I know this sounds like too much paranoia. When the day is one of the most important days of your life, who cares what anyone else thinks?. I live in Ladera Ranch. It is ~50 miles drive. In order to make the time, we decided we would leave home by 815AM which we promptly did! :)

2. The notice required us the bring the following:
-Questions in the back of notice answered.
-Permanent Green Card
-Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document
-Any Immigration Dcouments you may have
-If the naturalization application is on behalf of your child (Children), bring your child (children)
-other

We had all the documents in chronological order and nicely arranged in a 3 ring binders with sheet protectors. There were people in the line just had the notice/green card and nothing else. Some were trying to borrow pens so they answer the questions at the back of the notice. Don't be like that. Prepare whatever needs to signed and answered ahead of time in the comfort of your home.

3. As noted above in item 1, we left home around 815AM. We have 2 kids that were born here. Since kids are not allowed, we had taken a friend to tag along so she can baby sit while we were inside.

4. Because of the traffic, we got near the site around 10AM. We took 5N, Garfield Exit and went east. Quiet Cannon is on Via San Clemente very near to 60/Garfield.

5. On this particular day (Friday May 13), there were 3 batches of 900 people scheduled for oath ceremony 830am (report @ 730am), 1130am (report @ 1030am), and 230pm (report @ 130pm).

6. Garfield was literallly a parking lot as we approached Via San Clemente, and we were still quite a ways away from being able to make a left turn. It was 1020AM. The cars had't moved an inch. :confused:

7. We had our friend take over the reins, we got off the car and walked toward the building. We noticed a long line from Quiet Cannon banquet hall snaking down Via san Clemente to Garfield. There was a guy running up and down the line and announcing that all the 1030am appointments join the line. We were kind of kicking ourselves....May be we should've left at 730am instead of 815am!. Once the line started moving, it was n't bad at all. It turned out for every person that was to be sworn-in, there were gazillion people accompanying them. :( Before we were ushered into a series of tables (had #s like 000-150, 151-300...etc that represented last 3 digits of your Permanent Resident Card), our appointment time was verified. We went to our table and handed over our "Permanent Resident" card along with the oath letter. The lady at the table wrote "ok" on our letter and gave it back to us, and asked if anything has changed since our interview. We said no, and that was it. She directed us to another line that was entering the banquet hall. They didn't ask for any other documents. Considering the number of people being naturalized on that day, there is little time for them to do anything else.

8. We were seated in an orderly fashion at 11AM. There were a number of volunteers running up and down the isles handing over voter registration forms, passport forms, comment forms and a packet containing a letter from our president.

9. Exactly at 1130am, the US central district judge came in. We were asked to stand and there was an announcement that court was in session and honarable judge will preside over it. Right away, a motion was tabled. The motion was 900 people from around the world would be sworn in as US Citizens. The motion was accepted. The judge asked as to stand and administered the oath with our right hand raised. End of that we were declared as US Citizens. Following that there were speeches by various USCIS officials and then a video from the president.Finally there was pledge of allegiance. :cool:

10. After that we were asked to again go back to the tables to collect our naturalization certficates. We were let out of the banquet hall in an orderly fashion. It didn't take more than 20 minutes from the time ceremony ended to the time we collected our certificates. We were out by 1240PM. In all it took 2 Hours and 10 minutes from the time we joined the line. :) :) :)

Any questions regarding N-400, fingerprinting, interview experiences, oath ceremony experience, documents to be presented, how to organize the documents, upcoming oath ceremony dates etc. please post your message. I wil get back to you asap. :cool: :cool:

Best wishes to everyone out there who are still in the process of being naturalized. Remember "Patience is the Virtue".

Congratulations to you both. Even though my priority date is only 5 days later than yours and my interview was a day after yours I still have not received the oath letter. I agree that patience is a virtue especially when dealing with the USCIS...

Case Status at Santa Ana, CA

A friend of mine had the following timeline in
Santa Ana, CA:

Applied Date: 09/14/2004
FP Date: 01/05/05
Interview Date: 03/02/05

After the interview she was told to submit notarized photocopies
of her old passports. She did accordingly and the copies were
received by the INS on 03/16/05.

She has still not yet received the oath ceremony date.

She is anxious because she wants to apply for her husband's
work permit as his F-1 visa expires on 13th July, 2005.

Is anyone facing a similar situation?

She is presently visiting New Jersey for sometime. She
would like to know if there is anyway she can inquire
about the status of her case in Santa Ana,CA from New Jersey.

She called the INS but only reply she got was that
she would have to go to Santa Ana office personally
through InfoPass.

Can you please suggest any other way of her checking the
status from New Jersey?

Thanks,
patkt

i believe she has to make an Infopass appointment and go there personally.

patkt said:
A friend of mine had the following timeline in
Santa Ana, CA:

Applied Date: 09/14/2004
FP Date: 01/05/05
Interview Date: 03/02/05

After the interview she was told to submit notarized photocopies
of her old passports. She did accordingly and the copies were
received by the INS on 03/16/05.

She has still not yet received the oath ceremony date.

She is anxious because she wants to apply for her husband's
work permit as his F-1 visa expires on 13th July, 2005.

Is anyone facing a similar situation?

She is presently visiting New Jersey for sometime. She
would like to know if there is anyway she can inquire
about the status of her case in Santa Ana,CA from New Jersey.

She called the INS but only reply she got was that
she would have to go to Santa Ana office personally
through InfoPass.

Can you please suggest any other way of her checking the
status from New Jersey?

Thanks,
patkt

notarized photocopies of passports?

Hi all, I wonder if it is necessary to bring the notarized photocopies
of the old passports to the n400 interview?

i want to get prepared for the interview even thought i do not know when it is going to be.

how long would it be between FP and received Interview Notice?

how many weeks / months should i expect to wait for the interview notice after the FP was done?

my FP was done on 4/27/05. I think I am just being impatient?

Last edited by a moderator:
OCWorker,
It is not required to take the notarized copies of old passports. She was asked for it because she did not take her old passport with her.

Thanks,
patkt

Hi all,

I have few questions:

1.) What is namecheck process that I keep on reading in many forums on this site? When does it take place - before/after the interview? How long does it take?

2.) I see that many people mention in there timeline that their FP was sent to FBI on this particular date. How does one know that?

3.)How does one know the status of your namecheck process?

Thanks,
patkt

patkt said:
OCWorker,
It is not required to take the notarized copies of old passports. She was asked for it because she did not take her old passport with her.

Thanks,
patkt

thanks patkt.

hope your friend can get thru her naturalization process asap. btw, i am not sure if her friend can go to the Infopass appointment for her and ask questions thou. may be her friend needs to have an notarized letter to mention about she authorizes her friend xxx to ask questions xxx.

not sure if it works. i hate to see her flyin back just for the infopass, if she cannot even get any answers (or just a typical answer.. "wait"..or "we are working on it"...) especially she has to make a trip back.

I just received the NOA for Interview. The notice was dated on May 23, 2005. It was mailed out on May 24,2005 and I received it today (May 25, 2005).

ocworker said:
I just received the NOA for Interview. The notice was dated on May 23, 2005. It was mailed out on May 24,2005 and I received it today (May 25, 2005).

Congratulation OC.. So Santa Ana is also moving fast. I havenot got mine from SanDiego yet. My FP Was done on May 7th and FBI send back results same day.

Keep us posted about your interview details.

SDQmer said:
Congratulation OC.. So Santa Ana is also moving fast. I havenot got mine from SanDiego yet. My FP Was done on May 7th and FBI send back results same day.

Keep us posted about your interview details.

will do. :)

hope you will get your notice soon.

Question to OCWorker

Hi,

After u get your interview letter did your Online status changed or Still it is showing standard msg, saying that 330-360 days after filing ur case.....

I havenot got mine yet.

SDQmer said:
Hi,

After u get your interview letter did your Online status changed or Still it is showing standard msg, saying that 330-360 days after filing ur case.....

I havenot got mine yet.

I never been able to add the case to my online acct until the date i received the interview notice. however, after i added it to my acct, i clicked the link (receipt number) and it said the status does not exist.

ocworker said:
I never been able to add the case to my online acct until the date i received the interview notice. however, after i added it to my acct, i clicked the link (receipt number) and it said the status does not exist.

Hi,

I got my GC thru VSC, about a year back we relocated to Southern California. I wonder whether this slows down my N-400 processing time. The reason is : some of SanDiego people got their interview letter with in 2 weeks of their Fping, we did ours a bout 3 weeks (working weeks) back, we didnot hear anything yet..

:)

SDQmer said:
Hi,

I got my GC thru VSC, about a year back we relocated to Southern California. I wonder whether this slows down my N-400 processing time. The reason is : some of SanDiego people got their interview letter with in 2 weeks of their Fping, we did ours a bout 3 weeks (working weeks) back, we didnot hear anything yet..

:)

I applied my GC in atlanta but I went thru the CP for interview. I moved to S. Ca about 3 years ago. i do not think it would slow down your processing time that much thou. the worst is they would have to request the file from VSC for you.

Who sets up interview DO or service center?

I guess interview letter comes from service center. so it must be service center!!!

Any comments OCworker

SDQmer said:
Who sets up interview DO or service center?

I guess interview letter comes from service center. so it must be service center!!!

Any comments OCworker

i wish i knew.

I received my oath notice for June 23-rd. From start to finish my case took almost 7 months. Here is my updated timeline.
N400 mailed: 11/29/04
N400 Received: 12/1/04
PD: 12/1/04
FP: 1/6/04
interview: 3/29/05
Oath: 6/23/05

mandeson said:
I had my interview at the Santa Ana office almost a month ago.
Waited about 30 min before being called. Interview started with the officer giving me one page with 10 questions from the 100 standard and asking me to verbally answer them. I then had to write a sentence in English.
She proceeded to go over my application and spend extra time on the periods outside US while trying to match the stamps on my passport. They had to match exactly before moving on to the next topic on the application. Interview took almost 30 minutes after which she gave the form which basically says to wait for the oath ceremony notice. As of today I have not received my notice and I am wondering if I'll be inluded in the mid-May or end of May ceremonies...

Here is my timeline:

mandeson said:
I received my oath notice for June 23-rd. From start to finish my case took almost 7 months. Here is my updated timeline.

congrat!!! it is so exciting to know ppl from Santa Aan DO is getting oath letter. It is almost a 2.5 months for you to get you oath letter.

I think I am going to list out the stamps on my passport on a separate piece of paper which should match with my travel dates listed on N400.

let us know how your oath went after 6/23/05.

mandeson

mandeson said:

Hi mandeson

can you share your experience on the parking when you went there for an interview appt? was it ok (easy to find place to park) or bad ?

i read the "About Us" which is about Santa Ana office. They said they have the meter parking, and also public parking for fee. are both parking places close to Santa Ana Sub Office?

I *guess* the parking might not be a problem to me since I will have a 7:20am appointment. Hopefully I can get there with no traffic and easy to find a spot to park. Also, what time was your interview?