Santa Ana (OC), CA Time Line

simidude said:
Questions for OC worker and others?

Does the automated message change (for the N400 application) after the USCIS sends finger printing request. Pl let me know thanks

what automated message? were you referring to the online status?

i have not got the online status shown for my n400 application thou. since i got the finger prints done, all i can do is just "wait". :(

i think you should be getting your FP notice soon (or should be around mid-may). however, i do not know if the progress would be different from DO to DO. I am with Santa Ana DO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am referring to caling the National Customer Service and checking the status on the phone. Right now it says "Your application is received and it will take 330 - 360 days"

I am able to see my status with ONLINE status Check Web page ( saying that the CSC received my appplication 0n 04/15/2005)

Thanks in advance for your reply.

ocworker said:
what automated message? were you referring to the online status?

i have not got the online status shown for my n400 application thou. since i got the finger prints done, all i can do is just "wait". :(

i think you should be getting your FP notice soon (or should be around mid-may). however, i do not know if the progress would be different from DO to DO. I am with Santa Ana DO.

simidude said:
I am referring to caling the National Customer Service and checking the status on the phone. Right now it says "Your application is received and it will take 330 - 360 days"

I am able to see my status with ONLINE status Check Web page ( saying that the CSC received my appplication 0n 04/15/2005)

the status on the phone won't vary (if any) much than the one online, but from my experience with many many cases, including myself, after you are scheduled for the interview, the last date you would see is the date the service center mailes your interview letter. After that , the DO will take over your case from there, therefore, no updates, neither on the phone, nor online, will be made on your case.
Hope that helps.

simidude said:

I applied in December and have never been able to check the status of my application online. Some service centers just don't provide that capability. As for calling them I tried last week to inquire about my oath ceremony date and the operator referred me to the current processing dates that are on the USCIS website. Either way you slice it it takes around six months for normal naturalization cases in SoCal.

santa Ana

I had appeared for the interview for citizenship along with my wife on March 29. She got her notice for the oath ceremony but i am still waiting. Does any one of you foresee a problem in my case. She got the letter on 4/16

mandeson said:
I applied in December and have never been able to check the status of my application online. Some service centers just don't provide that capability. As for calling them I tried last week to inquire about my oath ceremony date and the operator referred me to the current processing dates that are on the USCIS website. Either way you slice it it takes around six months for normal naturalization cases in SoCal.

mandeson said:
Seems like things moved very fast in your case. I only had my interview a day later than you and I am still waiting for the notice. Have you been able to check the status online? I have a receipt number that starts with WSC and my case does not seem to be in the system.

arunita said:
I had appeared for the interview for citizenship along with my wife on March 29. She got her notice for the oath ceremony but i am still waiting. Does any one of you foresee a problem in my case. She got the letter on 4/16

I also had my interview on March 29-th. Have not heard anything yet. When is your wife scheduled for the oath ceremony? Did you interview at Santa Ana?

mandeson said:
I also had my interview on March 29-th. Have not heard anything yet. When is your wife scheduled for the oath ceremony? Did you interview at Santa Ana?
Mandenson and arunita,
what did the interviewer tell you at the end of your interview?

arunita said:

is your name check cleared?

sony55 said:
Mandenson and arunita,

i would tend to believe if everything went fine (including name check cleared aleady), the interviewer would tell them to expect the oath letter in such and such weeks. at least it is how my friend was told after her interview. she was told she should be expecting to receive her oath letter within 3 weeks. she got it within 10 days after her interview. she had her oath 2-3 weeks after her interview. i think it was only a week apart between she got her oath letter till oath date. she is in NYC

sony55 said:
Mandenson and arunita,

She did not tell me much at all. Handed me the paper which says "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval".
Told me to contact them if I don't hear anything within 120 days.

mandeson said:
I thought the name check takes place before the interview...

it takes place before the interview but it does not necessary to be completed before the interview.

mandeson said:
She did not tell me much at all. Handed me the paper which says "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval".
Told me to contact them if I don't hear anything within 120 days.

then contact DO after 120 days if you still have not heard from them.

after i revisited the thread again, even thought only 2-3 people posted the timeline about Santa Ana DO, seems it is around 2-3 months apart between the FP and interview day.

I had my FP last week 4/27. I hope i will have my interview by end of July. crossing fingers.

i encourage more people who is going to have / or had interview in Santa Ana DO to share your timeline here :)

thanks in advance

iluvusa

iluvusa said:
Submitted 11/24/04
Priority Date 11/26/04
Fingerprint 12/24/04
Interview 03/28/05 (The interview lasted less than 15 minutes. Any Qs please post your message. I will provide minute details of the interview.)
Oath Ceremony Notice 04/18/05
Oath Ceremony Scheduled for 05/13/05

Both my wife and I sent our applications together. We had our interviews on the same day (03/28/05), and received the oath notices same day (04/18/05) as well. We are extremely excited to become US Citizens. We consider it our honor and previlege. This is the greatest country in the world. Go USA!

where is your oath ceremony going to be?

Oath Ceremony Experience @ Montebello, CA

We are extremely happy to report that my wife and I attended oath ceremony in Montebello, LA County, CA on Friday the 13th and were sworn in as US Citizens.

Even though it looked chaotic from outside, the whole event was organized extremley well. We were impressed with the USCIS officials the way they ran the whole operation.

Below is synopsis of our experience:

1. Our Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony (Form N-445) required us to be at the site by 1030 (Quiet Cannon Banquet Hall in Montebello. It is adjacent to Montebello Municipal Golf Course). Two weeks prior we ran several routes as to how to get to the place and timed different scenarios. I know this sounds like too much paranoia. When the day is one of the most important days of your life, who cares what anyone else thinks?. I live in Ladera Ranch. It is ~50 miles drive. In order to make the time, we decided we would leave home by 815AM which we promptly did! :)

2. The notice required us the bring the following:
-Questions in the back of notice answered.
-Permanent Green Card
-Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document
-Any Immigration Dcouments you may have
-If the naturalization application is on behalf of your child (Children), bring your child (children)
-other

We had all the documents in chronological order and nicely arranged in a 3 ring binders with sheet protectors. There were people in the line just had the notice/green card and nothing else. Some were trying to borrow pens so they answer the questions at the back of the notice. Don't be like that. Prepare whatever needs to signed and answered ahead of time in the comfort of your home.

3. As noted above in item 1, we left home around 815AM. We have 2 kids that were born here. Since kids are not allowed, we had taken a friend to tag along so she can baby sit while we were inside.

4. Because of the traffic, we got near the site around 10AM. We took 5N, Garfield Exit and went east. Quiet Cannon is on Via San Clemente very near to 60/Garfield.

5. On this particular day (Friday May 13), there were 3 batches of 900 people scheduled for oath ceremony 830am (report @ 730am), 1130am (report @ 1030am), and 230pm (report @ 130pm).

6. Garfield was literallly a parking lot as we approached Via San Clemente, and we were still quite a ways away from being able to make a left turn. It was 1020AM. The cars had't moved an inch. :confused:

7. We had our friend take over the reins, we got off the car and walked toward the building. We noticed a long line from Quiet Cannon banquet hall snaking down Via san Clemente to Garfield. There was a guy running up and down the line and announcing that all the 1030am appointments join the line. We were kind of kicking ourselves....May be we should've left at 730am instead of 815am!. Once the line started moving, it was n't bad at all. It turned out for every person that was to be sworn-in, there were gazillion people accompanying them. :( Before we were ushered into a series of tables (had #s like 000-150, 151-300...etc that represented last 3 digits of your Permanent Resident Card), our appointment time was verified. We went to our table and handed over our "Permanent Resident" card along with the oath letter. The lady at the table wrote "ok" on our letter and gave it back to us, and asked if anything has changed since our interview. We said no, and that was it. She directed us to another line that was entering the banquet hall. They didn't ask for any other documents. Considering the number of people being naturalized on that day, there is little time for them to do anything else.

8. We were seated in an orderly fashion at 11AM. There were a number of volunteers running up and down the isles handing over voter registration forms, passport forms, comment forms and a packet containing a letter from our president.

9. Exactly at 1130am, the US central district judge came in. We were asked to stand and there was an announcement that court was in session and honarable judge will preside over it. Right away, a motion was tabled. The motion was 900 people from around the world would be sworn in as US Citizens. The motion was accepted. The judge asked as to stand and administered the oath with our right hand raised. End of that we were declared as US Citizens. Following that there were speeches by various USCIS officials and then a video from the president.Finally there was pledge of allegiance. :cool:

10. After that we were asked to again go back to the tables to collect our naturalization certficates. We were let out of the banquet hall in an orderly fashion. It didn't take more than 20 minutes from the time ceremony ended to the time we collected our certificates. We were out by 1240PM. In all it took 2 Hours and 10 minutes from the time we joined the line. :) :) :)

Any questions regarding N-400, fingerprinting, interview experiences, oath ceremony experience, documents to be presented, how to organize the documents, upcoming oath ceremony dates etc. please post your message. I wil get back to you asap. :cool: :cool:

Best wishes to everyone out there who are still in the process of being naturalized. Remember "Patience is the Virtue".

Last edited by a moderator: