San Jose, CA office and name change option

Noman74

Registered Users (C)
I heard some offices do not offer name change option during citizenship interview.

1. Is San Jose office one of them?
2. Does name change slow down the process of your application?
3. Do they conduct interviews at the s.j court for name change applicants?

thanks

The name change option is part of the N-400 application process. Whether you request it on application or at interview makes no difference since your actual name change only becomes valid once you perform the oath.

The name change option is part of the N-400 application process. Whether you request it on application or at interview makes no difference since your actual name change only becomes valid once you perform the oath.

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply. I guess what i would like to know is " do they conduct name change oaths at San Jose office or they forward those cases to the nearest Fed Court for oath ceremony?". thanks

To change a name what is the legal procedure? I want to change my name.
Just mentioning my new name will do or is there something else that needs to be done.

I don't think you can do a name change through the San Jose office. I don't think San Jose office schedules any court naturalization anymore :( It has been this for a few years already. You might want to Google or look it up in this forum. For full disclosure I have to say that I didn't attempt a name change either before, during, or after naturalization.

I got this from an older post. I don't know if this might have changed recently, but I haven't heard anything contrary to this information:

Q. Why can’t I change my name during the citizenship process?
A. The U.S. Northern California District Court previously presided over the naturalization of new citizens in the San Jose jurisdiction. However, in August 2004, this court decided that they would no longer participate or preside over the naturalization of new citizens of the San Jose USCIS office. Their past involvement also included the authority to change names. USCIS does not have the authority to change names and as a result, name changes cannot be made in our office. Persons interested in changing their name must do so with the State of California prior to or after becoming naturalized.

Last edited by a moderator: