08/12/09 : NOA received
08/13/09 : Online status updated to RFE
08/17/09 : FP notice received
09/08/09 : FP appointment
??/??/09: FP completed
??/??/09 : IL received
??/??/?? : Inteview date

Traffice Ticket

I am done with interview and waiting for OATH. I got a traffic ticket, if i pay and go to OATH, Any Impact on OATH.

No need to worry..declare it on oath letter and let the IO know you have paid it. Better yet bring the receipt as well.

I mailed on 8/7 too, check cashed 08/14

Check cashed finally. My check was cashed manually (not via EFT) for some reason.

BTW, I don't know why I'm so concerned about the progress.
We have waited (been too lazy) for 7 years and recently decided to do it.

DISTRICT OFFICE: SAN JOSE, CA

05/28/2009 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix (FeDex Overnight) (DAY 01)
05/29/2009 - N-400 Application Received (Phoenix AZ) (DAY 02)
05/29/2009 - Priority Letter Date (Day 02)
06/02/2009 - I-797C Notice of Action Letter Date (Day 06)
06/04/2009 - Check Cashed (Day 08)
06/06/2009- Received I-797 Notice of Action Letter-----------(Day 10)
06/12/2009- Rec'd I-797C NOA Fingerprint Notice Date ------------(Day 16)
06/15/2009- Rec'd I-797C NOA Fingerprint Notice Letter Received--- (Day 19)
06/25/2009- Fingerprint Scheduled Date--------------------------------(Day 29)
06/18/2009- FingerPrint done -------------------------------------------(Day 22)
07/10/2009- Interview Notice Letter------------------------------------(Day 44)
08/19/2009- Interview Date---------------------------------------------(Day 85)
XX/XX/XX Oath Letter Rec'd-------------------------------(Day XX)
XX/XX/XX Oath Ceremony -------------------------------- (Day XX)

I just had my interview today at Monterey Street, San Jose CA at 8:40 AM. I arrived at the parking lot at exactly 8 AM. I stayed for another 15 minutes inside my car trying to relax my mind. I finally went inside the building at around 8:15AM. The security guard checked my interview notice, asked me to go to 2nd floor, room 219, window 1. I went straight to the second floor. My name was called at exactly 8:40 AM. There about 15-20 people inside the room waiting... I was interviewed by a female IO. She asked me to raised my right hand and to tell the truth. She asked me for my passport, DL, and GC. She went thru my application form (verified the dates I was out of the country and checked against my passport). My N400 is based on marriage to a US Citizen, So she asked if my husband & I were still married, She asked me for the tax return transcripts, bank accounts etc. to proved that the marriage was not a fraud. Then she asked me the civic questions: 6/10 all are correct!!! yay!
1. What is an amendment?
2. What is the supreme law of the land?
3. What is capital of the California?
4. Who vetoes bill?
5. Who did the US fight in WWII?
6. What did the Declaration of Independence?

Then, she asked me to read a sentence then asked me to write. She updated her files in the computer then gave me a paper stating that I passed with flying colors!!!! woot.. woot... Now, I will be patiently waiting for my Oath letter....

To Greenmushroom:

You've mentioned that during your interview, you were interviewed by a female IO. I wonder if she was the same IO that interviewed me.

the IO who interviewed me was also a female. Very cordial and friendly. Last name begins with "C"

To Greenmushroom:

You've mentioned that during your interview, you were interviewed by a female IO. I wonder if she was the same IO that interviewed me.

8/20 here you come! I'll be there @ 1:00pm.... Where is my boys at, are we gonna celebrate or what?

I can't freaking wait...............

Interview experience (Passed - Recommended for Approval)

I and my spouse passed the interview today and the N-400 application has been recommended for approval.

We reached the San Jose DO early morning more than 30 minutes before my spouse's interview time. The security guard allowed us to enter only 20 minutes before my spouse's interview time. My interview time was 25 minutes later. We both placed the Interview Letters in a box placed at the window and waited for our names to be called. The IO called my spouse's name and took her to the office for the interview.

Here is my spouse's interview experience:
--------------------------------------

IO asked my spouse to raise the right hand and promise to speak the truth. Then IO asked her to show GC, DL and passport and started going through the N-400 application. Since my wife requested for name change (change the last name based on marriage), IO asked her to submit the marriage certificate. Since my wife accompanied me on my international assignment for < 1 year (2 trips with each trip < 6 months), IO asked her to submit tax returns for a couple of years even though we had an approved N-470. After completing the N-400 application review, IO asked her the the following civics questions:

--- There are 4 amendments related to voting. Name one of them
--- If the president can no longer serve, who becomes the President?
--- Name one right from the first amendment
--- What was the main concern during the cold war?
--- Who is in charge of the executive branch ?
-- ????????

She answered all the 6 questions correctly and also passed the reading/writing test. Then IO asked her to sign the photos, N-400 application and verify the name, DOB etc. that would be written on the Naturalization certificate. Finally IO handed her the form checking the box "Congratulations! Recommended for approval". The entire interview took around 20-25 minutes.

=============================================================

Here is my interview experience:

IO asked me to raise the right hand and promise to speak the truth. Then IO asked me to show GC, DL and passport and started going through the N-400 application. IO did not ask me for any documents as the IO was going through my application. IO asked me if I was arrested or jailed but did not ask me about the citation. Once the application was completely reviewed by IO, I voluntarily mentioned about the citation received almost a month back. IO asked if it was DUI related and I said "NO". Then she asked the reason for the citation and I mentioned that it was a "speeding ticket". Then she asked if I have paid the fine and I said "Yes". She did not ask me for any documentation related to the citation and was satisfied with my answers.

After completing the N-400 application, IO asked me the the following civics questions:

-- Whar are the first 10 amendments to the constitution called?
-- Who is the US president now?
-- Name one of the longest river?
-- When was the declaration of independence adopted?
-- For how many years do we elect a president?
-- Who is the speaker of the house now?

I answered all the 6 questions correctly and also passed the reading/writing test. Then IO asked me to sign the photos, N-400 application and verify the
name, DOB etc. that would be written on the Naturalization certificate. Finally IO handed me the form checking the box "Congratulations! Recommended for approval". The entire interview took around 10-15 minutes.

Thanks to a lot of people who have shared their experiences on this forum. I would like to especially thank Bobsmyth, JonnyCash and others who have promptly responded to my queries and concerns and guided us through the citizenship application process.

I and my spouse will now be patiently waiting for the Oath letter. Hopefully there is no delay in the final approval and getting the oath letter. Looking at some of the threads (http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=285462) it looks like that a very few unlucky people who had been "recommended for approval" had to wait for more than 90 days to get the oath letter. Not sure as to why this would happen if IO did not raise any concerns or issues during the interview and had recommended for approval.

Oath Tidbits on Aug 20

Most of the things have been discussed here before, a few quick notes

#1. My spouse's oath was 10 AM, mine was 1 PM. I requested them to accommodate me also at 10 AM. No problemo.

#2. Children can go with parents

#3. There is an observation gallery in the balcony area for family.

#4. At one point in the ceremony, people in the theater are requested to stand up in the order of their country (alphabetically). India had the big contingent, and there was a big laugh when half the theater got up.

#5. Despite India being the biggest group, the alternate languages used for instruction were Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese and Filipino (some dialect), but no Indian language. Guess all Indians speak English (mostly yes).

#6. My spouse's interview officer and my interview officer (2 separate individuals) were also there. Guess today is no interview day.

#7. Total of 425 people - citizens from 66 countries came in, and left as all americans. I am not sure if there are 2 ceremonies today, or 3. Assuming a 1000 people over 5 weeks (time difference between ceremonies), seems like they interview about 40-50 people per day (sounds low given the # officers they must be having).

#8. Big 200+ people crowd lined up well before 9:30 AM.

spouse's case updated

Received the following email for spouse's case.

Application Type: N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Current Status: This case has been sent for a standard interview.

Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled. As part of our standard processing you will be sent a notice when the interview is scheduled, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address. We process each kind of case in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oath Letter received for my spouse (and not for me) today. Oath is scheduled on Sep 11th at Monterey highway office, San Jose.
This is pretty fast - we had our interview last friday (08/14).

Also, the letter came addressed with the new name which my spouse specified at the time of the interview.