San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

got it. thanks
Also, since I am applying on the basis of 5 years, i assume all I need is the form, the check and copies of the PR card. right?

Expecting 20Aug09 Oath Date

Some interesting observations about my case (ND 3/18/2009, ID: 6/30/2009). I called the 800 number on Friday morning. Spoke with the second level agent, he told me my case was approved on July 6, 2009. However, he wasn't sure why the IO did not schedule the oath. Anyway, up until then, my online case status was still showing "Application received on March 18..." On Saturday (Aug. 8) the status was updated to "Application has been sent to a local office for the standard interview." The last updated date also changed to 8/8/2009.

I went to the local office again this morning to make inquiries. The guy was a bit rude and giving flat answers such as "you just have to wait..."

I pressed him a bit by saying that I suspected my file was lost... in response he took a print out from the system and showed me that the file is still with the IO and she access it on Friday at 3:45 PM. I then asked if it was possible to send a note to the IO and he agreed. He filled a form with my details and told me that he was going to give it to the IO.

Anyway, i just checked the online status again. It showed the last updated date as "08/09/2009."
Generally the online status is not updated even after receiving the oath letter. Don't know why my online status is being updated so frequently. Still hopeful to receive the OL in time for Aug. 20 ceremony.

I am expecting the 20Aug09 Oath date as well. San Jose is a busy office but since mine is a very straight forward case I am expecting the letter.
Can you tell me how to call the 800 number.
What is the number to call the San Jose office to enquire about Oath letter.

GoodSaint & GreenMushroom & lukizen we share some common dates

Last edited by a moderator:
Document Checklist for Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

got it. thanks
Also, since I am applying on the basis of 5 years, i assume all I need is the form, the check and copies of the PR card. right?

Kairersoesce:- Here is the N-400 checklist... See what you need

Document Checklist for Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

All Applicants for Naturalization must send the following items with their N-400 application:
A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Card or "Green Card"). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt for your Form I-90, "Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card"; and
Two identical color photographs, with your name and "A-number" written lightly in pencil on the back of each photo. For details about the photo requirements, see Part 5 of A Guide to Naturalization and the Form M-603 instructions. Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo. If your religion requires you to wear a head covering, your facial features must still be exposed in the photo for purposes of identification; and
A check or money order for the application fee and the biometric services fee (Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from the biometrics services fee). Write your "A-number" on the back of the check or money order. The application fee is $595 and the biometrics services fee is $80. You may combine the fees into one check or money order. Make your check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."
Send copies of the following documents, unless we ask for an original.
If an attorney or accredited representative is acting on your behalf, send:
A completed original Form G-28, "Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative"

If your current legal name is different from the name on your Permanent Resident Card, send:
The document(s) that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document).

If you are applying for naturalization based on your marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following four items:
Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years:
Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or
Naturalization Certificate, or
Certificate of Citizenship, or
The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport, or
Form FS-240, "Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America," and
Your current marriage certificate, and
Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse - divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s); and
Documents referring to you and your spouse:
Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or
An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.
If you were married before, send:
Proof that all earlier marriages ended - divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s);

If you were previously in the U.S. military service, send:
A completed original Form G-325B, "Biographic Information."

If you are currently in the U.S. military service and are seeking citizenship based on that service, send:
A completed original Form N-426, "Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service;" and
A completed original Form G-325B, "Biographic Information."
If you have taken any trips outside the United States that lasted six months or more since becoming a Permanent Resident, send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:
An IRS tax return "transcript" or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last five years (or for the last three years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen).
Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs.
If you have a dependent spouse or children who do not live with you, send:
Any court or government order to provide financial support; and
Evidence of your financial support (including evidence that you have complied with any court or government order), such as:
Cancelled checks,
Money and receipts,
A court or agency printout of child support payments,
Evidence of wage garnishments,
A letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your children.
If you answer "Yes" to any of Questions 1 through 14 of Part 10 of form N-400, send:
A written explanation on a separate sheet of paper.

If you answer "No" to any of Questions 34 through 39 of Part 10 of form N-400, send:
A written explanation on a separate sheet of paper.

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and no charges were filed, send:
An original official statement by the arresting agency or applicant court confirming that no charges were filed.

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and charges were filed, send:
An original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition for each incident (dismissal order, conviction record or acquittal order).

If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug treatment or community service program), send:
An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident; and
Evidence that you completed your sentence:
An original or certified copy of your probation or parole record; or
Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program.
If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged or otherwise removed from your record, send:
An original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction, or

NOTE: If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you may send any countervailing evidence or evidence in your favor concerning the circumstances of your arrest and/or conviction that you would like USCIS to consider.

If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Permanent Resident, send:
All correspondence with the IRS regarding your failure to file.

If you have any federal, state or local taxes that are overdue, send:
A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and
Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.
NOTE: You may obtain copies of tax documents and tax information by contacting your local IRS offices, using the Blue Pages of your telephone directory, or through its website at www.iris.gov.

If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement, send:
An original Form N-648, "Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions," completed less than six months ago by a licensed medical or osteopathic doctor or licensed clinical psychologist.

If you did not register with the Selective Service and you (1) are male, (2) are 26 years old or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send:
A "Status Information Letter" from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-6888) for more information.

the "Last Updated" date in my cases has been changing every day since Aug 7. Don't know what's up.

Some interesting observations about my case (ND 3/18/2009, ID: 6/30/2009). I called the 800 number on Friday morning. Spoke with the second level agent, he told me my case was approved on July 6, 2009. However, he wasn't sure why the IO did not schedule the oath. Anyway, up until then, my online case status was still showing "Application received on March 18..." On Saturday (Aug. 8) the status was updated to "Application has been sent to a local office for the standard interview." The last updated date also changed to 8/8/2009.

I went to the local office again this morning to make inquiries. The guy was a bit rude and giving flat answers such as "you just have to wait..."

I pressed him a bit by saying that I suspected my file was lost... in response he took a print out from the system and showed me that the file is still with the IO and she access it on Friday at 3:45 PM. I then asked if it was possible to send a note to the IO and he agreed. He filled a form with my details and told me that he was going to give it to the IO.

Anyway, i just checked the online status again. It showed the last updated date as "08/09/2009."
Generally the online status is not updated even after receiving the oath letter. Don't know why my online status is being updated so frequently. Still hopeful to receive the OL in time for Aug. 20 ceremony.

how soon can i get passport?

Dear friends,

thanks for the useful information you posted here.

I have two questions:

1. on the interview date, after you pass the interview, can you disucss the
oath date with the officer , or the oath date will be specified on the oath letter you receive later?

2. how soon can we get the passport after the oath date? i heard we can
go to passport agency to apply passport, any friends had experience?

thanks a lot

Received Oath Letter for 20Aug09

I got the Oath letter for 20Aug09. Mine is a very straight forward case. I am single and most of my application is blank. My home address is same for 10 years. I guess this made the application process faster.

I got the Oath letter for 20Aug09. Mine is a very straight forward case. I am single and most of my application is blank. My home address is same for 10 years. I guess this made the application process faster.

:( so was mine...i'm just a student...my current country of citizenship shouldn't raise any red flags...i dont know what to do about this internship (which begins in October) that i've been offered, its so good, i cant' just give it up! its a year abroad, but i'm not going to leave the country until i get my citizenship...

should i make another appointment with infopass tomorrow? i was just there friday, and i dont want to piss them off, but i'm so angry! i thought at first i'd get the july ceremony, but when i didnt' it was no biggier. but i havent' even gotten a letter for the august ceremony which is making me anxioius!

---------------------------------------
03/12/2009 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix
03/16/2008 - Priority date
03/24/2009 - Check cashed
04/03/2009 - Notice Date of Fingerpoint
04/09/2009 - Fingerprint Notice received
04/22/2009 - Fingerprints taken
05/14/2009 - Case File Review Notice dated
05/18/2009 - Case File Review Notice received
05/20/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview dated
05/22/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview received
06/29/2009 - Interview Scheduled
**/**/*** - Oath Ceremony... ???????????????????

:( so was mine...i'm just a student...my current country of citizenship shouldn't raise any red flags...i dont know what to do about this internship (which begins in October) that i've been offered, its so good, i cant' just give it up! its a year abroad, but i'm not going to leave the country until i get my citizenship...

should i make another appointment with infopass tomorrow? i was just there friday, and i dont want to piss them off, but i'm so angry! i thought at first i'd get the july ceremony, but when i didnt' it was no biggier. but i havent' even gotten a letter for the august ceremony which is making me anxioius!

what is stopping you from travelling out of the country. I am in Costa Rica now. You can travel. Make sure someone reliable checks your mail while your are away. After you get the letter u come back for the Oath cermony. YOU CAN TRAVEL.

I am in the same boat. My case is straight forward too. No criminal record or any other misfeasance....

By the way, was your IO some woman named Lupe? Stupid bitch is very incompetent. She is still holding on to my file even though she told me during the interview that everything looked perfect and the OL should be in mail within 2 weeks.

I am in the same boat. My case is straight forward too. No criminal record or any other misfeasance....

By the way, was your IO some woman named Lupe? Stupid bitch is very incompetent. She is still holding on to my file even though she told me during the interview that everything looked perfect and the OL should be in mail within 2 weeks.

lol, no, my IO was a guy, and he was really nice...i let him know too that I was looking into internships abroad for September, and he told me not to worry, that I'd get my OL before then.

the internship would be in the middle east until oct. 2010. flying back just for my Oath Ceremony is going to be pretty expensive...

My interview date is on August 19th. Does anyone of you think that an IO would be kind enough to let me join the August 20th Oath? Just wondering ........

My interview date is on August 19th. Does anyone of you think that an IO would be kind enough to let me join the August 20th Oath? Just wondering ........

I think it is highly unlikely. Unless the San Jose office has changed that is not enough time for them to issue the certificate and everything. In order for you to have the oath the next day after the interview they would have to give you the oath letter in hand, plus go out of their way to issue the certificate and add you to whatever list for the oath on the 20th. Anyway, there is no harm in asking, please let us know what they tell you.

Interview experience

Went for interview today. Put the appointment letter in a window and then waited for more than 20 minutes. Called in by an oriental lady. First step - raise your right hand and swear to tell the truth. Next - she looked at the driver's licesnse passport (new and old one) and green card. Then she asked all the questions that were filled on N 400(addresses/ trips/ marital status/all the questions on allegiance and good moral standing).She looked at the addresses and period of stay in US and matched the travel dates that I had mentioned with those in the passport.
She wrote on the application that no trip was more than 6 months.

I had not mentioned any citiation in my N-400 app in May. When she asked the question about citation, I mentioend that I had a $130 citation for speeding and went to traffic school. She incldued that in the application. She asked if I was involved in drunk driving and I replied in the negative. That was also added on to the application.
Then she administed the reading (Who can vote) and writing (Citizens can vote) and the civics test
Finally she gave a paper that said I have passed the test and have been recommended for approval. I asked her if August oath date is possible. She said that decision will be made on your case and a letter mailed to you in 1 to 3 months.
Whole process took around 20 - 30 minutes. Now keeping fingers crossed for getting a quick oath letter.

You will get the 24Sep09 Oath date

Went for interview today. Put the appointment letter in a window and then waited for more than 20 minutes. Called in by an oriental lady. First step - raise your right hand and swear to tell the truth. Next - she looked at the driver's licesnse passport (new and old one) and green card. Then she asked all the questions that were filled on N 400(addresses/ trips/ marital status/all the questions on allegiance and good moral standing).She looked at the addresses and period of stay in US and matched the travel dates that I had mentioned with those in the passport.

I had not mentioned any citiation in my N-400 app in May. When she asked the question about citation, I mentioend that I had a $130 citation for speeding and went to traffic school. She incldued that in the application. She asked if I was involved in drunk driving and I replied in the negative. That was also added on to the application.
Then she administed the reading (Who can vote) and writing (Citizens can vote) and the civics test
Finally she gave a paper that said I have passed the test and have been recommended for approval. I asked her if August oath date is possible. She said that decision will be made on your case and a letter mailed to you in 1 to 3 months.
Whole process took around 20 - 30 minutes. Now keeping fingers crossed for getting a quick oath letter.

You will get the 24Sep09 Oath date. In approx 10-15 days u will get the oath letter for 24Sep09

Any friend know the oath date schedule in San Jose? Is it bi-weekly?

thanks in advance

i wish they were bi-weekly! No, they're once a month at Campbell....here's the schedule

http://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/heritagetheatre/events.htm

i wish they were bi-weekly! No, they're once a month at Campbell....here's the schedule

This is new. I didn't see the Oct. one till today. October ones is on 29th? Oh.. it's kinda long. I am going to have Interview on mid Sept. Now I can only expect to have oath on 10/29 then. Good for Nov. people though, it's on Nov. 11.

Just started

Just started. Let it roll!

- Jerry
---
San Jose, CA
08/07/2009 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix (with confirmation, a waste of money)
08/10/2009 - N-400 received
?/?/2009 - Check cashed
?/?/2009 - Notice Date of Fingerpoint
?/?/2009 - Fingerprint Notice received
?/?/2009 - Fingerprints taken
?/?/2009 - Case File Review Notice dated
?/?/2009 - Case File Review Notice received
?/?/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview dated
?/?/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview received
?/?/2009 - Interview Scheduled

Congratulations !

I have my interview tmr and have a quick question for experts here - When the officer verifies dates etc specified in the N-400 - are we expected to remember all the dates or do we just take our N-400 and read from that ? Any more details would be very helpful ?

thanks

In my case - they were expecting me to remember the dates approximately e.g. she asked me how long had I been at the current address ... I just gave an approx answer and she put a tick against it. I was carrying a duplicate copy of N 400 but didn't pull it out. The intent is to verify all the dates. Good luck. You may want to consider asking the officer if Aug 20 oath date is possible. No harm and you may just get lucky