San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Nothing in todays mail either. Getting sick of these incompetent SOBs.

Duplicate OL is issued when one was sent and lost in mail or something. In my case, the OL has not been issued at all.

I called the 800 number and finally I was able to get some information. My case has been approved on July 6, 2009 (so nothing else is pending to be done). However, the person did not know why this IO who interviewed me did not schedule oath for me. I am gonna go back to San Jose DO to see if these idiots can tell me something. That IO who interviewed me appeared to be on drugs or something... she was confused, didn't know where the papers where... she was fumbling all over her desk to find things.... perhaps she was sick or something. Hope she is ok and not on vacation.

greenmushroom, Good luck to you on the OL enquiry at San Jose USCIS. From our experience, the San Jose USCIS will not issue a duplicate OL three days prior to the Oath ceremony. This was communicated to us by the Immigration Officer. Try your luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing in todays mail either. Getting sick of these incompetent SOBs.

Duplicate OL is issued when one was sent and lost in mail or something. In my case, the OL has not been issued at all.

I called the 800 number and finally I was able to get some information. My case has been approved on July 6, 2009 (so nothing else is pending to be done). However, the person did not know why this IO who interviewed me did not schedule oath for me. I am gonna go back to San Jose DO to see if these idiots can tell me something. That IO who interviewed me appeared to be on drugs or something... she was confused, didn't know where the papers where... she was fumbling all over her desk to find things.... perhaps she was sick or something. Hope she is ok and not on vacation.

I thought being a good saint, when you said you hoped she is ok, you were worried about her health and not your application :D

I read about the Oath Ceremonies at the Campbell Heritage theater. For those of you that have a quesion regarding the Oath, see the below experience. I like this guys is reporting, he really gave very details about the event.

On April 23, there were three Oath Ceremonies at the Campbell Heritage theater (10am, 1pm, 3pm). I attended the 1pm ceremony with Li Jiayan and her family, then stayed to "twitter" the 3pm ceremony. The tweets are time-stamped so that new citizens and their families can know what to expect during the Oath Ceremony.

I sat in the far corner of the balcony so I could text discreetly while showing the proper respect for this very, very important ceremony. Here are the "corrected" (many typos) tweets from the Oath Ceremony.

3:03 PM waiting for the 3pm Oath Ceremony to begin
3:11 PM the pre-ceremony has begun. They are talking about voting.
3:15 PM they are talking about registering to vote in Vietnamese
3:22 PM the Tagog rep from the Registar of Voters just finished speaking
3:23 PM Tagalog--not "Tagog"
3:24 PM the Spanish rep just finished (was she from Argentina?)
3:27 PM The Mandarin (not Cantonese) rep is exorting us to vote in Eng & Mandarin
3:28 PM The Santa Clara County Registgar of Voters is showing a slide show about the voter reg form
3:31 PM reg form: personal info, politic party, language, absentee ballot are being explained
3:33 PM remember: always exercise you right to vote.
3:34 PM film about the history of immigration begins
3:34 PM ellis island looks grim and hopeful
3:35 PM vietnamese refugee camp
3:36 PM old photos and new photos are made equal in black and white
3:37 PM the statue of libery is in glorious color
3:38 PM film ends. local USCIS supervisor speaks
3:39 PM Angela Tirado leads the star spangled banner
3:41 PM people cheer!
3:43 PM USCIS field director: we come from 55 different countries; we go out the door as 1 country
3:44 PM America: melting pot or stew pot?
3:45 PM Roll Call of Nation begins!
3:46 PM China!
3:46 PM India! Iran! Iraq!
3:47 PM Mexico!
3:48 PM VIETNAM--hello TAM LAM!
3:49 PM RAISE YOUR RIGHT HAND AND REPEAT AFTER ME....I HEREBY DECLARE ON OATH...
3:50 PM So help me God!
3:51 PM Congrats! Cheer! Clap! Wave flags!
3:52 PM Welcome!
3:52 PM The essence of a democracy is an engaged citizentry
3:53 PM with liberty and justice for all!
3:55 PM Thank yous...
3:55 PM My fellow citizens...sounds good, eh?
3:56 PM Closing remarks: contact Social Security about your change of status
3:58 PM The director shows his grandfather's naturalization papers, SF 1944
4:00 PM Video: AND I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!
4:01 PM (I am tearing up)
4:02 PM guests leave. new citizens receive certificates
4:02 PM GOD BLESS THE USA!!!
4:03 PM I am going to look for my former students--later!

Goodsaint:- press the issue till you solve this. You still have a time to get in 8/20. Make sure you call them every day and go to their Office. I know you're sick of them, but why not make them sick of you instead.

I hope it works out for you........

done FP today.

Here is my updates....

07/10/2009 -Application mailed
07/13/2009 - Application received/Priority Date
07/16/2009- Cheque cashed
07/20/2009- NOA received
07/31/2009 - received FP notice
08/14/2009 - FP scheduled
08/07/2009 - FP done walk-in

Tax documents.

I have started gathering documents for interview. whom should I call (or where I will get some info about this tax document to get the last five years of tax return document.

-Prajakata

I have started gathering documents for interview. whom should I call (or where I will get some info about this tax document to get the last five years of tax return document.

-Prajakata
Glad your FP is done.

I cannot post URL's till I have 15+ posts :eek:. Just do a search on "Copies of federal tax returns" in google and follow the first item.

-Prajakata

Just call IRS @ 1-800-829-8374. Follow the instruction and you will get your tax transcript in 7-10 days.

BTW, it's good that you got your FP done today. When did you go there?

-Prajakata

Getting tax documents is usually a waste of time and effort. Unless you have some circumstances, like self employed, long absences from US or things like that there is no reason to need it. That's my 2 cents :)

greenmushroom:- Did you get any really answer from the Office today?

ugh, what a waste of time! my OL hasn't been sent out, and the person helping me said she would send a request to the officer. i asked her for a date for a possible ceremony, and she couldnt' give me that information either. she told me to contact infopass in 90 days if i didn't hear anything from them.

im pretty pissed off about the whole thing, since i was planning to go abroad for an internship...it looks like the one i've been interested in isnt' going to happen :mad:

03/12/2009 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix
03/16/2008 - Priority date
03/24/2009 - Check cashed
04/03/2009 - Notice Date of Fingerpoint
04/09/2009 - Fingerprint Notice received
04/22/2009 - Fingerprints taken
05/14/2009 - Case File Review Notice dated
05/18/2009 - Case File Review Notice received
05/20/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview dated
05/22/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview received
06/29/2009 - Interview Scheduled
**/**/*** - Oath Ceremony Letter... ???????????????????

ugh, what a waste of time! my OL hasn't been sent out, and the person helping me said she would send a request to the officer. i asked her for a date for a possible ceremony, and she couldnt' give me that information either. she told me to contact infopass in 90 days if i didn't hear anything from them.

im pretty pissed off about the whole thing, since i was planning to go abroad for an internship...it looks like the one i've been interested in isnt' going to happen :mad:

Sorry to hear that. I don't know if we can go abroad between Interview and Oath if the Oath takes really long to wait?

Fp

Hi,

I was there at 2:30. Initially Guard refused and asked to come on scheduled time. then mention that I will be in Yosemite then he said go to Fresno to do fingerprinting. then I talked to him that I don't have problem in coming on scheduled time but my trip is already booked long time back and also mention that 2 to 3 is non appointment time, then he said talk to his boss. when we showed letter to officer over there he did not ask single question just asked to fill up form,and then so quick process, no one there in line or waiting but still I don't know why guard was refusing us.

-Prajakata

Just call IRS @ 1-800-829-8374. Follow the instruction and you will get your tax transcript in 7-10 days.

BTW, it's good that you got your FP done today. When did you go there?

Phoenix mailing address

Folks, a lot of people have said they mailed the app to Phoenix. i thought you have to mail it to Laguna niguel. Is that not true?

Application for Naturalization

Folks, a lot of people have said they mailed the app to Phoenix. i thought you have to mail it to Laguna niguel. Is that not true?

Go to their site USCIS website, forms and immigration and n-400. http://www.uscis.gov
Come on man, for years California residence were sending N-400 app. To Nebraska and not a Laguna Niguel
Really: - you need to get all your fact straight before you send your appl. Or it'll change the course of your appl.

Application for Naturalization
Purpose of Form :
To apply for U.S. citizenship.
Number of Pages :
Instructions: 7; Form: 10.
Edition Date :
1/22/09. 10/15/07, 07/30/07, 11/01/06, 05/31/01 can be used. No other editions accepted.
Where to File :
If you currently reside in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility

at:
USCIS
P.O. Box 21251
Phoenix, AZ 85036

For express/courier deliveries, use:
USCIS
Attn: N-400
1820 E Skyharbor Cicle S, Floor 1
Phoenix, AZ 85034

If you reside in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility at:
USCIS
P.O. Box 299026
Lewisville, TX 75029
USCIS
Attn: N-400
2501 S State Hwy 121, Bldg. #4
Lewisville, TX 75067
All naturalization applicants filing under the military provisions, section 328 or 329, should file their application at the Nebraska Service Center regardless of geographic location or jurisdiction. Please send your application to:
Nebraska Service Center
P.O. Box 87426
Lincoln, NE 68501-7426
Nebraska Service Center
850 S Street
Lincoln, NE 68508
Filing Fee :
$595 plus a biometrics fee of $80; the fee total is $675. Applicants 75 years of age or older are not charged a biometric fee; their fee total is $595. No fee is required for military applicants filing under Section 328 and 329 of the INA.
Special Instructions :
Please note: You will need Adobe Reader version 8 or higher to use this form. You can download the latest version of Adobe Reader without cost at the Related Link "Adobe Reader"
Please note: A Guide to Naturalization (Form M-476) provides important information about citizenship eligibility requirements and processing procedures. The Form N-400 application instructions often refer to information in the Guide. Therefore you should read the Guide carefully before filing this form. You may view and print the Guide from the Related Link on this page.
This version of the N-400, Application for Naturalization, is available below in two files - the instructions and the form itself.
We recommend that you download the form directly to your local computer, rather than fill it out through your web browser. Using a Windows PC, "right-click" on the link to the fillable form and select "Save Link As" (in Netscape) or "Save Target As" (in Internet Explorer) and work from the copy you save to your hard drive.
Note on Filing Fee:
Fees are accepted in the form of money order, personal check or cashiers check only. Checks should be made payable to Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

This page can be found at http://www.uscis.gov/n-400

greenmushroom,

I don't like it! You gave up early, maybe call them again and see if anything change.

You can travel btw interview and Oath, but not internship, that require a time away. Call them again and hopefully you'll get a better news and you'll travel with your US passport.

Hi,

I was there at 2:30. Initially Guard refused and asked to come on scheduled time. then mention that I will be in Yosemite then he said go to Fresno to do fingerprinting. then I talked to him that I don't have problem in coming on scheduled time but my trip is already booked long time back and also mention that 2 to 3 is non appointment time, then he said talk to his boss. when we showed letter to officer over there he did not ask single question just asked to fill up form,and then so quick process, no one there in line or waiting but still I don't know why guard was refusing us.

-Prajakata

There is no non appointment time for fingerprint. But if they're slow they most likely will do it. And late Friday and Saturday are the best time to go the Office according to the people and myself.

The way things are going, if you applied 90 days prior to your 5yrs anniversary, early fingerprint is not encouraged. You might risk of getting interview before you complete your 5yrs residence. AND,,,, if this happen, you'll have to reschedule your interview (not much of a accomplish there).

Getting tax documents is usually a waste of time and effort. Unless you have some circumstances, like self employed, long absences from US or things like that there is no reason to need it. That's my 2 cents :)

Huracan is right

Most people experience some level of anxiety during an interview and exam. However, when anxiety affects interview/exam performance it has become a problem. General preparation/building confidence: Get it if you can without spending to much time and going crazy over it. However, you’ll have to have it if you’re applying base on marriage, self employed, long absences.

Some interesting observations about my case (ND 3/18/2009, ID: 6/30/2009). I called the 800 number on Friday morning. Spoke with the second level agent, he told me my case was approved on July 6, 2009. However, he wasn't sure why the IO did not schedule the oath. Anyway, up until then, my online case status was still showing "Application received on March 18..." On Saturday (Aug. 8) the status was updated to "Application has been sent to a local office for the standard interview." The last updated date also changed to 8/8/2009.

I went to the local office again this morning to make inquiries. The guy was a bit rude and giving flat answers such as "you just have to wait..."

I pressed him a bit by saying that I suspected my file was lost... in response he took a print out from the system and showed me that the file is still with the IO and she access it on Friday at 3:45 PM. I then asked if it was possible to send a note to the IO and he agreed. He filled a form with my details and told me that he was going to give it to the IO.

Anyway, i just checked the online status again. It showed the last updated date as "08/09/2009."
Generally the online status is not updated even after receiving the oath letter. Don't know why my online status is being updated so frequently. Still hopeful to receive the OL in time for Aug. 20 ceremony.