San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Short answer yes. You are still a citizen of the country until the day of oath.

But I had signed an "oath of allegiance" document while with the officer. I guess it was a conditional one - If I become a citizen.....

By the way, although the officer said "application recommended for approval", what does that mean? Is that the final approval?

Nope, you didn't sign any oath of allegiance at the interview. You signed your willingness to take the oath at the ceremony. They put the oath on the application so you know what you are signing up for, but that doesn't mean you are taking the oath when you sign the application during the interview.
Nothing is final or completely approved until you take the oath. That's why the paper says recommended for approval. However, I still have to see an application that was recommended for approval and was later denied, so don't worry, you just need to wait until the oath letter.
Don't sweat it, you are not a US citizen until you take the oath at the ceremony.

Sept 2008 N-400 Sanjose tracker

09/03/08 : Mailed application
09/04/08 : Application received
09/05/08 : Check cashed
09/09/08 : Receipt date
Waiting for finger print notice....is there anyone on the same boat like mine?

Wait for few days

Hi,

Wait for few more days. I got finger printing notice 3 days after I got my receipt.

Hi Huracan,

I see that you had also applied for N-600 and N-565 after you got your citizenship status. Wondering why ? (if it is something I need to do too ? etc.)
Thanks

mar/4thWk/08 FP done
jun/1stWk/08 received notice to appear for naturalization initial interview
jul/4thWk/08 naturalization initial interview
aug/4thWk/08 received oath ceremony invite letter :)
sep/3rdWk/08 oath ceremony! :D

Zindagi,

I traveled overseas after passing the interview. I had to request postponing my Oath Ceremony because of my travel (I was scheduled to take Oath right in the middle of my vacation). Subsequently I received a letter saying my Oath Ceremony has been descheduled. Few weeks later I received another Oath Ceremony notice.

Hi Huracan,

I see that you had also applied for N-600 and N-565 after you got your citizenship status. Wondering why ? (if it is something I need to do too ? etc.)
Thanks

mar/4thWk/08 FP done
jun/1stWk/08 received notice to appear for naturalization initial interview
jul/4thWk/08 naturalization initial interview
aug/4thWk/08 received oath ceremony invite letter :)
sep/3rdWk/08 oath ceremony! :D

Huracan applied N600 for citizenship certificate for his kid. He applied N565 for correction to the citizenship certificate. If you have kids under 18, they automatically become citizens the day you take oath. But for proof of this that can be needed at some point in time, its safer to apply for this. If this situation applies to you, you may follow that as well. I do hope that you do not have to apply 565 since it takes ages to process

sv786,

Thanks for answering the question ;) You nailed it :) Yes, it looks like I'll have to wait some more months for the N-565 to be processed. Hopefully anyone else who applies for a N600 for their children don't have to endure having to send a N-565 to get errors on the certificate corrected. At least there are a couple of positive things (I try to see the good in all this), one was that we didn't have to go to an "interview" for the N-600 and the N-565 doesn't cost me any money because they made the mistake. I know I would have rather had the interview and a correct certificate than this, but all said and done I don't have any immediate need for that certificate. My kid already has passport book and passport card, so that should be sufficient proof of citizenship for the foreseeable future.

Anyone who got Oath letter after interview in September 2008

Has anyone received Oath letter after interviewing in the first or second week of September 2008 (this month)?

Check my post.

Interview 9/2. Oath 9/19. I had to travel on 10/11, so the office tried to schedule me early I guess.

Got my passport back

Mailed the application last Friday. Got it back this Thu. Expedited. The state.gov online application status check never had my case in the system though.

Did you ask the officer to schedule it sooner

Check my post.

Interview 9/2. Oath 9/19. I had to travel on 10/11, so the office tried to schedule me early I guess.

Hi, thanks for responding. Did you ask the officer to schedule it sooner due to your travel?

Hi, thanks for responding. Did you ask the officer to schedule it sooner due to your travel?

The officer asked me when I would like the oath to be scheduled. I told him I'm flying to Spain on 10/11. He said he'll see what he can do, walked out of the room, came back and said both 9/12 and 9/19 are full, but he can schedule me for 9/26. Three days later, the oath letter arrived in the mail stating 9/19. I think he feels sorry for me since I was stuck in the name check for quite a while.

Interview done in San Jose

First of all, my answer to "strongestGeorge": Sorry for late reply cuz I don't visit here often. The reason why I got 2nd FP was probably because of the FBI name check: USCIS doesn't think it's necessary to do your 2nd FP BEFORE FBI name check got cleared on your case, because either way you are stuck on name check, so why not wait until the NC clearance before asking you to do 2nd FP? That's many people's educated guess. FP result is valid for just 1 year and a half.

PD: 10/30/2006
First FP: 11/25/2006
Got stuck on the notorious "FBI Name Check" since then.
Received 2nd FP notice.
Second FP: 08/20/2008
IL Letter: 08/29/2008 (yeah, that fast!)
Interview: today Oct 1st, 2008 in San Jose.

Waiting room is pretty quiet. Decoration is poor. Seen 6 to 7 officers open doors and call names. Most of them look very nice, just like average Americans. My interviewer was a young Asian lady, she's very sharp, swift, polite and professional. What she did was just to verify everything on my N-400 and write down updates on it, and conducted the civic test. The time-consuming part is my travel records, cuz I made quite a few in recent years so she had to go through my passport pages for them. Civic test part took just a minute. Note: all questions on N-400 will be re-asked, including those funny ones.

The whole process took no more than 15 minutes. At the end of that, she gave me a piece of paper saying "approval will be recommended", or something like that, and said oath ceremony notification will be sent in a month. I asked if I can make it before presidential election, she said unfortunately the probability is low.

A pleasant experience, I'd say. Good luck to all you guys.

Tracker update

Tracker update :

08/30/08 : Mailed application
09/02/08 : Application received
09/04/08 : Check cashed
09/08/08 : Receipt date [date 09/02/08]
09/12/08 : Received FP notice [date 09/09/08] :
10/01/08 : FP Done

Awaiting IL,ID,OD,PP

Hello, been reading this post and decided to post my info.
Filed documents on 7/28/08
Check cashed 8/01/08
FP notice 8/15/08
FD done 8/27/08
Been quiet since then and starting to worry.