San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Talked with NSC service agent - no new information

Called the 800 number this morning to inquire about my case. As expected, I got no real help. She asked me to call back on the 6'th August at which point they say that they can send a message to the officer who interviewed me to check on the status. She said that the norm is to wait for 120 days after the interview before any real action can be requested. August 6'th would be put me at 90 days and then they can apparently send a message to the officer.

Can anyone please let me know, What to sign on the Citizenship certificate ? Is it same as in photo or our signature, please clarify.

Thanks a lot.

Can anyone please let me know, What to sign on the Citizenship certificate ? Is it same as in photo or our signature, please clarify.

Thanks a lot.

The consensus seems to be to sign the same way you signed the photo, so the signature on the photo and on the certificate match.

"lol about the photos!! Considering people take boxes of other docs, 2 extra photos should be at the top of the list of stuff to take.

When we went last yr, there was a small booth like thingie where a vendor was selling stuff and offering photo service also I think. I wonder if I he is still there."

------------------------

Yes I know. that was a little stupid of me. And yes, the guy selling the snacks and drinks is still there. But the officer called me in 30 minutes before the closing time. Another officer also came in during my interview and he suggested to her that I could just quickly go down and get my photos done and come back and complete the procedure.
but "my" officer refused saying its too late and blah blah.
So she gave me the letter back with her name on it and asked me to come back the next day. There was no problem for me to get in the next day with the letter with her name on it.

For everyone's information, the SJ office is now issuing oath letter immediately after the interview is done. apparently there's another oath ceremony scheduled in the santa clara county fairgrounds on aug 14.

Did you get yours?

For everyone's information, the SJ office is now issuing oath letter immediately after the interview is done. apparently there's another oath ceremony scheduled in the santa clara county fairgrounds on aug 14.

Did you get your oath letter today after your interview? I remember that your PD was in February, 2008, right?

Strange, not to doubt what you say, but it seems that scheduling ceremonies at the fairgrounds with only one week difference sounds odd. Perhaps the ceremony on the 14 is back to Campbell. Who knows. For now it says nothing in the fairgrounds webpage about a ceremony on the 14, but it shows the ceremony on the 7th. It actually shows nothing for the 14, so it might be that they have taken the empty slot to do another ceremony. How did your interview go? Did you get the oath letter? Where does it say that the ceremony is going to take place?

PS: We live in interesting times. It seems that finally things are speeding up.

Hi Everyone,
My wife and I completed our interviews at the San Jose on 7/16.
The officer first asked me to swear to tell the truth.
He asked to see my green card drivers license and passport.
When I gave him these, he only looked at the green card.
Then he went through the application asked if there were any changes. I had traveled twice after submitting the application, so he updated my app. All the time he was very courteous and polite.
Then he asked the history and civics questions:
1. How many branches of the government are there?
2. Name the branches?
3. What is the minimum voting age?
4. Name the 2 senators from CA?

That's it. I thought he'd ask me at least 6 questions. But he stopped at 4.
He then asked me to write "The President lives in the White House."
He asked me to sign my photos and he specifically asked it to be the same as on the application.

Then he handed me the form with N652 with "Congratulations, your application has been recommended for approval".

During the entire interview, the officer was very friendly. Infact, after he handed me the form N652, he actually started telling me about how he has 2 kids and he is taking them to Disney World in December and then he told me had worked for IBM for several years before joining the INS. Also, he told me that that day the computers were down and that he would have to update my file later whenever the computers were back up again.

While walking me out, he said that I can expect my oath letter in 8 weeks.

My wife's interview experience (with a different officer) was pretty much the same. The only difference being she was actually handed a question paper with 10 questions and she was asked to answer 6 of them.

Overall it was a pleasant experience (surprisingly).
Good luck to everyone waiting.

Strange, not to doubt what you say, but it seems that scheduling ceremonies at the fairgrounds with only one week difference sounds odd. Perhaps the ceremony on the 14 is back to Campbell. Who knows. For now it says nothing in the fairgrounds webpage about a ceremony on the 14, but it shows the ceremony on the 7th. It actually shows nothing for the 14, so it might be that they have taken the empty slot to do another ceremony. How did your interview go? Did you get the oath letter? Where does it say that the ceremony is going to take place?

PS: We live in interesting times. It seems that finally things are speeding up.

yes i got an oath notice immediately after my interview on yesterday. The Oath notice shows that the ceremony will be in Santa Clara Fairgrounds on the 14th of August. Black and white, no doubt :)

I passed the interview but the interviewer was very detail about my application (probably becoz I applied based on marrying US citizen). The entire interview lasted about 20 mins.

Yes things sped up A LOT!!!!!! I am done with the entire journey in little bit more than 6 months in the SJ office!!!! Very amazing (at least to me).

Did you get your oath letter today after your interview? I remember that your PD was in February, 2008, right?
Yes my PD is Feb 2008.
Yes I got my letter immediately after the interview. They are issuing to successful applicants in the office immediately after the interview.

Yes my PD is Feb 2008.
Yes I got my letter immediately after the interview. They are issuing to successful applicants in the office immediately after the interview.

Hmmm .. "probably becoz I applied based on marrying US citizen" this should been the key words, i doubt less than 5% of applicants in this category, you lucky -:) ..

Naturalization interview experience

Many thanks to all the folks in this forum and other such forums for all the informative postings and for
also answering any questions specifically asked !. I have spent many a sleepless hour poring over
others responses from others and feeling grateful that others had put out a response outlining situations
and circumstances I was interested in.

My interview process went quite smoothly by the grace of the Almighty.

Hope my narrative is detailed enough to help those looking for details and not so boring for the rest !

Went into the USCIS building at SJ (30-45 minutes prior as recommended). Had to go thru the security steps....remove
shoes, put other personal stuff via the xray maching etc.
Then off to a waiting room where I found quite of few other interview candidates seated.
Dropped off the interview letter at a window in the room(was asked to do that by the security staff ).

Still had another 15 minutes to my slot. SO I started skimming thru the notes I had prepared for the civics exam.
Shortly after my name was called by a USCIS interviewing officer . Very pleasant person. Greeted me by name.
We exchanged pleasantries and was made to feel at ease.

Short walk to the interview room ( the officer's office I am guessing). Once in the room, I was asked to set
my bag aside, stand and raise my right hand and swear to speak the truth. Then I was asked provide GC and
driver's Id for verification. I was walked thru questions related to the N400 application, like DOB, residential
address etc. amongst others.

Was then asked to write down a simple sentence (spoken aloud by the officer) on the N400 form . Then I had to sign a
couple of times (cursive) on the last page of the N400 and on my photographs (the ones I had submitted
with the N400 initially) and print my name once.

Then got to sign another form after I had verified that my DOB, name etc were spelt correct on it.
I think this form is used to printup the naturalization certificate.

Was then handed a sheet with 10 US history & civics questions((eg. What do the stripes on our flag stand for ?)
listed in it. I was asked to read each question aloud and then answer it aloud. Didn't have to write on the sheet.
To the best of my recollection, all the questions on the sheet were from the 100 or so official USCIS sample questions.

Having passed the civics test, I was handed a N-652 form that indicated that I had passed the test and also
'your application has been recommended for approval'. The name of the interviewing officer was also on
the N-652 form. The officer said I should wait for a letter in the mail.
We then wished each other a good day before I left the roon. It all took less than 45 minutes.

Good luck and god bless !
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
mar/1stWk/08 sent in N400 application.
mar/2ndWk/08 received notice of receipt of N400 application.
mar/2ndWk/08 received notice to appear for fingerprinting
mar/4thWk/08 FP done
jun/1stWk/08 received notice to appear for naturalization initial interview
jul/4thWk/08 naturalization initial interview

yes i got an oath notice immediately after my interview on yesterday. The Oath notice shows that the ceremony will be in Santa Clara Fairgrounds on the 14th of August. Black and white, no doubt :)

I passed the interview but the interviewer was very detail about my application (probably becoz I applied based on marrying US citizen). The entire interview lasted about 20 mins.

Yes things sped up A LOT!!!!!! I am done with the entire journey in little bit more than 6 months in the SJ office!!!! Very amazing (at least to me).

Thanks for the clarification. I am curious to see if this way of doing things sticks or not in San Jose. It will remove a lot of anxiety from people having to wait for their oath letters in the mail.

Got today my and wife's Oath letter for Aug'14th @ Fairgrounds .. So, it is for sure there going to be another ceremony at same venue in a week gap .. My Interview date was 06/24 and PD 09/10 ..

shock!!!

My oath got canceled by USCIS!!

I received letter today, stating that my oath on Aug 8 at San Jose USCIS got canceled.

How can that happen!! While everyone got their oath letter, my oath got canceled!!

Got today my and wife's Oath letter for Aug'14th @ Fairgrounds .. So, it is for sure there going to be another ceremony at same venue in a week gap .. My Interview date was 06/24 and PD 09/10 ..

Damn... my interview and priority dates are exactly the same as yours... but my oath letter hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully soon!

May be a change of location

My oath got canceled by USCIS!!

I received letter today, stating that my oath on Aug 8 at San Jose USCIS got canceled.

How can that happen!! While everyone got their oath letter, my oath got canceled!!
May be you will get a new letter for the Aug 7'th or 14'th at the fairgrounds. What was the venue on your original letter?

Congratulations! San Jose is really pushing the pedal to the metal.